Scouting?

I am extremely curious how Ashes of Creation plans to deal with information gathering. Not only is scouting for potential caravans to attack or raid groups to attack important, but the counter play of avoiding large groups is also important.

Are there classes that can have access to remotely view areas?
Are there classes that have low combat effectiveness but higher speed?

Ideally these seems well suited to the ranger or perhaps the rogue but thus far there is really no mention of how either of these classes will be able to accomplish this any better than any other class.

Comments

• Scouting exists in eve online. I wonder if this will be a thing here too.

Wiki says ranger have tracking. How far he can see tho.
  • SivrogSivrog Member
    I have played Eve online for 5+ years and obviously fantasy vs sci fi differences in information gathering are huge. Scouting and covert information gathering on a political scale in eve are huge game drivers.

While I am not advocating for scouting and spying to exist at the levels they did in Eve, I do think there should be some amount of this gameplay in ANY sandbox. It would be both monotonous and sad, if you wanted to act as a highway robber but could only watch one section of one path along a trade route.
  • UmataUmata Member
    Honestly I didn't even consider scouting as a gameplay mechanic until I saw this post and now that I think about it I I think this should be adressed by the game. Not just to protect a cavaran but also to spot valuable resources!

What about this: the Dwarves could have a passive of some sort that allows them to see ores from a greater distance ? That would be cool.
    Join our Pirate Crew : the Sharktooth Pirates! Let's have an adventure on the seas of Verra and kill our enemies!

https://discord.gg/gFuVBPdBRa
  • XraelXrael Member
    Sivrog wrote: »
    I am extremely curious how Ashes of Creation plans to deal with information gathering. Not only is scouting for potential caravans to attack or raid groups to attack important, but the counter play of avoiding large groups is also important.

Are there classes that can have access to remotely view areas?
    Are there classes that have low combat effectiveness but higher speed?

Ideally these seems well suited to the ranger or perhaps the rogue but thus far there is really no mention of how either of these classes will be able to accomplish this any better than any other class.

I mean, we have a literal class called Scout. Also, Steven said in the AMA that rangers would be able to track and stuff. We'll see more in depth info about the classes as the alphas roll out.
  • TSGTSG Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    There has been some talk of spyglasses that some classes may have access to, which would increase their field of vision/distance they can see. Time will tell overall though.