Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Tanks, what we would like to see

Hello fellow tanks,

Since my start in mmos back in 03 I have typically rolled a tank spec. I find that being the guide and protector of the group exhilarating, we are the pace of the group, we are the shield that protects, we are the quite role doing their work but watching the group, and we are sometimes the forgotten role.

Scarcity in tanks across the mmo landscape comes from a few aspects in my pov, the pressure of keeping aggro and good pulls and grouping, knowing all fights like the back of your hand, and the sometimes boring rotation.
As tanks we typically deal minimal damage and have more aggro specific moves like taunts and sunders, for most tank clases we very low interactivity if you hold aggro with ease and know the system. So what i am suggesting is give the tanks more attacks and damage modifiers on these attacks. The best times for me as a tank are the big mob pulls, dropping aoe moves, throwing a bouncing shield, or when someone back pedals into another mob group and you hsve to cross the battlefield to grab that pack because most people don't leash aggrod mobs to our spot. So let me hit hard, instead of judt a aoe taunt give me a big aoe attack with modifiers. It dosent need to be big dps attacks but we should be able to hsve movesets that allow us to feel more than just a meat shield and can add to the overall damage output.

That's my 2 cents, I would love for other tanks to add in theirs so ashes can build fun tank builds for us.

Be safe out there.

Comments

• Options
    XraelXrael Member
    This is exactly why you have secondary archetypes. Also yes, every archetype will be able to deal damage to some extent.
  • Options
    AardvarkAardvark Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I would like to see tanks that have to work hard to keep aggro and DPS that have to be careful not pull aggro. Not 1 button tanking with careless free for all no worry dps
  • Options
    NiraadaNiraada Member
    edited July 2020
    I'd also like to see more active mitigation abilities that aren't necessarily large cooldowns, allowing really excellent tanks to help with resource management. Targeted substitution skills would also be great to see, allowing tanks to intercept hits meant for their much squishier friends, to really demonstrate their presence on the battlefield, rather than just being the meathead standing in front of the dragon for the next 10 minutes.

Mechanics and skills that really involve the tanks in combat outside of maintaining the focus of the boss would go a long way towards making things feel more interesting and dynamic, and could open up opportunities for them to shine, outside of managing tank swaps cleanly or picking up adds efficiently.
  • Options
    HossyHossy Member
    This is exactly why you have secondary archetypes. Also yes, every archetype will be able to deal damage to some extent.

From what I have gathered the secondary archetype is more of a flavor than a skillet change. Watching the last big gameplay vid a few times i noticed the tank was able to keep threat with ease, used only a handful of moves, seemed to be more akin to tanking in eso ( which i find to be a snoozefest.)

I'm just hoping soon we get more information on tank builds.
  • Options
    I would personally like to see enough flexibility within the Fighter class to be a more offensive styled tank. I am fine if Tank is the only tank, but in my ideal world, that class should be reserved for like the nasty encounters. While dealing with more mechanic intensive fights, you can use your Off Tank Fighter guildies that maybe have more utilities they can bring than a Tank primary.

I like how Bard can be an effective healer with less raw throughput and more utility, and would like to see the same option available for people that want to tank.
  • Options
    Hello fellow tank, Guardian from GW2 and Templar from Aion here!

Here take a look on skills https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Tank, there is still a lot of info we dont know about yet so this is all more likely theorycrafting but in these skills we have pretty much everything we need, Shield reflect buff, AoE CC, bodyguard skill, CC selfbreak, single target pull + CC, AoE target pull + CC and huge dmg, and single target dmg skills + CC. I dont see big taunts like in Aion here tho. We just have to wait for secondary classes which augments the primary class skills.

I would personally have more selfbuffs like % HP up for a certain time and also more group buffs.

In secondary classes i would like to have basically two major ways. 1) Defensive Tank style, more oriented for group sustain and CC 2) Single target DPS style, dmg buffs, exchange less deff for more att, etc.
  • Options
    Just jumping in to say that I'm always so very thankful to have dedicated tanks in the game. I can't tank for life and some of y'all make it look piece of cake, so props to you guys!
    "Magic is not a tool, little one. It is a river that unites us in its current."

I heard a bird ♫