Regarding Dice and Card Games in the Taverns

I posted this question earlier but I placed it under the wrong category. I apologize for that.

I have heard that there will be dice and card games people can participate in within the taverns. Will these games be done strictly through the in game chat or will players be able to see the actual dice and cards when playing the games (like in Fable, for example)?
sig-Samson-Final.gif

Comments

• TehonatakeTehonatake Member, Intrepid Pack
    I believe TBA. Sorry. however, the tavern system has a lot of potential. And your card game example gets my thumbs up!
  • unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    This is what is currently known. https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Parlor_games
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • The worry with gambling is in certain countries there are rules against even fictional gambling, because it can fuel addiction/habits or be used with real world currency outside of the mechanics of the game, so some laws prohibit it. At least that was StarCitizen's stance on why gambling isn't allowed :c

I would hate if that ruined our fun to have gambling in this game though, but I do understand if that's the case and wouldn't complain.
  • SamsonSamson Member
    The worry with gambling is in certain countries there are rules against even fictional gambling, because it can fuel addiction/habits or be used with real world currency outside of the mechanics of the game, so some laws prohibit it. At least that was StarCitizen's stance on why gambling isn't allowed :c

I would hate if that ruined our fun to have gambling in this game though, but I do understand if that's the case and wouldn't complain.

Hmm... that would indeed be very unfortunate. I hope that will not be a factor... Parlor games seem like an awesome atmospheric addition to the taverns.
    sig-Samson-Final.gif
  • edited July 2020
    Samson wrote: »
    The worry with gambling is in certain countries there are rules against even fictional gambling, because it can fuel addiction/habits or be used with real world currency outside of the mechanics of the game, so some laws prohibit it. At least that was StarCitizen's stance on why gambling isn't allowed :c

Hmm... that would indeed be very unfortunate. I hope that will not be a factor... Parlor games seem like an awesome atmospheric addition to the taverns.

Agreed. It's something I'm super excited for and I really, really want my own tavern in game where people can come and relax and play.

... and make me rich >:)
  • tugowartugowar Member, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I want to play dice and games like that final fantasy game.

Thanks

Virtue is the only good.
  • I would love to see parlor games be more than just scrolling text in the chat screen and for card games it would be wonderful to see different deck styles depending on what race or type of node the tavern exists in! (Like deck with elven aesthetics for an elven node, for example.)
    ezgif-3-b7b5eae89b.gif
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    I can't speak for all countries involved, but with the fact that gold can't be bought with real money, most countries would be accepting of this if Intrepid put actual real effort in to preventing third party gold sellers.

The problem most online gambling has run in to has either been the open willingness of the games publisher/developer to sell the in game currency for real money themselves, or their complete unwillingness to do anything about third party sellers.
  • noaani wrote: »
    I can't speak for all countries involved, but with the fact that gold can't be bought with real money, most countries would be accepting of this if Intrepid put actual real effort in to preventing third party gold sellers.

The problem most online gambling has run in to has either been the open willingness of the games publisher/developer to sell the in game currency for real money themselves, or their complete unwillingness to do anything about third party sellers.

That's a good point and a big difference between StarCitizen and Ashes. StarCitizen does allow the buying of in-game currency for real money and AoC doesn't.

So maybe we're fine to gamble in game. I sure as hell hope so!