Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Add-ons

what is the stance on Addons for this game? I love the customization it gives over one's Ui, But it can also lead to a difference in power for those who use addons and those who don't. I can think of many instances in WoW for example where addons were "required" for a certain boss encounter, and the ramp-up in difficulty as the developers struggle to create challenging content when players have mechanics telegraphed 5min in advance.
I am someone who loves customization and personalization of my UI, I use heavy UI addons in WoW and even create custom artwork/animations to load into my UI; the look and feel of my UI are extremely important to me, and I would love to see some customization in Ashes.
(I think bare minimum players should be able to move and re-size UI elements freely, perhaps re-colour things etc. )
Aside from UI addons, I also have found many Addons created by the community that are fun and useful like RP addons that let you set your name differently / write up an edgy backstory for others to read up on, or addons that let you play music for other players, Addons can be a huge double-edged sword if you include it. on one hand, it gives a lot of customization and creativity to the community, but on the other hand, it can harm the player experience and the in-game community at the same time (an example I can think of for addons affecting the game would be something that let players track nodes in a way that let them manipulate and break the system, giving players with the addon information that players without are now at a disadvantage)

Side note: I know Dota2 sells UI skins in their shop not sure if any others do as well, but I figure it could actually make for a really good cosmetic option that doesn't intrude on visual progression

Comments

• Options
    Undead CanuckUndead Canuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Addons/mods

Addons will not be allowed, in general.[363]

The developers don't want addons/mods to be necessary to experience the game.[364]
    The developers believe that parsers (DPS meters) can have negative effects.[365][363]
    There will be leader boards.[366]
    The design of the game API is still under consideration.[367]
    There will be integrations available for streaming services such as Twitch and a few other services, but it's not something that will be exposed through an API just yet.[368]

We will have a lot of customization present in the both from a UI perspective as well as different data points that will be naturally in the game, but we don't want to open up the mod game just yet. That might be a decision we change in the future but, it's not planned for release.[368] – Steven Sharif

The idea is to make a one-stop-shop from the company when it comes to in-game systems... We don't really want to have addons in my opinion.[364] – Steven Sharif

Please check out the Wiki: https://ashesofcreation.wiki
    You will be able to find pretty much anything official (and they catch up fast after an information dump).
  • Options
    Hey thanks for the info, I tried looking to see if this was mentioned already but hadn't found it, thanks for all the references!
  • Options
    Undead CanuckUndead Canuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Pretty much most of the time, I just direct everyone to the Wiki (https://ashesofcreation.wiki/).

@Lex and the people there are amazing and keep it up to date. Cross-indexing and all!!! I am sure they have thousands of faeries working away at the site.