Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

How Corruption will work IRL

sunfrogsunfrog Member, Founder, Kickstarter
Did you see this coming? If corruption works this is what will happen.

https://youtu.be/tVEZ-Ufqrq8
fNX2ISa.png

Comments

• bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Maybe but maybe not.
    Gankers gonna gank. There will always be those that will risk it just for the lol's of stomping a noobie.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Gonna have to disagree with you on that opinion. I played Lineage 2 for years which had a very similar system to Corruption, called Karma. People at high levels will absolutely go corrupted against rivals/enemy guilds/personal disputes/etc.

I saw players from every level range going red, and often the newer players would Flag themselves and just fight to the death in a consenting fashion. It was pretty rare that I saw other low levels going red, and pretty common in the later levels to see other higher level players going red.

Now we do live in a different time than Lineage 2, and there will be a Bounty Hunter system in AoC, so things might play out a little bit different, positively or negatively in comparison. But I promise you plenty of the Corrupted players will be of a higher level. Even though that is simply my opinion, I am confident enough to make it a promise.
  • sunfrogsunfrog Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    There is a way for higher level players to go corrupt. If you want to use disposable equipment that you don't mind losing you can do that to test yourself. Just make sure not to equip your best stuff. Or if you have two of each item, like, two Staffs of Fury, you can afford to lose one.

But why would you? Unless you figured out a way around the system. What you gain is small compared to what you lose.
    fNX2ISa.png

• UlfUlf Member
    As @Kilroko said. The system is very similar to Lineage 2. and I'm okay with that. It was a good system that allowed you to have some freedom regarding the general PVP. It's fun to be able to kick a group from their farming spot, just to be ganked by them again, and to fight for that spot for a while, until 1 group got bored and looked for another spot.

Same thing while solo grinding. If another dude is being annoying and i want to *slap with a white glove* that dude.. i can do it he can reply and we can have a nice pvp. or.. he can continue to be annoying and get PKed... and trust me... grinding while being red is one hell of an adrenaline rush. Risk /Reward thing.
    FOeRqtf.jpg
  • sunfrog wrote: »
    There is a way for higher level players to go corrupt. If you want to use disposable equipment that you don't mind losing you can do that to test yourself. Just make sure not to equip your best stuff. Or if you have two of each item, like, two Staffs of Fury, you can afford to lose one.

But why would you? Unless you figured out a way around the system. What you gain is small compared to what you lose.

You seem to be of the notion that going Corrupted requires a tangible reward. Player PK'ing isn't about chasing a progression path or reward, necessarily. Giving players the agency to attack and kill anyone at any time, enables a different type of social dynamic within the world.

The vast majority of people won't be looking to go red and be building their character around the meta of being a griefer. It is there so you can engage rivals/enemies, fight for prime grinding real estate etc. The incentive that you are curious about is power, authority, fame, notoriety, and most importantly, victory.