Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Land Mounts

George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
edited July 2020 in General Discussion
What I propose here has 0 gameplay benefits, the opposite actually. Especially with the absence of easy fast travel mechanics. But I think it will make the world of Verra a bit more refined in comparison with other mmos (and even games). Personally I am very tired at these conveniences that developers design for mmo adventurers:
Teleports
Instance Group Finder
Quick summon/mount mounts for almost CONSTANT increased movement speed.

We spent our times 100% mounted, unless we are in combat. And that starts to turn from convenience to ugliness for me.

Have you ever found yourself grossed out by the amount of times you mount/dismount in a short period of time? Being in a city, going from 1 NPC to the other?
Mount
Travel 2 steps
Dismount
Talk to NPC
Mount
Travel 5 steps
Dismount
Mount travel 3 steps
Dismount

Have you ever caught yourself being annoyed by hoards of players on mounts pilled up near the BANK npc, or the GateKeeper?

What about doing those easy as quests: go to around the farm, pick up a flower, some grain, some herbs or whatever, all in close proximity. But here we are, we mount/dismount because it makes it go faster.

I remember when having a mount meant a great deal. It meant that you would travel with a nice movement speed bonus somewhere far and you were so glad that you achieved to get that mount.

AoC won't have too much fast travel and that's great. What if also:
1) Summoning a mount took a few moments, instead of the instant movement speed bonus that you get from liking the mount key
2) Mounts were not allowed to run inside villages and cities
3) Mounts had a cooldown for a minute or so after being unsummoned.

I for one look forward to being glad about my mount, instead of taking it as a granted increased movement speed mechanic that I can use ALL THE TIME unless I'm in combat. I also look forward if that changes for the moments that the group saddles up and goes to ride on the sunset.

In addition, when you can mount in an instance and start running around with your increased movement speed, you feel very little satisfaction when there is a chance for group mounts. And if I am not mistaken there will be group mounts?

Comments

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    I actually liked the idea of stables that were in BDO (iirc).

I really like the idea of having to put any mount you are not using in to a stable, or leaving it on your freehold.

Putting a stable outside of all nodes, and requiring no mounts in towns, cities and metropolis' could actually be good gameplay.

It could also mean the stables are a building that the node has to chose to build - meaning nodes that want travellers will have them, and nodes that don't, won't

That said, I'd gladly take longer summon casts and such over what most other games have these days, for sure.
  • Options
    MarcetMarcet Member
    I agree with everything you said
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Sounds like a interesting idea to be fair
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    TimeraiderTimeraider Member, Phoenix Initiative, Hero of the People, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Would love to see my mount as more than a simple speedboost, agreed.
    SoulfulDisastrousIrukandjijellyfish-small.gif
    A being can not judge light if he has never seen it, neither can he judge darkness if he never has been it
  • Options
    SepiDNSepiDN Member
    To be honest when I played Lineage 2 I did not miss mounts one bit. Then I got to World of warcraft and liked how the mounts looked but once I got one I rather used my Hunters aspect of cheetah. It was more annoying to just keep mounting/dismounting than just walk.

I'd love a "summoning" time for mounts (10sec?). It would make it be actually for travelling rather than just speed boost as you mentioned. Great idea imo.
  • Options
    I think that this would help with the concept of a living, breathing world
  • Options
    NamilNamil Member
    Interesting concept, but will be an annoying and unnecessary inconvenience if implemented. There’s no need for this and as you said, doesn’t add any gameplay elements.

If you want some extra realism we may aswell feed them too, so when we have to take a month away from the game we can come back to a stable full of horse bones.

If you keep piling on ideas which take away the ‘conveniences’ of the game then you’re eventually just going to slow down the gameplay more than necessary to have an immersive feeling world, I don’t personally want to have something as simple as mounting feel like a chore because I need to cast a 5-10 second channel.
  • Options
    Potato BasketPotato Basket Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I'm all for not allowing mounts inside the city/village
  • Options
    AardvarkAardvark Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited July 2020
    We should not devalue collecting mounts by only letting you carry one. You should have a mount bag just for mounts to show off your collection and be able to use the best one for the situation. Otherwise why even bother collecting more than 1 ?
  • Options
    Aardvark wrote: »
    We should not devalue collecting mounts by only letting you carry one. You should have a mount bag just for mounts to show off your collection and be able to use the best one for the situation. Otherwise why even bother collecting more than 1 ?

There are reasons for having more than one.

You'll want a fast horse for general transport.

You'll want a mule to carry stuff.

You'll want an aquatic mount.

But other than having one of each type, what possible reason could there be for having more than one mount?

I mean, "showing off" isn't really a thing, and is absolutely not a reason. The only real reason to have more than one of each type is if you want to have more than one of each type.
  • Options
    noaani wrote: »

But other than having one of each type, what possible reason could there be for having more than one mount?

I mean, "showing off" isn't really a thing, and is absolutely not a reason. The only real reason to have more than one of each type is if you want to have more than one of each type.

First, you want backups for each mount. Second, you want the best possible combination, and breeders will try to improve the stats.
  • Options
    Kat_N7Kat_N7 Member
    I agree with not allowing mounts in villages/cities, and I think you should have to dismount for all forms of interaction (gathering, speaking to NPC etc.) to deflate crowding. Just recently I tried Albion Online and was being showed around by a friend who has been playing for a long time, and the town center we went to was incredibly over-saturated with players on their mounts. This made the entire space overwhelming to look at and nearly impossible to find things without knowing their location by some other means.

Mounts at their core are for convenience. I would love a mount system similar to RDR2 where you can dismount and walk around (limited distance before it despawns) and you have to walk back to your mount OR spend a long cast time to summon it again. If you don't travel too far then you can get back on your mount fairly quickly.

That's sort of counter to my original point about crowding, but if you don't allow mounts in villages/cities then I think this would be perfectly fine in open world where players are more spread out.
  • Options

First, you want backups for each mount. Second, you want the best possible combination, and breeders will try to improve the stats.

Backups is valid.

Best possible combination would come when buying a mount. Breeders would obviously need multiple - but in that case, they are stock, not mounts.
  • Options

Backups is valid.

Best possible combination would come when buying a mount. Breeders would obviously need multiple - but in that case, they are stock, not mounts.

WDYM stock? Animal husbandry has been said to be able to breed actual mounts, combat pets and animals for food.

Best mounts will most probably come from extremely rare tames, husbandry and maybe extremely rare drops from bosses etc.

Also, mounts can be killed, yes. So you might need multiple ones of the same type.
  • Options
    WiplasherWiplasher Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty
    Mounts should definitely not be allowed in nodes once they hit level 3. I am fine with people just running through a campsite on a horse or something.

Cool down wise I think 5 seconds would be close to the sweet spot. 10 seconds is a long freaking time to summon a mount.

You get my vote on this one. Also thank you for providing constructive points to you argument to change my mind.
  • Options
    WMC51WMC51 Member
    I could get behind a longer summon time and not allowing mounts in town. Mounting to go 3 houses down or 40 feet to the next flower you harvest does get a bit silly.
  • Options
    phdmonster wrote: »

Backups is valid.

WDYM stock? Animal husbandry has been said to be able to breed actual mounts, combat pets and animals for food.

Best mounts will most probably come from extremely rare tames, husbandry and maybe extremely rare drops from bosses etc.

Also, mounts can be killed, yes. So you might need multiple ones of the same type.

Negative when it's "killed" it just activates a timer before you can summon it again
  • Options
    AstrobinaryAstrobinary Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I agree with no mounts inside of nodes from level 3 on. Imagine a packed city with large mounts and character collisions. It would be a pain to get around town. Also, 5 second cast time is the sweet spot in my opinion.
  • Options
    I agree with no mounts inside of nodes from level 3 on. Imagine a packed city with large mounts and character collisions. It would be a pain to get around town. Also, 5 second cast time is the sweet spot in my opinion.

Are you making 200 trips from your cart to the vendor or are you pulling the cart by hand?
  • Options
    AstrobinaryAstrobinary Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

Are you making 200 trips from your cart to the vendor or are you pulling the cart by hand?

Good point actually.

Perhaps another solution would be to have a location on the outskirts of the city where you have to unload your goods into a wooden cart where you can then transfer it to the location safely.
  • Options
    WMC51WMC51 Member
    Mounts have different tags so mules could be brought into towns and riding ones parked outside or at stables.
  • Options
    VentharienVentharien Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I think it would be fine if a mayor could choose whether the node would be a mountable zone or not, But if i remember correctly, mounts will act similar to Archeage, in that they follow you and only leave when forcibly unsummoned, or killed.
  • Options
    NetoryNetory Member
    BSkitty wrote: »
    I agree with not allowing mounts in villages/cities, and I think you should have to dismount for all forms of interaction (gathering, speaking to NPC etc.) to deflate crowding.

I think maybe mounts should be allowed in cities for players that are just passing through so they don't automatically get thrown off their mount as soon as they enter the city, but I agree interacting with anything in town should dismount them without the option to remount until they leave, and maybe even add a debuff or timer that'll dismount them if they spend too long in town while mounted.
    BSkitty wrote: »
    Mounts at their core are for convenience. I would love a mount system similar to RDR2 where you can dismount and walk around (limited distance before it despawns) and you have to walk back to your mount OR spend a long cast time to summon it again. If you don't travel too far then you can get back on your mount fairly quickly.

That's a really good idea! A long cast time might even be good for pvp to keep players in the fight rather than encourage them to mount up and run if they start losing, nothing is more frustrating to me than a mage or rogue teleporting/stealthing behind a rock to break line of sight and then mounting off into the sunset while flipping me off.
    0sGgchB.png
  • Options
    phdmonster wrote: »
    I assume you know how baby mounts are made.

You have a mother mount and a father mount, and if they love each other VERY much, they can make a baby mount.

In this scenario, the mother and father are consider breeding stock.
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited July 2020
    this conversation isn't about mount abilities, and husbandry system.