Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Dev Team Consistency

Transparency and open communication channels are all good, but I just hope the AoC team sticks to their guns. I've now seen lots of discussions with wild suggestions like "abolish the family teleport system and add teleportation devices in towns" and such, which would lead to feature creep we really don't need, or "don't add /follow, to stop multi-boxing", which would only hurt young parents who will just not group, because they don't want to make their team wait every time their kid cries. No quick "let me go on follow for a min, my kid needs me".

Players in general are good at pointing at things they don't like, but rarely even decent at saying why, and almost never when trying to come up with their own ideas for solutions. Let the devs make the game they envision.

Comments

• Options
    AardvarkAardvark Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Andi wrote: »
    Transparency and open communication channels are all good, but I just hope the AoC team sticks to their guns. I've now seen lots of discussions with wild suggestions like "abolish the family teleport system and add teleportation devices in towns" and such, which would lead to feature creep we really don't need, or "don't add /follow, to stop multi-boxing", which would only hurt young parents who will just not group, because they don't want to make their team wait every time their kid cries. No quick "let me go on follow for a min, my kid needs me".

Players in general are good at pointing at things they don't like, but rarely even decent at saying why, and almost never when trying to come up with their own ideas for solutions. Let the devs make the game they envision.

Getting rid of a feature isn't feature creep. Feature creep is adding an extra one. Fixing broken system is not feature creep it is troubleshooting and fixing.
  • Options
    Potato BasketPotato Basket Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Imagine the game never release because players keep dictate changes

That's some 4d star citizen chess pulled by Steven
  • Options
    AndiAndi Member
    Adding a convoluted system of town structures to replace a simple teleport on a cooldown is adding features, leading to creep. Need a system, assets and design rules for the facilities, whereas nothing is needed to make an existing system work. @Aardvark
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    ninfosho wrote: »

Unlike Chris Roberts who needed a project he could retire off and screwed over everyone to do it...Stephen is already retired and doesn't need a money grab to retire.
  • Options
    Aardvark wrote: »

Unlike Chris Roberts who needed a project he could retire off and screwed over everyone to do it...Stephen is already retired and doesn't need a money grab to retire.

Or that's what he wants you to believe.. Tan tan taaaannn
  • Options
    edited July 2020

AoC is already further along than star citizen and star citizen was origionally supposed to have full release 6 years ago
  • Options
    edited July 2020

AoC is already further along than star citizen and star citizen was origionally supposed to have full release 6 years ago

Hey I'm obviously joking but you can't blame one for thinking that

We were promised the moon before and yet here we are
  • Options
    AndiAndi Member
    This thread is not about comparing Ashes to Star Citizen or any other game. It's about the dev team's vision of the game and why they should be allowed to make the game they want to make.

They can adapt things they don't like while testing them, and even after release.
  • Options
    They have been pretty consistent with what they said and do.
    They might change little things or big things according to player feedback, but they're not adding new things.
  • Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    That there would be a "family system" is not new. The benefits of that system is the new information.
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Options
    darthadendarthaden Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    there will 100% need to be tweaks to the Family teleport system because people will find ways to exploit it. Two tweaks I see coming are
    1. removal of any buffs when summoned. This way people can't collect all their housing buffs and then teleport across the world for a node war
    2. Requiring your bags to be empty when being summoned. This will keep people from grinding/ gathering mats in one node and then being summoned to another to unload the goods on the AH/market for some quick and easy gold.
  • Options
    darthaden wrote: »
    there will 100% need to be tweaks to the Family teleport system because people will find ways to exploit it. Two tweaks I see coming are
    1. removal of any buffs when summoned. This way people can't collect all their housing buffs and then teleport across the world for a node war
    2. Requiring your bags to be empty when being summoned. This will keep people from grinding/ gathering mats in one node and then being summoned to another to unload the goods on the AH/market for some quick and easy gold.

Those are actually not bad ideas. I am pleasantly surprised!
  • Options
    darthadendarthaden Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2020
    phdmonster wrote: »

Black Desert had a guild summons and people used it all the time to shortcut the trade crate system which works much like Ashes planned system of having items sell for higher profits further away
  • Options
    phdmonster wrote: »

I just know how I would exploit it if they allow it at launch :)

Oh, don't worry. If they can be exploited they won't include them or will find a fix.
  • Options
    hapyhapy Member

I really like this ideas. :+1:
  • Options
    XraelXrael Member

Excellent suggestions. It will serve to further limit multiboxing alongside this:

https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/45037/multiboxing-its-solutions-and-why-it-wont-be-as-much-of-an-issue-in-aoc#latest
  • Options
    edited July 2020

I don't even leave a city to go farm mats or quest with completly empty bags. And with gear drops and breaks possible when you die you always will want a 2nd set of gear on you. Making your bag be completly empty is the same as removing the ability as most players do not want to go far from their home with completly empty bags. If you are going to 100% break a feature don't waste their time making them add a feature that won't get used do to it being broken.
  • Options
    AmistAmist Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One

I don't even leave a city to go farm mats or quest with completly empty bags. And with gear drops and breaks possible when you die you always will want a 2nd set of gear on you. Making your bag be completly empty is the same as removing the ability as most players do not want to go far from their home with completly empty bags. If you are going to 100% break a feature don't waste their time making them add a feature that won't get used do to it being broken.

You will only have a chance to drop gear upon death if you are corrupted.
  • Options
    Amist wrote: »

You will only have a chance to drop gear upon death if you are corrupted.

You don't need to be corrupted to have it break
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Well I guess they can limit the amount of inventory / weight you can fast travel with or let's say make you pay a resource to fast travel so it won't be beneficial to exploit
  • Options
    AndiAndi Member
    See, yet another feature that would cause lots of work only to open up yet another can of worms in consequence.

Let the guys work in peace FFS, and see what the end product looks like, and play that, and then give feedback, when they also have metrics to see if an issue is really an issue, or just an inflated thing on the forums.
  • Options
    Andi wrote: »
    See, yet another feature that would cause lots of work only to open up yet another can of worms in consequence.

Let the guys work in peace FFS, and see what the end product looks like, and play that, and then give feedback, when they also have metrics to see if an issue is really an issue, or just an inflated thing on the forums.

It's a fine line to walk, between making the game that they want to make and making a game that people will enjoy. Everyone has a different idea for what the "perfect" MMO would look like. There have been a lot of good suggestions made, on the forums, in AMA threads, on the discord, etc. The real trouble is separating these good suggestions from things that would just hold the game back. Obviously the devs get the final say since its their product, but a lot of people have invested good chunks of money into this project. Is it any wonder they're so passionate about giving feedback?
  • Options
    AndiAndi Member
    Devs bending backwards to their backers' every whim is what destroyed SotA. I've seen the "remove follow" "idea" quite a few times, but people don't think any further.
  • Options
    nibiru97nibiru97 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited July 2020

I like these ideas. I think they should add in a maximum distance people can be summoned as well. If no rules are put in place guilds will be able to summon their entire guild across the map if they set up their family structure correctly. Each family could have a couple alts set up across the world as well, to bring people back and forth across the entire map.
  • Options
    edited July 2020

It started development 6 years ago >.> Star citizen and squadron 42 are different games per say. You also need to consider aoc is using unreal. SC has had to create entire new engines because nothing can do what they want it to do in full. Has development been supe long? Yes, but people heavly ignore the years required to design an entirely new engines. Cryenging and lumberyard are not the engines im talking about either.