Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Rumor system

So i was thinking about it and i wasent sure if i would build a outside app for it for my own benefic or if the game would benefit as whole from it....

So the idea is: The rumors system.
Say your a Inn keeper, selling your beer and other stuff that you cook. The Rumor system would buy rumor from player and player would buy rumor for their own benefit.
So lets say that bob is new to town and he want to sell a rumor to the innkeeper. He goes, fill a parchament. The parchament lock his name in the system ( its hidden to everyone).
Karen is new to town and want some action. She goes to the innkeeper to see if there is some tips available. There is one. Karen buy the rumor for X ammount of gold. If she judge that its a good tips, she has the option to take out the shelf, by paying extra gold for it ( it can be definitive or for like a hour or so).
So karen follow the lead from the rumor she just bought. She come back before the rumor time limit run out and give feedback. Karen is now rumor lvl 1. She can now access all lvl 1 and have a glance to lvl 2 rumor (maybe she can pay X ammount of gold to see if there is anything available or not).
In the mean time, Bob, who sold the rumor to karen via the inkeeper rumor system, come back sometimes later and see if is rumor pay out. If it did, he receive a share of what karen paid and if its not, he receive a smaller fee. If his rumor was good, he could get a lvl from it and if not, half... or nothing... Havent think that far.

Rumor could have categorie like if trader are preparing a trade route, if x person is always farming the same zone (maybe he is up to something), if someone plan to sail to a specific spot so you could ambush him ect. Could be use as a backstabing system. I mean, information is money if you can sell it for the right price....

So, what you guys think ? Worth it or not ?
Bwoarf

P.s. i dont know if i posted it in the right section. Feel free to move the topic if needed.

Comments

• Options
    I like the concept but I feel like its a middle man that doesn't need to be there. You gave a couple of examples but let me give one that I think makes the best argument. X trade company is taking a caravan to X City with X loot. This is very valuable in terms of info however it only appeals to a small minority. If you are a solo or a small group info like that even though it is valuable isn't worth anything to you. You as a seller of info would profit more by going directly to the known/unknown guilds that partake in those things.

I like the idea of having levels for info broking. A feature that is apart of player trading such as in the top left of the trade window is a tab that allows someone that has the info broker profession to give someone 5 STARS for the info while also giving money is a much smoother idea. This of course has issues such as having your friends give you 5 STARS over and over but I think there are ways around that.

This system will help people distinguish between trustworthy and untrustworthy info brokers by what level they have. It is a good system overall, but I think it needs to be tweaked for the modern times since the internet screws up what info is valuable in games.
  • Options
    BwoarfBwoarf Member
    Well the middleman would be the innkeeper. They way the dev talk about the inn is a place when a cook will sell is ware and were gambling is gonna take place. At the start, owning a inn would likely be a gold making machine. Im sure there is gonna be more inn then anything else in a town. The inn quality is likely gonna vary with the location they gonna be at.
    So the rumor system make every inn a good place to go look for Q for you next adventure. It will provide a small fee to the inn so if you dont have the best spot in town, you get a minimum ammount of money...maybe enough to pay tax or something.
    The rumor system could potentially be a good gold sink. You never have enough of those. Also, the dev could place a random ammount of Q for like where the last bandit has been spotted or witch area is most likely gonna receive a megabeast attack or something. Idk, i think its full of opportunity.
  • Options
    Essentially this is in the game, just not as in-game systems. afaik scribes are able to make maps and sell them to other players, as players wont have their map filled out for places they havent been or havent visited in a long time. The information that scribes could sell could potentially be wrong on purpose or on accident. Among many "word-of-mouth" rumors. A majority of game interactions and politics will be separate from in-game systems
  • Options
    Bwoarf wrote: »
    The rumor system could potentially be a good gold sink. You never have enough of those. Also, the dev could place a random ammount of Q for like where the last bandit has been spotted or witch area is most likely gonna receive a megabeast attack or something. Idk, i think its full of opportunity.

This would be good but it would only be a npc and not a player driven system since it is too unreliable otherwise. You will be flipping a coin if it were a player that has good/bad intentions. Keeping these as 2 different systems would be better. (Money sinks are important)

If you go to players, possibly posted up at inns, and ask personally for specific/broad idea they can filter pointless info and the best info for the right price. Then with the level system you can tell if they are trustworthy or not from the very beginning.

All in all, having innkeepers telling you stuff for gold, GOOD. Having innkeepers telling you info that can be bullcrap, Not so GOOD. Having a system that can inform players whether there info is correct based on them having a high level/reputation that is hard to get, might be worth adding.