Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Dragon wings model

Hey,

Maybe it will be a bit picky, since game is still in a development, but judging from official wiki page dragon model looks more or less define. So what do you guys think about model itself?

My suggestion is to make some changes to wings. More like it is in nature (bats for example). For now wings looks very unappealing to me, like they wouldn't work on a real creature. Like they don't have capacity to catch wind and lift that massive body.

wings.png

I hope that model isn't final yet, but if it is, I leave my thoughts here :)

Comments

• Options
    NamilNamil Member
    That type of wing design is more common of Wyverns (Wyrmlings in the case of AoC), you can tell it's not just a normal dragon by the fact it has a hand-like bone structure on the wings to walk on. All the 'Dragons' that have that type of wing span in the image you provided actually come under the Wyrmling section on the Wiki despite what the individual images might be called.

Now, on the contrary there is a named and normal dragon called the Elder Dragon on the wiki too that has the sort of wingspan that you're looking for.

1200px-vlcsnap-2019-11-24-10h03m43s448.png

So, that wing design is actually pretty realistic and makes sense when it comes to being able to mount them and ride around on their backs imo. Everything I've said could just be down to semantics in wording but there seems to be a pretty clear distinction for a reason, guess we'll find out!
  • Options
    on wiki it is a bit confusing right now. Once they call it Ochre Legion Dragon, on other Ochre Legion Wyrmling. Don't know what exactly wyrmling is but if it is a Wyvern then it shouldn't have front legs. Only winged arms that he can rest on. Only dragons have four legs and pair of wings. Either way I hope they change that ugly "pointy" wings :P
  • Options
    Balrog21Balrog21 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I do agree, I"m not a fan of the dragon we see...hopefully there will be others with the nice huge wings...if they can pull of a combo of Elmore, Parkinson, and Easley dragons....then oh my will they rock!
  • Options
    NunkaNunka Member
    edited August 2020
    I totally agree with you on this Grimzar ! They don't looks real in terms of physics.

XUWpcMG.pngEven the animation seems weird and unrealistic. I really hope they change that for the release !
  • Options
    Nunka wrote: »
    I totally agree with you on this Grimzar ! They don't looks real in terms of physics.

XUWpcMG.pngEven the animation seems weird and unrealistic. I really hope they change that for the release !

It looks like Onyxia ate Mister Fantastic from the Fantastic 4 and gained elasticity powers.
  • Options
    Graphics will get a second and third pass if i remember correctly, so don't worry to much of it for now ;)

And those wings are already a big complain in the community, they will probability upgrade them ;)
    Well I hope so ...
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited August 2020
    They actually used a realistic wingmodel for the Wyrmling...

p2.jpg

what_you_wanted_to_know_about_pterosaur_wings_by_smnt2000_d7w38g3-fullview.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOiIsImlzcyI6InVybjphcHA6Iiwib2JqIjpbW3siaGVpZ2h0IjoiPD01MzUiLCJwYXRoIjoiXC9mXC9lYWM2MzNmOS00MmMxLTQ4NWEtODg5YS0wNTE1OTY2MDVhODVcL2Q3dzM4ZzMtY2NlMTRiZTgtMTJiOC00MjNhLWE1YjItYjk1YTA0ZTE4NmM0LmpwZyIsIndpZHRoIjoiPD04MDAifV1dLCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcnZpY2U6aW1hZ2Uub3BlcmF0aW9ucyJdfQ.EqVDF0nTUBGlrMbS2HurF3SY7YvMHn7DN8pwkiqH4dU

You guys should have studied Biology or Engineering before being able to say that wings are "realistic" or not because they are complex organs which were developed by one of the best engineers we have ever seen: Biological Selection.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    GrimzarGrimzar Member
    edited August 2020
    Damokles wrote: »

Pterosaur isn't wyrmling :) And pointy wing isn't a problem, only membrane surface and overall scaling. Even on your pictures wing/body ratio is different and acceptable. Also Pterosaur has 2 legs and 2 wing-arms, while dragon got 4 legs and 2 wings. But in AoC it looks like a some kind of mix (by biological selection xD). Also Pterosaur stretch his whole body to make the surface even bigger (like flying squirrel). You cant attach same wings to different creature and call it a day.

bats got similar wing membrane but more dragony look, but still the aren't wyrmlings :D

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Grimzar wrote: »

Pterosaur isn't wyrmling :) And pointy wing isn't a problem, only membrane surface and overall scaling. Even on your pictures wing/body ratio is different and acceptable. Also Pterosaur has 2 legs and 2 wing-arms, while dragon got 4 legs and 2 wings. But in AoC it looks like a some kind of mix (by biological selection xD). Also Pterosaur stretch his whole body to make the surface even bigger (like flying squirrel). You cant attach same wings to different creature and call it a day.

bats got similar wing membrane but more dragony look, but still the aren't wyrmlings :D

The Wyrmling doesnt have 4 legs. He has 2 small hindlegs and uses his wings as forelimbs.
    Imagine it as a fiery, oversized lizard pterosaur. Wyrmling =/= Dragon.

There are many different kinds of "Dragons" in Ashes, with Wyrmlings being one of the most common as far as i know.

@Namil Already posted a picture of one of the "real" dragons in Ashes, whose claw is as tall as a player btw.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    The Wyrmling doesnt have 4 legs. He has 2 small hindlegs and uses his wings as forelimbs.
    Did you read my post? :) I know that, even point it out way above. What exactly is creature from dungeon then? cause it has 4 legs and can use winged arms as forelimbs?
    @Namil Already posted a picture of one of the "real" dragons in Ashes, whose claw is as tall as a player btw.
    yeah and I replied that even on wiki they call "ugly one" either dragon or wyrmling which is confusing. The one from dungeon is just reskinned version from my first post and they call it dragon.
    Whatever they call it :D I don't wanna argue in sake of arguing cause you are missing the point of this topic => wings looks ugly and unnatural on that thing which may be a dragon, but ofc this is only my opinion.

The "real dragon" looks cool though.

I will just wait for final release
  • Options
    Did you read my post? :) I know that, even point it out way above. What exactly is creature from dungeon then? cause it has 4 legs and can use winged arms as forelimbs?
    yeah and I replied that even on wiki they call "ugly one" either dragon or wyrmling which is confusing. The one from dungeon is just reskinned version from my first post and they call it dragon.
    Whatever they call it :D I don't wanna argue in sake of arguing cause you are missing the point of this topic => wings looks ugly and unnatural on that thing which may be a dragon, but ofc this is only my opinion.

The "real dragon" looks cool though.

I will just wait for final release

I think that you have something mixed up....
    The Dungeon endboss IS A WYRMLING. A so called Pyroclastic Wyrmling if i am not wrong. It is just a upscaled version of the standard wyrmlings with a different skin.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    @Damokles
    You really like to argue in sake of just arguing don't you? :)
    according to internet wyrmling is a small dragon or wyrm. Since wyrm is wingless and limbless then I assume it's dragon.

I ask you straight forward => Do you like look of wyrmling wings?
    Yes? cool. No? then we agree

Lets just stop this nonsense
  • Options
    @Damokles
    You really like to argue in sake of just arguing don't you? :)
    according to internet wyrmling is a small dragon or wyrm. Since wyrm is wingless and limbless then I assume it's dragon.

I ask you straight forward => Do you like look of wyrmling wings?
    Yes? cool. No? then we agree

Lets just stop this nonsense

I dont know if you want to be dense or not....
    They named their creatures how they want to name them, not after how everyone else wants to call something.
    A Wyrmling here is what a wyvern would be in our world.

And yes I do like the wing design, but my problem was not that you didnt like them (I dont care enough for the topic tbh), but that you said that they should "make them more realistic" even though they are already realistic...
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    VentharienVentharien Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I think that you have something mixed up....
    The Dungeon endboss IS A WYRMLING. A so called Pyroclastic Wyrmling if i am not wrong. It is just a upscaled version of the standard wyrmlings with a different skin.

I think he's getting confused over your earlier post

Since it is called a wyrmling and has hind and fore legs, and also uses its wings as psuedo limbs for support as it moves.
  • Options
    GrimzarGrimzar Member
    edited August 2020
    A Wyrmling here is what a wyvern would be in our world
    even Steven call it dragon in one of his video :)
    even though they are already realistic...
    what you fail to prove, that's why I am still replying to you.

every time you quote me, you don't give any counter argument just switching the subject. We won't probably come to an agreement. So let it be.

Peace man

• Options
    A wyrmling is a dragon as a wyvern is a dragon as an amphithere is a dragon

They’re all just subtypes of dragon, now can we please all agree that realistic or not, the current iteration looks like origami?
  • Options
    It doesnt matter what it is called. Wings are ugly and dont suit the mighty creature. Period !
  • Options
    I think dragons had big wings.
  • Options
    MikeGibsonMikeGibson Member
    edited March 2023
    I've always dreamed of seeing a dragon in real life. Although I know that dragons are mythical creatures and don't actually exist, that hasn't stopped me from surrounding myself with dragon-themed merchandise. I recently discovered https://dragon-vibe.com/, an online store that sells dragon-themed clothing, jewelry, and home decor. I couldn't resist browsing their website, and I ended up purchasing a dragon hoodie and a dragon necklace.
  • Options
    Arya_YesheArya_Yeshe Member
    edited March 2023
    art by Ciruelo:

d1.jpg

edf768aa3e3e14a65fbd221d5f844d76.jpg

71Qyqnz1biL.jpg

c2a07150d29ab11bb358e8fa0066a234.jpg

61ybMv6bHDL.jpg

95aef545f9eb547b871c701f894d2472.jpg

165623-1024__95775.1664347113.jpg?c=2?imbypass=on

202300003150.jpg

I don't care about realistic
    :relaxed:
    PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.
  • Options
    SpifSpif Member
    edited March 2023
    9wbk1a96su9h.png
    Stable diffusion cab make all the dragons you want, even ones that are kinda fat from gorging on villagers