Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Nodes Should be Named by the Players

This game is a role players dream with many promised features to make your character unique. I feel like the mayor of the node should be able to name it and it updates in game to enhance the experience. Of course I think there should be restrictions in place so it can't be named anything. Maybe have a cost associated with renaming so names aren't constantly changing. This seems like a great idea when paired with fog of war since most people won't remember the names of nodes they only walked past anyway. It would be cool to walk through an area you haven't been to since launch and see how the nodes have grown and renamed to represent little cities.

Comments

• Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    This is kind of already in place. Governments supposedly will have the ability to name a node as it is developed. But they can’t just name it anything (as you said there should be restrictions). They will be able to choose from a predetermined list of names when making their decision.

Read this article:
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Nodes

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    Ah, yes.

"we've pioneered our way through this land m'lord and founded our own little hamlet, what shall it be called?"
    "mcdonalds n' burgerkings"
    "are you sure m'lord?"
    "lmao yeah."

though despite that I would totally like naming nodes ourselves, maybe just have a GM approve the names so it doesn't become too much of a meme.
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    21quentin wrote: »
    Ah, yes.

"we've pioneered our way through this land m'lord and founded our own little hamlet, what shall it be called?"
    "mcdonalds n' burgerkings"
    "are you sure m'lord?"
    "lmao yeah."

though despite that I would totally like naming nodes ourselves, maybe just have a GM approve the names so it doesn't become too much of a meme.

I mean they are doing that with images so maybe
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    VolgaireVolgaire Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Have a few predetermined names maybe? I mean we are coming back to this world and I assume settlements had names before so it would make sense if the big bois back home had plans for what we the settlers were to name these places.
  • Options
    I was thinking about this yesterday. It would be awesome to be able to name the nodes. Though if each mayor renames a node each month it'll be hard to keep track of everything. When a city gains a new mayor IRL we don't get a new city name.

That being said i could see having a "city council" feature or something that allows for people to vote on if a name should change or not. in the even a name change is to occur the name can be submitted to a GM for review / approval first. More work for them i know but would be cool.
  • Options
    Hey guys,

I stumbled upon this thread when thinking about the node renaming. Wouldnt it be cool if players could also rename certain node systems.

For example: A guild wants to establish a coastal node and turn it into a pirate bay. The name of the city could be anything pirate-like, the taxes could be renamed to "The captain's share" and the city council would be "deck officers" etc.

The mechanics would be the same but I think for immersion it would be great to rename these systems to reflect a nodes "personality".

Do you think this would be a good thing?
  • Options
    nidriksnidriks Member, Warrior of Old, Kickstarter
    Aesa wrote: »
    This game is a role players dream with many promised features to make your character unique. I feel like the mayor of the node should be able to name it and it updates in game to enhance the experience. Of course I think there should be restrictions in place so it can't be named anything. Maybe have a cost associated with renaming so names aren't constantly changing. This seems like a great idea when paired with fog of war since most people won't remember the names of nodes they only walked past anyway. It would be cool to walk through an area you haven't been to since launch and see how the nodes have grown and renamed to represent little cities.

Would be nice, but sadly I think it would only be abused.
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited August 2020
    If its not restricted. Your role players dream is going to be a role players nightmare.

Welcome to "LULW TOWN"!
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    Having you pick affixes to combine into a name seems like a safe option.
  • Options
    Have city names be defaulted, but add gold cost to rename. Each rename increase in gold without limit, only the mayor can rename and vote must be cast and approved.
  • Options
    All hail Towny McTownface!
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One

You know that would happen week one
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    4f3c6e922805af62d543dbe01c918e0f.png
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Options
    4f3c6e922805af62d543dbe01c918e0f.png

People might also use racist names for nodes as well. Best not to give people too much freedom.
  • Options
    "Deez Nuts"
  • Options
    FuryBladeborneFuryBladeborne Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    From some of the old monthly AoC videos, we will be able to name cities although we will have to select from a pre-determined list, just as Atama said.

IS wants players to drive world development but does not want players to ruin the environment with examples such as those given in this thread. The same concept is applied to building and placing structures in cities. The mayor will be able to select them, but it will be from pre-determined options to ensure that the game will still look good.
  • Options
    NelsonRebelNelsonRebel Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2020
    I dont want players creating ridiculous town/city/node names

Unless its a selection from an ingame lore appropriate selection to choose from that relates to the world of vera's races/gods.

Because we know how people are with these things lol they'll name it something ridiculous just to troll, or put a name up thats divisive.
  • Options
    Pl1xPl1x Member
    edited August 2020
    Have gone through all the videos on AoC youtube channel the last couple weeks, and i'm sure i saw Steven say the names will be predetermined.
    They didn't want any "Boaty McBoatface" names... Think they said "City McCityface" or something like that :)

As much as i'd like a McCityface, i also see the points mentioned over with racist names etc, so i kinda think it's best if the name is left in the devs' hands.
  • Options
    AmelAmel Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Have none of you ever been on the internet before? If they allow player named nodes, its going to be an utter shitshow of nazi names and racial slurs. Literaly 1st day of the game there would be a node with hitler in its name.
  • Options
    seriously?

My first thought was: "how many settlements we will see named Rapey McRapeville?"

The anonymity that the internet provides too often brings out the worst in people. If anything, let the player choose from a set of pre-generated names (much like most mmo's let you auto-generate a random fantasy name for your character).