Are augments modular?

Since I and probably many others are curious about the augment system, I thought I'd ask my most burning question here. Are augments modular? The example I see everywhere is a fighter archetype with the second one being mage. The fighter changes their dash/strike into a teleport/strike. Now, if you slot that teleport into a different movement ability, like a leap away or roll, will it just do the same thing, or will it change slightly depending on the skill. I could see something like that being modular, but I think some other ones might not work so well. Like if an augment added healing to a skill would it only work on abilities that can already target allies, or will it change an enemy targeted ability to an allied one? It makes a lot of sense for them to be modular since you don't have to program a different result for every ability, but it seems like that could be limited. On the other hand, going over every ability and making it a specific interaction would take a LONG time with 64 classes.

I imagine it will either be modular or a mix between the two. If anyone has seen anything relating to this, I'd love to see. I couldn't find anything on the wiki about it. Cheers!

Comments

• Wandering MistWandering Mist Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Right now we have very little information on the augments and how exactly they will work.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • From what i understand every skill will get 4 different augment options, not that you have augment option and you allocate them to skills
  • XraelXrael Member
    edited July 2020
    Q: The augment system is a key component for character progression, though some examples have been given, many players are confused. Could you clarify the impact of the secondary archetype?
    A: Lets take the fighter as an example. If you were able to take the teleportation augment and apply it to the rush skill. Normally the skill would take X time to travel X distance, upon reaching deal X damage. So the initial rush skill might only require 10 skill points, so you can continue to invest skillpoints to increase damage done or travel speed. So if you apply teleport, instead of travelling, you teleport to the end point and do the damage. So this is not just flavour, but also changes the core of the skill. When you are charging you could be interrupted by CC, target could teleport away, you could be led into enemies if the target runs away. But if you apply the teleport, you have completely removed all those potential downsides during the charge since you instantly teleport to the target. That’s a significant vertical power increase on the skill. The ability to radically change the core components of the ability is what the augment system is.

This is what Steven said about augments in the recent AMA. They provide significant improvements to base abilities and these improvements can be diff. for diff. abilities. For more info on each class individually, we have to wait for the alphas to roll out.
  • phdmonster wrote: »
    From what i understand every skill will get 4 different augment options, not that you have augment option and you allocate them to skills

Oh, that's interesting. Seems like a lot of work for the devs! Makes sense from a balancing perspective though