Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

mokl

PlateauPlateau Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
edited June 2023 in General Discussion
Mega troll frmr1cq9w89im2.jpg

Comments

• Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    So...You can have 'Friends' in Ashes, 'Friends' can share Freeholds. Why not just make some friends instead of everyone trying to solo multiplayer games?
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Agreed this could cause problems down the line
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    AardvarkAardvark Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited July 2020
    Its too big of a pain to try to tell the difference between 1 person with 2 accounts and 2 family members who both play. They are not going to block families they have already said so.
  • Options
    BardticBardtic Member, Alpha One
    It is definitely P2W to have multiple accounts and freeholds. Although, I dont really see a way to stop this. It is also a minor P2W feature. The time it takes to level up a character and build and maintain a freehold will make it a combination of Play to Win and Pay to Win.

With every character not being able to do everything I don't see it being very easy to get more than one, maybe two characters to the point as master crafters that two freeholds would be necessary. If you do want to spend the time doing that, rather than exploring everything else the game has to offer. More power to you.
    XWeKqaZ.png
  • Options
    Undead CanuckUndead Canuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    So my family has multiple accounts. That is P2W? We will all probably have permissions to each other's Freehold (not sure about 1 of them though, she is ornery...).

Please tell me how that is P2W? Yay. We can sit on a different sofa today (I think they said we can sit).
  • Options
    Would be a real pain to pull off though, no guarantee at all that you can build freeholds together in the same node with multiple accounts. Might have to run even more caravans just to harness the multiple accounts. There is risk/reward in the game but I wouldn't want to invest so much time and energy into multiple accounts.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    @Undead Canuck He isn't talking about multiple accounts owned by multiple people. He means one person owning multiple accounts.
    XWeKqaZ.png
  • Options
    Okay, how about 1 have 2 accounts. One of them is just in case a friend is over and wants to play. I still have 2 accounts. Now it is P2W?
  • Options
    I think youre kind of missing the point. If freeholds have some form economic production. Someone could potentially run many accounts and make passive money off having anywhere from 2-100 freeholds. The point is how to prevent this while letting people have multiple accounts in the same house for other reasons.
    XWeKqaZ.png
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2020
    This is P2W if you decide to make up your own definition of P2W that differs from what the rest of the world uses.

P2W is when the game offers a direct path to gaining a mechanical advantage through payment of real life cash. There is literally no way for Intrepid to prevent a person from buying multiple accounts and use them for one person, because it is impossible to tell who is playing an account on the other end.

You might as well say that spending thousands of dollars for a faster internet connection, fancier keyboard and mouse, sharper monitor, and powerful machine with a high frame rate is P2W. Yes, you will absolutely get an advantage in the game using that equipment rather than a 3 year old laptop over a slow DSL that barely runs the game. And it costs money. But that doesn’t make the game P2W because, again, Intrepid has no control over this, and can’t.

Any accusations that this is P2W more trolling. Some people like making fun of any developer who tries to avoid P2W because they think it’s impossible.

And @Tsukasa is again just bitter that the game isn’t BDO and will take any excuse to snipe at the game and Steven. You are a one trick pony and it’s tedious.

EDIT: I don’t include @Leonerdo in this; you are asking a legit question and nothing against you. You are explicitly not making accusations. No disrespect to you.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    How much time is there in a day? Economic Production requires time to gather resources, time to process resources, time to craft items. It would take a mammoth person to be able to maintain productivity for 2 separate accounts, let alone 100 accounts. Unless one person pays for someone else's account (In other game makers eyes the original subscriber owns everything related to the accounts) then one person will not be able to run 100 Accounts. You can't multibox in this manner without third party software.

If someone wants to waste a ton of money, time and effort to attempt to do it solo, I have no pity.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Tsukasa wrote: »
    @Atama
    Archeage did "3 alts max on different computers" and it turned into chaos. I'm speaking from experience. You have no idea...
    That is impossible to do and stupid to try to do. Good thing AoC doesn’t do that.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    AardvarkAardvark Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Atama wrote: »
    @Atama
    Archeage did "3 alts max on different computers" and it turned into chaos. I'm speaking from experience. You have no idea...
    That is impossible to do and stupid to try to do. Good thing AoC doesn’t do that.

Here's Steven's today's message. He's thinking about it.

ae95ee8664e9d18f220f8c3a1d708397.png

Alts ruined AAU for me and many other people. Multi-accounting is totally unacceptable! Alts are cursed.

Well if they try to enforce it about the only way is to limit it to 1 account per IP and screw over every family out there. Plus even then you can just have 2 ISP lines giving you 2 different IPs. So even that would not stop it just make it more expensive.
  • Options
    @Tsukasa I really think you missed the point again. He is saying you cannot run multiple applications of the game on a single computer at the same time. You can switch between as many accounts as you want. Says nothing about how many alts each account can have.
    XWeKqaZ.png
  • Options
    Atama wrote: »
    @Atama

Here's Steven's today's message. He's thinking about it.

ae95ee8664e9d18f220f8c3a1d708397.png
    That’s because people keep asking about it. (Hence threads like this.) Steven already gave his own thoughts in your screenshot; he doesn’t care if multiple people in the same house play. But people keep bringing it up in the forums or asking him about it directly so they are going to ask our input because they don’t want to ignore our input.

I hope there’s not some ridiculous surge of people insisting this. It’s ridiculous.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    darthadendarthaden Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    First off I've never multi boxed and never will. One account is enough for me. With that said while not impossible I think it would be pretty difficult to obtain multiple freehold if my understanding of the freehold system is correct. Having to split your loot between multiple accounts would make it difficult to come up with enough funds to buy a freehold on each one before they're all sold out
  • Options
    I have multi boxed. I have 2 computers, and used 2 keyboards and 2 mice. It was a pain in the ass fingers, and I really sucked at it. I could do it, but didn't see where it helped any. I was just slower with both characters.
    If it was a PVP situation, I am pretty sure both would have died. Not to mention how much it costs each month.
  • Options
    I mean, you can’t defend your free holds if you have 4 of them. Eventually you will lose them in a siege, and someone else can put one down. This isn’t UO where the houses are permanent as long as you pay; they can be attacked after a siege.
  • Options
    Ok guys realistically how many people are capable of doing something like this and actually do it? Is this a case of trying to limit the capability of what? 1% of the playerbase? So not only do you need multiple machines or know how to run multiple operating systems on one machine you also need multiple accounts and the funds to pay for every account. Ok I could do this if I wanted to. My partner would stab me in the eye but I could I think with some preparation run 5 extra accounts from my main account if I wanted to. How the hell am I supposed to control more than 1 at a time with any efficiency? I would have to buy or write my own scripts or bots. Ok so I am doing that so whats the chance a GM notices and I lose an account? What if I lose the majority or all the accounts? Even if I dont lose anything and it all goes perfectly in that regard what am I gaining by such a ludicrous setup? This strikes me as one of those phantom fears people have. How many per 1000 players would actually be capable of doing something like this? How many of them would realistically do it?
  • Options
    2 at one time was very painful to run. Without using scripts, I cannot see anyone running more than 2 well. At least you have 2 hands so can technically run 2 with practice.
  • Options
    PlateauPlateau Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited April 2023
    Mega troll frmr1cq9w89im2.jpg
  • Options
    For me, I will probably be setting up my Freehold to have some crafting on it. And I would open it up to my guild. Therefore, everyone in my guild would have access to 2 Freeholds. How is that P2W?
  • Options
    phdmonsterphdmonster Member
    edited July 2020
    Trying to stop multiboxing is an impossible task - you either let people with multiple machines have multiple accounts or you allow 1 account per IP which is bad for the business and is bad for the game itself. There are a lot of people who have multiple computers at their home and like to play games together.

There is literally no way to tell apart 1 person controling 3 accounts from 3 separate machines from 3 people each playing on their account all from the same house. Multiboxing effectively is actually not easy and more often than not is not really worth the hassle.

Scripting/botting is a completely different issue where you run a 3rd party software that controls your characters and does repetitive tasks with some set goal.

It always makes me giggle when i see a thread like this: "Well, this is bad. But I am just going to say it's bad and leave and not provide even an inkling of a solution"

Good on you mate

EDIT: Not directed at the OP, but some people in the comments.
  • Options
    Leonerdo wrote: »
    It sounds like a lot of people agree that it would be way too much work to build/maintain 2+ freeholds. But I think that is mostly an up-front one-time cost. Am I right about that?

Furthermore, I think we have yet to see how much value you can really get out of a freehold. Specifically, we don't know how much of the processing on a freehold is done passively. Theoretically there could be a lot of production done via set-and-forget, time-gate processes. If that is the case, then having multiple freeholds would allow for more production without taking much more work (in the long-term).

Do y'all think that's a possibility? And if it is, do you think it's acceptable because of the huge up-front investment required?

in this example I would vote no. Something like that should not be allowed. The game will be balanced with people working on 1 freehold per account. If it is determined you are gaming the limit the system put in place to prevent you should be penalized. A single human could for example produce 1000 iron ingots in twelve hour periods. Systems will be created by both the players via how much one will pay for iron ingots and the devs by how much can be gathered in a time period. If to many people start to be able to double or triple that output it trickles into all other systems. Things get balanced around un intended values and it all gets out of hand. If that is the case I say drop the ban hammer on people who do it.
  • Options
    TalentsTalents Member, Intrepid Pack
    I mean even if it is there isn't any way to stop people having multiple accounts really.
    nI17Ea4.png