Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Necromancer Class Ideas and what other MMO's did wrong with them.

FrogFrog Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
INTRODUCTION Hello, some of you people may know me as Necro Pepe on the Ashes of Creation discord. I am very passionate for necromancy. So many games messed up necromancer class and never sticks to the ideals of a necromancer. Note: I will only be talking about the necromancy for summoning zombies and skeletons, the evil side and I will try to keep this short.

What went wrong. So you can see like GW2 has a necromancer class but it really revolves more around "Grim Reaper" Kinda style, now that is cool and all. But that's not a necromancer. Now, lets take a look at WoW Death Knight. Now I know that it isn't a necromancer class but has enough similarities to be compared. They got the undead legion feeling right. But It is in bursts. long CD bursts. Between the bursts you don't do anything minion related, just build up resources and dump them on dealing damage from you directly, now this is a death knight class and not a necromancer so that is fair but still wanted to point it out.

Amazing class fantasy opportunities. Necromancers have the most amazing class fantasy around. You raise fallen lads to mindlessly fight for you, you're an commander for your undead army. For what ever reason you have chosen this unholy power and are adventuring to increase it, learning more about it. Now that couple lines of text gets me revving up for an adventure. Now Steven has not confirmed OR denied any sort of corpse magic for necromancy. He has stated that our summons will not need corpses which I personally think is a good call. But I think some abilities tied to corpse magic would complete this class fantasy. An example would be raising temporary summons alongside your perm summons from npc corpses. Like maybe an undead archer for 15 seconds from a npc corpse on a 45 CD, something like that.

Cool Ideas. 1. Draining magic. I think it would be cool if the necromancer can drain some targets health slowly over time and then use some of the necromancers health to summon more/increase the power of the summons.
2. Corpse Magic, like I said before using a corpse to summon a temp summon as an example. This will not only add onto class fantasy but makes the class unique as well. Not to mention RPing sacrifices to summon undead. This is what I really am passionate about for adding. 3. Making undead. I think it would be cool if necromancers killed something when they go to loot it they drop some bones. And you can use these bones for more temp/perm summons. Then it really feels like we are really building our summons.

Keep in mind these are ideas from a passionate Necromancer. Some of these might be amazing ideas and some shit ideas you never know. This is just so the devs are getting an idea with what most necromancer mains in the future would want.

Note: Obv this is all for necromancer class. But if anyone here is just as passionate about a certain class I encourage you to make a post like this so the devs could see our ideas.

Thank you for reading.

Comments

• Options
    GoaBGoaB Member
    One game that certainly got the necromancer class wrong is ESO. You are able to summon two "pets" for a very short duration (12 seconds. 6 in one morph case). None of the ultimates summon anything.
  • Options
    LingerLinger Member
    GoaB wrote: »
    One game that certainly got the necromancer class wrong is ESO. You are able to summon two "pets" for a very short duration (12 seconds. 6 in one morph case). None of the ultimates summon anything.

I completely agree, necromancer in ESO feels more like a mage with bone oriented skills. Been playing that class since the release of Elsweyr and although it was strong as dps It completely missed the whole feel of raising your own army and sending it to fight for you.

• Options
    LingerLinger Member
    I don't play on playing a necromancer in AoC but I'd like to see them to get the necromancer right (maybe I re-roll to it in the future who knows). I believe there needs to be several summon skills. First, there needs to be a few permanent summons like skeleton archer, skeleton warrior, skeleton guardian etc.. (probably would cap it at like 5 units since it could get quite tedious for others if you had an army permanently following you). What I believe to be needed as necromancer is an ultimate that summons several mobs, could be anything from summoning skeleton hounds to zombie golems or some mix. It makes the whole necromancer class feel like you are the commander of your own army. Of course It's not doable to have 20 summons permanently following you, so I believe that having them as an ultimate is the best way to go about it.

I would also like to see buff oriented skills that make your summons stronger, or heal them. Also some skills that make summons share health with you could be interesting. Now that could end up with necromancer being too strong, so that will probably need some serious balancing. However, necromancer should mainly revolve around the summons and not some "grim reaper" type skills. I'm curious how AoC handles the necromancer class, hopefully we will have an actual necromancer and not another grim reaper.
  • Options
    Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Guildwars had (in my opinion) the best representation of the Necromancer, being able to summon a horde of undead creatures, cause disease and hex foes into oblivion. It was great fun to use.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Q: Love necromancy and raising fellow players as undeads, does the philosophy behind necro match zombies/skeletons etc?
    A: The way summoning works is, players have active abilities to summon summons. The types of summons you can summon will be split into Tank/Healer/DPS summons. So you gotta choose which ones you want to use for which encounter. As you apply the cleric secondary class and activate life or death, you radically adjust the types of summons and they take on the sub-type of undead, zombies, skeletons. Are the summons permanent? When you make a summon it will not time out, it will exist until you log out or it dies. Your abilities as a summon can be through augmenting and buffing or healing your summon or you will have more complimentary type active skills to cast and synergize with summons. Your decision as a summoner to allocate skill points will be your choice.
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    XraelXrael Member
    edited July 2020
    Nagash wrote: »
    Q: Love necromancy and raising fellow players as undeads, does the philosophy behind necro match zombies/skeletons etc?
    A: The way summoning works is, players have active abilities to summon summons. The types of summons you can summon will be split into Tank/Healer/DPS summons. So you gotta choose which ones you want to use for which encounter. As you apply the cleric secondary class and activate life or death, you radically adjust the types of summons and they take on the sub-type of undead, zombies, skeletons. Are the summons permanent? When you make a summon it will not time out, it will exist until you log out or it dies. Your abilities as a summon can be through augmenting and buffing or healing your summon or you will have more complimentary type active skills to cast and synergize with summons. Your decision as a summoner to allocate skill points will be your choice.

Steven answered a similar question in his ama recently. This is the answer that he gave.
  • Options
    Nagash wrote: »

Steven answered a similar question in his ama recently. This is the answer that he gave.

I know. that's why I posted it
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    CaricCaric Member
    So, new here. I took a look at the class combo's through a stream and didn't see a "necromancer" class combo. I did a search on here for necromancer and only see 2 threads. What I get from this thread is you would take summoner then cleric and that's a necromancer?
  • Options
    Caric wrote: »
    So, new here. I took a look at the class combo's through a stream and didn't see a "necromancer" class combo. I did a search on here for necromancer and only see 2 threads. What I get from this thread is you would take summoner then cleric and that's a necromancer?

Yes, clerics in classical RPG games have a variety of different schools of abilities, one of which is centered around sapping life from other being and death as a whole. The idea is to give a more 'death/undeath' based flavor (i hate that word) for the summoner class and change the base abilities of the summoner to something undeath like.
  • Options
    I can think of only one game that got necromancer right
  • Options
    BobbyBickBobbyBick Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Vanguard necro best necro. Your pet had permanent gear slots that you acquired by harvesting organs from dead enemies, with a little RNG involved as to what you harvested. Too bad about the rest of the game.
  • Options
    EverQuest wrote: »
    I can think of only one game that got necromancer right

I can think of a few but there not MMOS :D
    nJ0vUSm.gif