Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

How to make the best combat the MMO community has ever seen

Hi Ashes team,
In my own bubble I've also come up with my dream game, surprisingly they are quite similar (nodes and caravans). I called my game the wildlands

Here's how I envisioned combat: increasing player power level from the average game

Break away from the 1.5s GCD meta and make abilities have longer animation (cast) times. If i'm a mage, let me have the option to cast a 30s mega aoe ability that lasts for 2m (and maybe have group strategy revolve around protecting large spells). Players should get boss like abilities that need to be dodged. Giving players dodge and block abilities with varying usefulness would allow players to choose aggression vs defense in the moment. If you're caught out by a dodge able ability without blocking, it would create a fair way to include one shot mechanics (which everyone loves giving but never receiving).

How to balance this in large scale pvp:
World power: the magic in the area that powers your spells and abilities
Have world power that increases when there are fewer players in an area. Increasing that world power would allow you to cast these heavy damage (graphically intensive) spells. If there are many players in an area everyone would have low world power and be restricted to graphically less intense spells.

In sieges you could have the leaders (captains in my mind) have access to more world power. Your gear and items could also increase your access to power

Abilities: (easy examples)
Bard: A bard could start channeling a song that requires the enemy to stop him, if he gets the song off to completion then he and his allies deal increased damage. (increase the damage of the party, heal everyone and give immunity bubbles, empower the bards blades, summon a tough minion ect..

Cleric: A cleric could channel a prayer or bless x amount of allies within touch range and perform some sort of ritual to give themselves divine power for a duration. (channeled through song, summon divine minions, protect allies, shroud allies and increase damage

Fighter: A fighter could drink a potion or have a chain kill ability or a victory rush mechanic where the prerequisites are difficult to get (generate x total rage in combat then go berserk).

Mage: A mage is the easiest, long channels with cool effects (dodge able meteors, slow moving beams, aoe frost effects, mist)

Ranger: After channeling (drawing arrows) give the ranger the ability to multishot one or many targets. (create misty areas, smoke bomb, disorient)

Rogue: Depending on how you balance rogues, they would be the top class in preventing casting of these abilities and controlling the game for your teammates.

Summoner: Another support class, creating waves of allies in an effort to slow the enemy down while you cast long cast time spells. Ability to summon more minions increases with World Power.

Tank: Maximum health taken by any one ability reduced to 20% of total health. Increase party defense, taunts that work on players and silence.

Increase the power of abilities and cast time of abilities so positioning, cool down usage and teamwork become more important than maximizing dps, hps and instantaneous

Mages might be best defending a seige, rogues and tanks best for attacking, summoners best for open world, rangers best for cc, fighters all around good, clerics essential. Give classes strong strengths but leave everyone with weaknesses. (mages no dodge/block, warriors weak against multiple targets ect.

Comments

• Options
    XraelXrael Member
    edited July 2020
    What your version of BEST is, may not be the BEST for others.

Trust the devs to find out what the BEST is for the majority of people. They will make sure that the combat is fun before they launch the game.
  • Options
    BorusBorus Member
    Sometimes the path to the top of the mountain can only be seen from the bottom.
  • Options
    Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I'll be honest I stopped reading half-way through the first paragraph. Do you really want to stand still channelling a spell for 30 secs, not moving at all? I don't care how amazingly powerful that spell is, not being able to do anything with your character for that length of time is very very boring.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    BorusBorus Member
    30s of buildup to see a devastating effect and make a massive difference? seems like a fun buildup to me. Maybe 15s is the best amount, the whole idea is that you put yourself in a risky position by channeling for a great reward. If you don't like it then don't build your character that way.
  • Options
    arsnnarsnn Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    edited July 2020
    Game developers hate him.
    With this simple trick this guy revolutionzed combat in MMORPGS.
    Click this link to see how he did it.
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    arsnn wrote: »
    Game developers hate him.
    With this simple trick this guy revolutionzed combat in MMORPGS.
    Click this link to see how he did it.

you almost made me spit my drink out. well played
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    There was Spell Weaving in Age of Conan: Stationary build up which built a statue around you. Spell Weaving was abused in PvP until cooldowns were added. It can be useful in PvE Stationary fights but I hope in Ashes PvE won't be stationary fights.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    BorusBorus Member
    make the spells use reagents that are rare and farm able materials, make them expensive
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2020
    Borus wrote: »
    Sometimes the path to the top of the mountain can only be seen from the bottom.
    If you’re trying to sneak in Sir Mix-a-Lot references to this discussion I have to give you props for that at least.
    Borus wrote: »
    30s of buildup to see a devastating effect and make a massive difference? seems like a fun buildup to me. Maybe 15s is the best amount, the whole idea is that you put yourself in a risky position by channeling for a great reward. If you don't like it then don't build your character that way.
    Play a Berserker in TERA Online online and you’ll see how shitty this is. It is the most boring gameplay in an MMO, to just sit there charging up before attacking. And that’s not even close to 15s, let alone 30s. Even a few seconds stinks. This is just a flat-out terrible idea. It is not fun to anyone.

Hhak63P.png