Suggestion for a system from Atlatica Online

Hi,

I just want to put this suggestion out there:

In Atlantica Online, I really liked the "random gift to a new player" system.
Basically, when you got to some arbitrary high level, you gained an option to gain some EXP by sending a gift (item or gold) to a RANDOM low level player.

I remember I really liked it as a new player, because you got this non-invasive icon on the screen, that said you recieved a gift, and you could accept it or not, and it usually was some kind of a white trash high-level item, that when sold to a vendor, gave you a lot of gold anyway (for your low level). Sometimes it was a high level food / consumables etc.

But the most important thing that it did, was that it immediately gave you a sense of community in the game. It felt like people are playing the game, and that the high level players are here to help you out. I personally felt incentivised to help someone else as well.

These kind of things reduce the toxicity in the game and help crating a nice community. In general, I think there should be some kind of a reward system, for positive in-game social behavior.

Comments

• Wandering MistWandering Mist Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I'm not really sure how pressing a button to send a random gift to a random new player reduces toxicity.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • It's hard to explain if you don't get it.

Toxicity in games exist mostly because of pressure to be better than everyone else, and when you feel incentivised to make other people's live harder by ganking etc.

In WoW, open world PvP was a lot of fun, but if you only gank people and /spit on them, it doesn't really make people love the community you know?

But when you get a free gift from a high level player, that is actually usefull to you on a low level, it gives you immediate sence of gratitude towards the community. This is how.

I can't explain it better. If you want to see it for yourself you have to play that game or something, I don't know.
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Jujumon wrote: »
    It's hard to explain if you don't get it.

Toxicity in games exist mostly because of pressure to be better than everyone else, and when you feel incentivised to make other people's live harder by ganking etc.

In WoW, open world PvP was a lot of fun, but if you only gank people and /spit on them, it doesn't really make people love the community you know?

But when you get a free gift from a high level player, that is actually usefull to you on a low level, it gives you immediate sence of gratitude towards the community. This is how.

I can't explain it better. If you want to see it for yourself you have to play that game or something, I don't know.

Toxicity. And you lost me
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Whatever, do what you want. That was my 2 Cents.
    Jujumon wrote: »
    It's hard to explain if you don't get it.

In my experience, the majority of toxicity comes when you rely on a teammate to do a certain action and they do something else.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • The suggestion I made, doesn't really aim to fix toxicity in games.
    It just helps making the community a bit more friendly and it gave new players a sense of community right from the start.

You probably think it's dumb, but in my opinion it's very important to incentivise people to interact with eachother in as many positive ways as possible.

Look, I'll be honest I see the suggestion as kinda random. Does it actively hurt the game if it were implemented? No. Is it going to reduce toxicity in the community? Also no. Is it a waste of development time? The jury's out on that one.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • For such an ambitious game, yes, it is important to get as much of the development time as possible on what matters the most, for sure.

Still, small things matter. These small things usually get the most appreciation when the developers have the time to put them in.