Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Free to play players and marketing

Give people the ability to play the game no matter their circumstances. (use it as an advert like fortnite)

Balance this by limiting their impact and only allow them to play npc type characters. (soldiers in seiges, helping hands in the game, low cost/skill mercenaries)

This way you would have two classes of character, one with very limited ability and game knowledge that could cheaply protect your caravan and the other which would be more expensive.

you would always have a pool of players to draw from in filling any content

Heavily limit character progression through World Power and gear caps (see my other post)

Comments

• Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Borus wrote: »
    Give people the ability to play the game no matter their circumstances. (use it as an advert like fortnite)

Balance this by limiting their impact and only allow them to play npc type characters. (soldiers in seiges, helping hands in the game, low cost/skill mercenaries)

This way you would have two classes of character, one with very limited ability and game knowledge that could cheaply protect your caravan and the other which would be more expensive.

Heavily limit character progression through World Power and gear caps (see my other post)

No. not only no but hell no. Ashes is not Fing fortnite
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options

Stop.
  • Options
    NeliryaNelirya Member, Founder, Kickstarter

Just what? No...
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    You have no Idea how stupid this is. with no box cost how on earth would they pay for the game?
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    StyleStyle Member
    yeah, I don't like this either. the main reason why it is subscription-based, as I understand it, is to strongly counteract botting. With a strong bann and detection rate, this can be very deterrent to any botting company in terms of usefulness to bot. so giving a free to play option counteracts that. not to mention having bots take over every single NPC in a siege and just afking to help a certain group? Nah too much of a hassle with no benefit what so ever.
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    #^€£ no. :grimace:

This will kill the game. Are you just a gold seller infiltrating the forums?

It doesn’t work in WoW so that’s an awful, awful example. It’s like saying, “My uncle Jimmy never wore a helmet when motorcycle riding so I don’t have to, and it was just bad luck that he skid out and died from head trauma.”

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    Undead CanuckUndead Canuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    How hard is it to understand a subscription? It is $15 a month. My internet costs a lot more than that each month. If someone can pay for internet, they can pay for a sub.
  • Options
    Let's be honest here.

The most popular mmorpgs right now, run on sub based models which try to limit the p2w advantage (some more than others).

Do you want a p2w economy or an overly intrusive cash shop? Then you make it free.
    fZr1HEl.png
    Felautumn - OCE hee hee
    "He who has a why to live can bear almost any how"
    Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    AardvarkAardvark Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    yeah, I don't like this either. the main reason why it is subscription-based, as I understand it, is to strongly counteract botting. With a strong bann and detection rate, this can be very deterrent to any botting company in terms of usefulness to bot. so giving a free to play option counteracts that. not to mention having bots take over every single NPC in a siege and just afking to help a certain group? Nah too much of a hassle with no benefit what so ever.

If you can make say 200 a day as a seller and keep getting banned on day 2 why would you care you could keep getting account and sub one after another and still make money. Banning sellers barely even slows them down...now if you banned their customers and killed off all the demand...that could work but MMOs hate banning long term paying customers.
  • Options
    XraelXrael Member

STOP. POSTING. This is your 6th post that pushes your opinion, within a SINGLE day of joining the forums. You have no idea about the community opinion on these topics and you're not even asking. You're just posting over and over again.

And HELL NO. The sub fee is low enough as it is. If you can't pay for it, then don't play it.
  • Options
    edited July 2020

STOP. POSTING. This is your 6th post that pushes your opinion, within a SINGLE day of joining the forums. You have no idea about the community opinion on these topics and you're not even asking. You're just posting over and over again.

And HELL NO. The sub fee is low enough as it is. If you can't pay for it, then don't play it.

Well wow did offer a discount for subbing 6-12 months at a time. I think it was like 14.99 a month or 12.99x6 or 9.99x12 I don't have an issue with a bulk buy rate
  • Options
    Aardvark wrote: »

Well wow did offer a discount for subbing 6-12 months at a time. I think it was like 14.99 a month or 12.99x6 or 9.99x12 I don't have an issue with a bulk buy rate

Thats still a sub fee
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options
    XraelXrael Member
    edited July 2020

Yea but he is talking about allowing players that don't pay AT ALL to play the game. Not about discounts.
  • Options
    edited July 2020

Yea but he is talking about allowing players that don't pay AT ALL to play the game. Not about discounts.

Well he can get over it as "free" games are some of the most expensive games you will ever play as they come with a handy dandy p2w store
  • Options
    GenaroGenaro Member
    While I agree that you can pull a large audience to your game providing some kind of free to play system, you devalue your product at the same time, seeing that the monetization around Ashes will be a subscription model. You can have people to join in your game, test it, and get out, without paying anything.

For a new game release, mainly for Ashes 'cuz hype, it can loose a pretty good amount of profit, in which part of same profit would be use to improve the game and bring new content (and the other part to fill the mugs of devs with coffee). Of course it will happen, at some point in the future, a free trial/system for the game, as most of the MMORPGs provide, but that's only when the game starts to cooldown from the hype. And if Ashes manages to deliver most of the features and system that are planned, boy, it will take a long time before it happens.
  • Options
    LfmrLfmr Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    One of the biggest advantages with a subscription based monetization model is it sets a bar that real world traders / gold sellers need to get over. It also stops other players from doing things that they shouldn't, since they won't want to lose their account and investments (Both time and money) over some dumb choices. Free to play models may make more money, but Ashes of Creation is already using a F2P model cosmetic shop on top of their subscription anyways.

The Reason why games like Fortnite can get away with having expensive skins / cosmetics is BECAUSE THE GAME IS FREE, I really hope that Intrepid decides to have a reasonably priced cosmetic shop for their subscription based game.
  • Options
    TalentsTalents Member, Intrepid Pack
    tbt.gif
    nI17Ea4.png
  • Options
    GoaBGoaB Member

Wow, what a horrible idea.