UI theme

So, when we discuss UI in games we could go on forever because everyone has an opinion on this and I think we can all agree that a decent UX makes playing much more pleasant.
That being said I wanted to know what theme do you guys prefer for games' UI? I've played quite some MMORPGs and UI themes don't have much variation, the game that has shown a great deal of difference from many games I have played is Guild Wars 2. I still consider it the best UI/UX a game could have, the painterly shapes and smooth fading animation plus sustainable multi-window design is really really superior.

How do you guys wish the game UI would look like in the finished product? What's your ideal UX principles from a gamer standpoint?
"Magic is not a tool, little one. It is a river that unites us in its current."

I heard a bird ♫

Comments

• Potato BasketPotato Basket Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I just want to be able to hide the ui completely for immersion purposes
  • ninfosho wrote: »
    I just want to be able to hide the ui completely for immersion purposes

Oh yeah, for sure, I also want that. It's kind of baseline for MMOs at this point but it's important to mention yeah

I heard a bird ♫
  • For me, focus frames and target of target frames are extremely useful to me as someone who mains support/healer classes.

Other than that, it would be great to have a lightweight notepad within the UI, particularly if I can actually produce Note items that I can hand off to other people.

I don't consider this a need so much as a want, mind you, as it's much better for immersion to remain in game rather than tabbing out to write stuff down.

Oh yeah, an in game calendar that I can sync with my guild and friends is handy too, but again, that's more a want than a need. Can be handled outside of game pretty easily.

All of that being said, in terms of design philosophy behind the UI, I'm a firm believer in 'less is more'. I don't particularly care for a ton of graphical elements to my ui, and would really like to have the options to hide any individual elements that aren't relevant to the content I'm participating in. (Maybe a couple of UI preset toggles so that I don't have to switch around my frames all the time)?

One thing that would be very helpful though is an easily accessible ping, latency and fps monitor with the option to share those metrics with your party and/or raid so that the group is less likely to be blindsided by a random d/c.
  • Niraada wrote: »
    One thing that would be very helpful though is an easily accessible ping, latency and fps monitor with the option to share those metrics with your party and/or raid so that the group is less likely to be blindsided by a random d/c.

As someone who will likely struggle with this it's an amazing suggestion! Devs, listen to this man, we need a cool, simple and well-designed connection/fps monitor!

I heard a bird ♫