Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

days building up to sieges

Ive never really used a forum before or made a post of this kind. But, In the days building up to a siege, I feel it would be cool if there was a feeling of tension. Such as border raids and skirmish events. I would love to know if anyone else thinks this could be a cool thing.

Comments

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    It would be.

I would imagine, if I declared a siege that I actually expected to have a chance to win, I'd get what ever resources I could together in the days leading up to it to block as many caravans from entering the city as I could - so I would imagine that tension will be there.

Also, in the time between a siege being declared and actually happening, the services in the node will be greatly restricted - I would imagine this would also add to the tension.
  • Options
    noaani wrote: »
    It would be.

I would imagine, if I declared a siege that I actually expected to have a chance to win, I'd get what ever resources I could together in the days leading up to it to block as many caravans from entering the city as I could - so I would imagine that tension will be there.

Also, in the time between a siege being declared and actually happening, the services in the node will be greatly restricted - I would imagine this would also add to the tension.

Well, since resources get blocked INSIDE the node the moment you declare the siege, i think a better strategy would be to block any leaving caravans. The less resources leave, the more resources you will be able to scavenge if the siege is successful.
  • Options
    phdmonster wrote: »
    It would be.

Well, since resources get blocked INSIDE the node the moment you declare the siege, i think a better strategy would be to block any leaving caravans. The less resources leave, the more resources you will be able to scavenge if the siege is successful.

I'm thinking the less resources get in, the fewer last minute defenses they will be able to build.

I would think most of the resources affected in a node loss would be in freeholds around the node, rather than in the city. If this is the case, that would be much harder to prevent going out - but presumably any resources being put to use on last minute defenses would need to be in the city itself.
  • Options
    I'm thinking the less resources get in, the fewer last minute defenses they will be able to build.

Border raids (if allowed) could also function as ways to destroy some of those defenses/keep them from being built

• Options
    Laveyan wrote: »

Border raids (if allowed) could also function as ways to destroy some of those defenses/keep them from being built

They have a system like this for castles.

In the weeks leading up to a castle siege, you siege the smaller nodes attached to a castle.

The success or failure of these sieges determines the defenses the castle will have in the siege proper.
  • Options
    Laveyan wrote: »

They have a system like this for castles.

In the weeks leading up to a castle siege, you siege the smaller nodes attached to a castle.

The success or failure of these sieges determines the defenses the castle will have in the siege proper.

ooo i did not know this! That is actually so cool
  • Options
    It would be.

I would think most of the resources affected in a node loss would be in freeholds around the node, rather than in the city. If this is the case, that would be much harder to prevent going out - but presumably any resources being put to use on last minute defenses would need to be in the city itself.

I don't think you will be able to construct buildings and defences once a siege is declared. They've specifically said that resources will be locked in the warehouses in the Node and won't be moveable.

Players are prohibited from moving goods out of depositories within the node following a siege declaration against that node. - in https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Sieges#:~:text=Castles%20will%20allow%20players%20to,battles%20fought%20to%20destroy%20nodes. under the Node Siege section.
  • Options
    It would be.

I don't think you will be able to construct buildings and defences once a siege is declared. They've specifically said that resources will be locked in the warehouses in the Node and won't be moveable.

Players are prohibited from moving goods out of depositories within the node following a siege declaration against that node. - in https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Sieges#:~:text=Castles%20will%20allow%20players%20to,battles%20fought%20to%20destroy%20nodes. under the Node Siege section.

Can't move them out, that doesn't necessarily mean they can't be used while there.

This is basically just a way to prevent people from emptying out a node of all valuable resources when a siege is declared so that if the defenders lose, there is less to loot.
  • Options
    It would be.

Can't move them out, that doesn't necessarily mean they can't be used while there.

This is basically just a way to prevent people from emptying out a node of all valuable resources when a siege is declared so that if the defenders lose, there is less to loot.

That depends on your interpretation, but since you have to actually carry materials to the building site of said building, i am betting like.. 3 bucks that you won't be able to use stored player materials to fund new buildings.

The wiki says that the mayor can use the treasury funds to bolster defences and stuff like that, but it is specificallty mentioned that materials stored in storages will be unmoveable
  • Options
    phdmonsterphdmonster Member
    edited July 2020
    Buggy, buggy...
  • Options
    It would be fun if siege and node defense missions can be posted by mayor and attacker to allow defender or attacker have some additional perks. The defender perks will be small siege items like boiling oil, barricade, additional NPC guards etc instead of defense buildings. Example of attacker perks: espionage (gain info of defender movements inside the node on the map for short period of time), node wall escalade, smuggle in a small team of player into the node before the siege start etc. Mayor will pay the player if the mission is successful with money in treasury (instead of buying siege machines, pay the player who contribute to build the siege machine), while attacker can offer a small cut of the loot gained if the siege is successful.
  • Options
    DemidreamerDemidreamer Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I would expect to see early siege groups actively patrolling for caravans and gatherers. Even at a minimum some advanced scouts gathering intelligence and causing mayhem when applicable.

As for the stored resources, I would imagine the mayor would put the city into a type of "wartime effort" where whatever resources that are available are "conscripted" for defense and to keep said resources from falling into the attackers hands.
  • Options

This is where subterfuge & intrigue would come into play...
    What if you could pay someone in the attacking guild to 'tip you off' a day or 2 prior to the Siege Declaration? And quickly move all you goods out (and keep quiet about it). I love that kind of sneaky-sneaky stuff.

Steven Sharif is my James Halliday (Anorak)

Lore-Banner-Ao-C.png

“That is not dead which can eternal lie,
    And with strange aeons even death may die.”

-HPL