Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

A different look on Multi Boxing

I see a lot of posts of people talking about very valid points of the problems and potential exploits of multi-boxing but have yet to see one talk about these fundamental issues.

Multiboxing harms the social experience in an MMORPG, Steven said it himself that you need to have a large player base for an MMORPG to work and for that basis to be at its most optimal experience, a player multi-boxing is going to harm that aspect. A player multi-boxing is taking away possible social interactions from another player because each toon online is potential social content for the normal player.

Now I expect people are going to ask me, what should they do about it. I don't know the best solution and I'm sure the developers of this game have much better ideas than me but my guess is just have multi-boxing against the Terms of Service and let players report potential multi-boxers that leads to a Game Master investigation. This opinion of mine is going to be one of the slowest methods to crack down on this issue but hey, its at least something.

Kind of like the laws against J-walking, since its a law, fewer people are going to do it.

This is my first post and I'm ready for some black lash so let me have it :)

Just try to remember I think in the spirit of MMORPGs the normal player is expecting one person is one character online at a time. I don't think any MMORPGs have been designed around players having multiple accounts online at a time or at least this isn't being a design that way but if a developer tells me differently.....damn this isn't the game for me then.

Comments

• Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Multi Boxing thread number 6.

recorded for prosperity
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    GumdropsGumdrops Member, Explorer, Kickstarter
    Nagash wrote: »

recorded for prosperity

how about opening an own thread about the multi boxing threads >:)
    Reminder to stay on topic
  • Options
    Gumdrops wrote: »

recorded for prosperity

how about opening an own thread about the multi boxing threads >:)

I am the historian of the forums not the instigator :D
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    Multi Boxing has a lot more than one thread. Should really have its one category by now lol.
  • Options
    NeurotoxinNeurotoxin Member, Alpha One
    There's a lot of problems, with multi-boxing for sure, and trying to curtail it will be difficult. I don't know that I entirely agree that it ruins other player opportunities, consider that you may join a part that is mostly multi-boxed but needs a dedicated ______ (healer, probably) where the opportunity would have existed if the multi-boxers in the party played solo. It DOES reduce the number of additional players needed to approach group content, which runs the risk of turning the MMO into more of a single-player experience like we see in pure theme park MMOs.

recorded for prosperity

There's 10 posts on the subject now, I'm keeping a rolling list on my own post.

• Options
    Neurotoxin wrote: »
    There's a lot of problems, with multi-boxing for sure, and trying to curtail it will be difficult. I don't know that I entirely agree that it ruins other player opportunities, consider that you may join a part that is mostly multi-boxed but needs a dedicated ______ (healer, probably) where the opportunity would have existed if the multi-boxers in the party played solo. It DOES reduce the number of additional players needed to approach group content, which runs the risk of turning the MMO into more of a single-player experience like we see in pure theme park MMOs.

recorded for prosperity

There's 10 posts on the subject now, I'm keeping a rolling list on my own post.

You are correct, it seems my archive is incomplete
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options

recorded for prosperity

Posterity*

How are you going to be prosperous by recording this information.

Lmao.
  • Options
    Whiskiz wrote: »

recorded for prosperity

Posterity*

How are you going to be prosperous by recording this information.

Lmao.

because all info is precise to me that's why. you lose three forums you start to care about posts, even the bad ones
    nJ0vUSm.gif