Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Why Multiboxing is Pay2Win

runestonerunestone Member
edited July 2020 in General Discussion
Ashes of creation is built around a team game or collaboration of many players.
More specifically and definitively, the ability of "different" people to "try" and "coordinate" their actions, in a "collaborative" manner for "mutual" gain (ie teamwork).
The better this collection of unique actors are at coordinating their activity, the greater the rewards, via the greater chance of success.

Multiboxing replaces that teamwork, so that "one" player can be "all eight" unique and mutually dependent classes.
There is no need for "multiple" people to "coordinate" together with "teamwork", if "one" player is(/can be) the whole team of "eight" players.
It is a given, that all eight of the players characters, is going to know exactly what each other is going to do, when they are going to do it and why they are going to do it.
In effect, multiboxing replaces the "multi player" aspect of "team play" based game components, with a "single player" game.
In my humble opinion, that makes a mockery of the very foundations and intent, of Ashes of Creation.

It is "pay to win", because the ability to have "100% knowledge" of what your eight players will do and when (beforehand/during/afterward), is a clear advantage.
Especially if any aspects of the the environment is scripted, which allows those players to be premedatively coordinated autonomously, by a click of a button.

Thats before we even get to the matter of being a harvester/processor/crafter/fighter all at the same time and once again, completely negating the objective, of creating a "mutually dependant eco-system", that relies on "other" players to perform "unique" roles. If I can create my legendary gear all by myself, as I have full control over the "whole supply chain", what was the point of "seperating" the supply chain out ? The community dependancy concept of a true MMORPG is lost. The rules are broken.

Thats my stance and my reasoned argument for holding that stance.
Prove me wrong.

Comments

• Options
    How will you multi-box 8 different classes all together without more complex programs/scripts (which aren't allowed)?
  • Options
    tugowartugowar Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    unknown.png

Virtue is the only good.
  • Options
    XraelXrael Member
    tugowar wrote: »
    unknown.png

This right here. Had he mentioned this in the interview, people wouldn't be posting so many discussions about multiboxing. Most people don't remember that addons don't exist in AoC, unlike in WoW, so you cannot master control multiple accounts at once like in WoW.
  • Options
    I multi-boxed back in EQ2 like 3 accounts. It was a fun and exciting experience.
    We just bought a Super-Wide Samsung this year; I wouldn't mind 2-boxing AoC just to see how that plays.

The issue I see with this from a boxer's perspective is having to cough up twice the money for cosmetics and monthly subs.

The p2w aspect although none in game...may actually exist by multi-boxing, this I would have to agree.
  • Options
    I can understand it from a business perspective. But if your allowing it as you mentioned above. You would still need to keep a close eye on the markets of available materials. Because the only time I see multi boxing helping a game is when its dying.
  • Options
    yep , which is why I agree this is where p2w may be foreseeable
  • Options
    Probable something we'll have to wait and see. Its not like they will let a Multi boxer into alpha/beta to test how much that messes with gathering/grinding materials.
  • Options
    CaricCaric Member
    I feel that Pay 2 Win is thrown around way to much without people actually knowing what p2w is.
    Pay to win is being able to buy something you can't get in game that gives you an advantage over someone who doesn't or can't buy the same item. Pay for convenience is the ability to buy something that allows you to progress faster that you can't get in game without IRL money. I have to disagree that multi-boxing is p2w in any form. Just make sure to keep an eye on things like they had in EQ2, which was, ISXEQ2, that's a full scripting program and actually fairly hard to detect. Although there are ways. That is something I'm completely against. I did like how EQ2 allowed for custom UI's, not to the extent of WoW's, but made a nice UI.
    I don't see Steven, after hearing him on summit1g and shroud's Q&A, watching the AMA, allowing something like p2w in his game. I have a lot of respect for him concerning this. This will be the first game I'm considering buying the beefy founder's pack to get into the alpha's/beta's based on this. As a player that loves alpha and beta testing games (I've done a lot), I hope that he allows for multi-boxing in the alpha and beyond to test and see if there's a detriment to the game.

I look forward to playing with all of you. Cheers.