Gathering actions thoughts....

akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
Some many older MMORPG`s have gathering pre-set actions and a player`s character goes through the actions but they often lack meaning. Using lumbering as an example of what might be worth improving:

Chopping a tree at a side and in breaks in half after two strokes at 2m above the head of your character.
Chopping a tree of 0.2m in diameter and 1m in diameter takes the same time.
Chop a tree and you get wood, but the tree is still there.

Where as a recent MMORPG,

Where you chop at a tree is where it breaks
Different sized trees took different durations to cut
When a tree was cut it fell, and it fell with a sound that REALLY felt like it had fallen for all those in a fair proximity to hear and feel.
When a tree was cut, it stayed on the ground for some time and a stump remained for a considerable time before respawning.

These were touches that made a difference to what is often a mundane experience...

Comments

• I completely agree.
    "Magic is not a tool, little one. It is a river that unites us in its current."

I heard a bird ♫
  • Yeap, animations should feel natural. That being said we haven't seen neither the animations nor do we know what professions there will be :-(
  • SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Would add extra depth to World PvP. If you could cut trees and they'd become a barrier, you could ambush Caravans easier. I know a lot of people are against World PvP (Not the Caravan System but World PvP in general) but Guild Wars will happen in Open World and I would love the in-depth association were a flank could be covered by cut trees. It won't happen but I can dream. I heard Steven say some fallen trees will block paths in some seasons.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Wandering MistWandering Mist Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    So, what you're asking for is more "realistic" gathering animations. That's all well and good but you can very easily fall into a trap of making them too long and involved. When that happens, and you have to do the same action thousands of times, it can get very tedious very quickly. That's why when you go to open a door in a game, your character doesn't physically reach out, turn the handle and pull the door open, because it takes way too long.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • XenotorXenotor Member
    edited July 2020
    Would be nice if they add a "skill check" system to gathering like the generator repair in Dead by daylight or Friday the 13 the game.

To explain.
    In Dead by daylight you have a circle while repairing the generator. At random times a skill check apears where a small bar moved around the circle and you have to klick at the right time to suceed.
    If you get it right then your progress jumps a good ammound.
    While if you fail you loose part of your progress.
    You can also critical succeed to make a major jump in progrss. See the video below.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rED_nSVTf-0

In Friday the 13 the game you too have a cricle that slowly fills up. On the circle are marked spots and higher your repair skill is ( Your gathering level) The larger are the spots.
    If you manage to click while the progress is direktly on the spot then the gathering speed increases.
    While it slows down if you fail.
    https://youtu.be/bPIhVcRsYyE?t=11

So regardless of the system, you can become really fast at the task if you are good at the skill check or slow if you fail.
    I would really like to have a checkbox that asks "Do you want to aktivate skill checks"
    So that these that like them and are good at them can increase their gathering speed while these that want to have the old "Klick once and wait" system can have it too.

Hells on some days i would like the chalange and on others i want to mindlesly gather the ressources so a checkbox is deffently a must.
    53ap2sc6pdgv.gif