Crafting and Item Degradation

rhimerhime Member, Explorer
I haven't seen much info on this, but will crafting involve item degradation similar to SWG or UO where items(weapons or armor) will wear down with use or basic repair? SWG had a system where you could destroy an item by trying to repair it in the field and if you weren't a master crafter, the chances increased that this could happen.
I'm hoping this type of crafting system is in the game allowing crafters to play a more important role in the game's economy.

Comments

• nibiru97nibiru97 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Yes there is durability that decreases on use and players and npc's will be needed to repair them. I believe Steven said the items needed to repair certain items would be components that it took to make the item. Like a crafted Iron sword might need a certain amount of iron, or something along those lines.
  • rhimerhime Member, Explorer
    Sounds promising...and if we can add names to crafted weapons/armor or who created them that would be a bonus! :)
  • rhime wrote: »
    Sounds promising...and if we can add names to crafted weapons/armor or who created them that would be a bonus! :)

I didnt even think about that man. +1
  • ZuppexZuppex Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Being able to input a flavour text or name of an item would be amazing.
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    rhime wrote: »

The name of the character that crafted the item will appear on the items examine window.
  • George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    The system may or may not be too complicated. I think that Steven just wants it as a gold sink for players of higher level, so that they don't rest on their laurels when they collect their gear.

It is a cleaver way to keep them invested in the game, similar to spending gold on potions and what not. Steven said that the repair won't be as taxing to low-mid lv players.

So, if the purpose of this system is mainly to give an incentive to high lv players to go out, produce wealth in order to remain capable in combat, I don't think there is a need for complicated repair mini games every time your damaged gear reduces your combat performance.