Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

PSA to all NEW members / posters

mrwafflesmrwaffles Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
Every 6 months AOC gets on the radar / news and the forums get a pretty big population spike. I call it a spike and not growth because 90% of the spike leaves shortly after a post or two. So To all new people:

[TO ALL NEW MEMBERS AND POSTERS]

Welcome to AOC. I know you saw a video that gots you all hyped but take a look around before you start asking for this game to be X or not be Y. The community will listen to your opinion but first use the search box in the top right of the screen and I bet there is already a post on what you're trying to share. Read through the forum and see if your questions get answered, but please do your due diligence. The community is not here to talk you off the cliff of "supporting" this MMO.

[TO ALL THE VETERANS]

Weather the storm and keep weeding through the trolls, griefers, and instigaters. Because there are still some new people that will be your new comrades for the remaining wait (who knows they might be new guildys). It's just that time where this happens and the trolls descend but if this keeps happening that just means the project is worth the attention.

@LieutenantToast feel free to delete/lock this post if you feel it will just trigger more people and do more harm then good.
E6qgOoi.png

Comments

• Options
    AardvarkAardvark Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Trying to figure out if you are wishing or dreaming this is an MMO forum pre-release it's going to be chaos
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    This. Just all of this
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    GumdropsGumdrops Member, Explorer, Kickstarter
    Just another hype train that you can skip, see you next year
    Reminder to stay on topic
  • Options
    As a newly registered user, I appreciate this post. It's good to remind people to check their perspective and move forward accordingly.

Thank you.
  • Options
    mrwafflesmrwaffles Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Kilroko wrote: »
    As a newly registered user, I appreciate this post. It's good to remind people to check their perspective and move forward accordingly.

Thank you.

Right on and welcome to the community. I can tell you're going to stick around. One of the first things you did was update your profile image lol. It's the bare minimum but you'd be surprised how little to no new member does it.
    E6qgOoi.png
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    mrwaffles wrote: »
    Kilroko wrote: »

Thank you.

Right on and welcome to the community. I can tell you're going to stick around. One of the first things you did was update your profile image lol. It's the bare minimum but you'd be surprised how little to no new member does it.

That is because they said you have to "own" the image and most people don't "own" an avatar image they want. Also tons of people are in violation of the rule...I have seen famous pictures being used aleady. The account Alizee using a picture of her from like 15 years ago comes to mind unless you think she is really playing using her own name and a photo from when she was a teen...
    I'm also seeing LOTR pics and famous cartoons...if you didn't take it, draw it, or buy the rights, then you don't own the image.
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Another PSA to new (and probably temporary) posters: don’t post thinking that your idea will be here for posterity. I think this is the 3rd version of the AoC forums I’ve posted on (I kind of lost track) and I wouldn’t be shocked if they wipe them and start them again someday.

(At least burning everything and starting again fits the whole “phoenix” symbolism.)

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Aardvark wrote: »
    That is because they said you have to "own" the image and most people don't "own" an avatar image they want. Also tons of people are in violation of the rule...I have seen famous pictures being used aleady. The account Alizee using a picture of her from like 15 years ago comes to mind unless you think she is really playing using her own name and a photo from when she was a teen...
    I'm also seeing LOTR pics and famous cartoons...if you didn't take it, draw it, or buy it, then you don't own the image.

I saw Alizee and recalled Moi Lolita - Played Moi Lolita and appreciated the cultural injection. lol
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    I'm also seeing LOTR pics and famous cartoons...if you didn't take it, draw it, or buy the rights, then you don't own the image.

Not in the posted rules. In fact I’ve never seen that rule on any message board and I’ve posted to dozens (hundreds?) of them, so it would be a really bizarre rule. :confused:

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Atama wrote: »

Not in the posted rules. In fact I’ve never seen that rule on any message board and I’ve posted to dozens (hundreds?) of them, so it would be a really bizarre rule. :confused:

When you click to set the image it literally pops up "By uploading a file you certify that you have the right to distribute this picture and that it does not violate the Terms of Service."
    Try reading as half the avatar images are things people do not have the right to distribute or own the image as that would also give them the distrubution rights
  • Options

When you click to set the image it literally pops up "By uploading a file you certify that you have the right to distribute this picture and that it does not violate the Terms of Service."
    Try reading as half the avatar images are things people do not have the right to distribute or own the image as that would also give them the distrubution rights

Fair use copyright lets you
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    Another PSA to new (and probably temporary) posters: don’t post thinking that your idea will be here for posterity. I think this is the 3rd version of the AoC forums I’ve posted on (I kind of lost track) and I wouldn’t be shocked if they wipe them and start them again someday.

(At least burning everything and starting again fits the whole “phoenix” symbolism.)

we still need our badges for the old forums
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options
    Nagash wrote: »

If images have been placed in the public domain by the creator or rights holder...then yes...if joe bob copies or screen shots or saves a copywrited image and puts it in a public domain then no as only someone with those rights can release those rights by putting it in the public domain. Most likely 99.999% of images in the public domain that are well known or famous were not put there by a person with the authority to release the rights making them not public domain depsite a copy of them being posted there.
  • Options
    Nagash wrote: »

If images have been placed in the public domain by the creator or rights holder...then yes...if joe bob copies or screen shots or saves a copywrited image and puts it in a public domain then no as only someone with those rights can release those rights by putting it in the public domain. Most likely 99.999% of images in the public domain that are well known or famous were not put there by a person with the authority to release the rights making them not public domain depsite a copy of them being posted there.
    There is no way that IS can police that. It’s purely a CYA move in case someone gets grumpy about seeing their images on this forum. I guarantee you it’ll never come up.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    One more PSA for new community members. When it comes to things like DPS meters or corruption mechanics, keep in mind that the veterans here have been debating and discussing these topics on here for 3 years or more. There are hundreds of pages of threads on these topics, so chances are your revolutionary idea or concern about them has been said and considered and debated multiple times in the past. If we dismiss your topics seemingly outright it's probably because we've heard it all before and has discussed it to death already.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    One more PSA for new community members. When it comes to things like DPS meters or corruption mechanics, keep in mind that the veterans here have been debating and discussing these topics on here for 3 years or more. There are hundreds of pages of threads on these topics, so chances are your revolutionary idea or concern about them has been said and considered and debated multiple times in the past. If we dismiss your topics seemingly outright it's probably because we've heard it all before and has discussed it to death already.

I want this pinned to the forums, please Mods
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options
    edited July 2020
    This thread is it's own poor horse