Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Levels

Does anyone know how expansions or new content will be released? I am unable to find much information on this. I would like to know if the level cap will increase. Coming from Eve Online, which I still play, the advantages of not having a level cap increase with expansions or new contact is enormous. Going beyond the basic leveling content, keeping the “old endgame” content relevant with the new makes for a much more diverse world. While a challenge for a level based MMO, keeping all of the content you worked so hard on relevant is an advantage to the alternative. I do not enjoy a new level grind every couple of years to get to the content I want to play.

Comments

• Options
    GumdropsGumdrops Member, Explorer, Kickstarter
    edited July 2020
    Level cap will be increased ( https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Expansions )
    Reminder to stay on topic
  • Options
    AlizeeAlizee Member
    edited August 2020
    It'll most likely be 5-10 levels every few months, no biggie.

4622.gif
  • Options
    Alizee wrote: »

Nooo, that would be bad. I think level increases should come with big expansions, not quarterly updates.
    We don't need or want another WoW with 120 levels.
  • Options
    AlizeeAlizee Member
    edited August 2020
    phdmonster wrote: »

Nooo, that would be bad. I think level increases should come with big expansions, not quarterly updates.

What if the expansions are quarterly though?

4622.gif
  • Options
    phdmonster wrote: »

What if the expansions are quarterly though?

That would still be bad. It means that in 1 year from max level 50 you'd be at what? 70 to 90? That's ridiculous.
    In 2 years you'd be past the mid 100s. That's just a bad idea

Major expansions take a lot of time and generally bring big changes and/or a lot of new content to an MMORPG. Even Blizzard needs 2 years to release an expansion and 80% of them are trash - what do you think they would look like if they had 4 months?

We don't need that much more levels every expansion. Even if you increase the level cap by 1, just make meaningful changes to the game and have a reason for the increased level cap. Just increasing the max level and adding some new mob spawns to make sense of the increase is a bad design decision and shouldn't be done in MMORPGs anymore. Blizzard has been doing it for 15 years and their game only functions because people who have sunk 10 years into it don't want to stop playing it and lose 10 years of their life.