Unlocking Key Class Abilities Through Quests

IenzuIenzu Member
edited July 2020 in General Discussion
Hello everyone,
I'm wondering if there will be quests to unlock some key abilities for classes. for example the ranger having a quest to tame their first pet, the warlock making a ritual to learn to summon demons, necromancer learning how to resurrect dead creatures, the cleric learning resurrect or a major healing spell etc..

it would be fun to learn abilities through quests instead of just *POOF* here is an ability.

Comments

• I dont mind questing for the abilities, but what i would really love to see is the skillbook system that lineage 2 had, especially the classic version. Boy oh boy that was a good system, both healthy to the economy, and the eco-system of the farming spots.
    Some classes were exponentially stronger with a specific skill that was only obtainable through a spell book, a prophet without Haste and Death whisper is not even a class in a physical damage oriented group. That made some of the books really rare, expensive and prestigious, which also led to a lot of people going to obscure farming spots with a dream to get one to sell it and get your self a bunch of gold...

Man... I love spell books... Even in early stages of Aion when spellbooks were still in use, it was so satisfying to level up your skill with a relevant level spellbook, to see it make a difference.
  • I'm also a fan of learning abilities through class specific quests, especially those tailored to give you the ability somewhere part way through the quest chain and using the spell itself is what helps the player complete the quest while learning how to use it.
    ezgif-3-b7b5eae89b.gif
  • ShoelidShoelid Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    There are lots of light novels/manga/anime with RPG themes, and they almost always include the idea of abilities/skills coming as a result of a player's actions and choices. I always found it really intruiguing, even if a wholly satisfying realization of it is ultimately a fantasy. Even though WoW started with some of those quests, they ultimately did away with them.

While WoW's class quests did a fantastic job at making me invested in my character (and created some of my favorite memories with the game), they could also be incredibly boring. Not only that, once the sense of discovery and adventure were gone, they weren't interesting. They simply became a chore for specific classes. There's definitely a point where people start dreading them as a requirement, rather than looking forward to them as the next step in their story.

Maybe Ashes of Creation is in a unique spot with its intense focus on player choice to really deliver on the fantasy of "I can do this not because I'm XYZ class, but because of the choices that I made".
  • Ienzu wrote: »
    Hello everyone,
    I'm wondering if there will be quests to unlock some key abilities for classes. for example the ranger having a quest to tame their first pet, the warlock making a ritual to learn to summon demons, necromancer learning how to resurrect dead creatures, the cleric learning resurrect or a major healing spell etc..

it would be fun to learn abilities through quests instead of just *POOF* here is an ability.

By the time you get to necromancer you already have access to the class abilities.

Some quests being locked behind class specific quests could be nice though.