Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Cosmetics - Should thresholds/triggers be implemented for Real-Money purchases?

DeztoxDeztox Member
edited July 2020 in General Discussion
Hi,

My name is Deztox and I'm really looking forward to this game as it more or less seems like a dream come true if all the devs aspirations for the game comes true.

This post is about Cosmetics and how they will play out through the game. As I understand from watching the latest interviews with Game Director Steven it seems that Real-Money and In-game cosmetics will be somewhat on par in terms of looks etc. Overall I have no issue with this what so ever, fully understand the arguments and it helps fill the pockets for the company for further development. However, there is a few things unsaid on this matter.

Can and should Real-Money cosmetics be applicable from when you first enter the game, e.g.:

can/should I be able to equip my character skin as a level 1
can/should I be able to equip my mount skin on my first mount etc.

Overall, it takes away a lot of the accomplishments from cosmetics acquired through achievements, etc. if above is the case.
However, I understand the entire point with the Real-Money cosmetics program is that people don't need to fulfill such things to achieve great looks.

My view on this is that there should be minor thresholds before these skins should be useable in the game. This will offer progression for the casual players that have bought these cosmetics. Furthermore, it will avoid the fact that a level 1 just entering the game will look more epic than a level 50 with amazing gear running around in the same zone, as this would almost resemble comedy..

Best regards, Deztox.

Let me know what you think :smile:

Comments

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Deztox wrote: »
    Yes.

Why?

Because yes.
  • Options
    DeztoxDeztox Member
    noaani wrote: »
    Yes.

Why?

Because yes.

That is not really an argument :smile:
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited July 2020
    Yes.

Why?

Because yes.

Sure it is.

I even gave you my reasoning.

---

Ok, here is a real reason.

There are people that have bought and paid cosmetics for the game three years ago. The game is still likely at least 18 months away (I would say 24 - 30).

The day the game is released, there will be people that would have had purchased cosmetic items 5 years prior or more.

There is no good reason to not let them use them on that day.
  • Options
    DeztoxDeztox Member
    edited July 2020
    I get that, as I'm merely stating in my view, is that there should be minor thresholds in place, as it takes away from the entire way the game is viewed when played. As a level 1 player potentially can look cooler than a level 50. It could be something as easy as just acquire levels 10, 15, or 25. To give some accomplishment when progressing, e.g., such that when you unlock your secondary archetype that you can also equip your neat skin without any other achievement than just have played the game for maybe 40 hours or so.

Imagine 6-months into the game. You run around in a level 1-5 zone for whatever reason and some new player comes in with amazing looks. I personally think it takes away from the lore and overall feel from the game if it's acquired/useable too early.
  • Options
    TimeraiderTimeraider Member, Phoenix Initiative, Hero of the People, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2020
    Yes.

Why?

Because yes.

Sure it is.

I even gave you my reasoning.

---

Ok, here is a real reason.

There are people that have bought and paid cosmetics for the game three years ago. The game is still likely at least 18 months away (I would say 24 - 30).

The day the game is released, there will be people that would have had purchased cosmetic items 5 years prior or more.

There is no good reason to not let them use them on that day.

Kinda this.. you cannot deny people who bought cosmetics from wearing them when they want to. Especially seeing as they obviously bought with the idea of using them from the start (as it ofcourse never was made clear that they might not be able to).

After a while players will also be able to recognise cosmetics from actually hard to get gear. You will only be able to impress some newbies just coming into the game at best ;D
    I might add that thinking that higher level would give someone more right to wear cosmetics would be quite weird to. Realistically it would make sense, but in a game this would mean that simply the people able to play 24/7 just rush to the max level in a day or 5.. which leaves you with a bunch of cosmetic-wearing max levels who only know how to follow a farm train and have no dungeon experience :D
    SoulfulDisastrousIrukandjijellyfish-small.gif
    A being can not judge light if he has never seen it, neither can he judge darkness if he never has been it
  • Options
    DeztoxDeztox Member
    Timeraider wrote: »
    After a while players will also be able to recognise cosmetics from actually hard to get gear. You will only be able to impress some newbies just coming into the game at best ;D
    I might add that thinking that higher level would give someone more right to wear cosmetics would be quite weird to. Realistically it would make sense, but in a game this would mean that simply the people able to play 24/7 just rush to the max level.. which leaves you with a bunch of cosmetic-wearing max levels who only know how to follow a farm train and have no dungeon experience :D

I agree with your first point completely, anyone will be able to see the difference. It just ... It's a starter zone. Think we posted at the same time more or less, so might not have seen it, but I get that it shouldn't be capped at max level for, e.g., the reason you mention. However, it could be that they unlock at levels from 10-25.
  • Options
    from a business standpoint, telling a player you can't give us your money for cosmetics until you reach <insert level> (or some other gate/wall) doesn't make sense to me. Just as much saying, "you can give us your money now but you can't use the item you bought until <insert same thing as above>. There is no reason, in my opinion, to take cosmetics away from players if that is what they want.

VM5C
  • Options
    KrojakKrojak Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Hi,

I'd like to see cosmetics locked behind a certain level, so that we're all not glowing beacons of awesome the very first minute we step into the world.

Does this make sense from a purely business perspective? Not in the short term.

I just feel like there's value in starting from nothing in an MMO, and that includes your appearance.

• Options
    From what i've read about skins: You will need to find items that are the same grade/tier as the skin you want to equip to be able to equip it.
    The same goes for mounts. If you have a flying mount skin you will be able to equip it on flying mounts and on gliding mounts that are of the same grade/tier.

So, for example, you won't be able to equip a skin that only applies to purple swords on to a level 1 white sword. You also won't be able to apply a dragon skin on a horse or some lowbie butterfly white tier mount.

This may change though, so we will see what comes out in the end. Personally i am fine with the above restrictions.
  • Options
    If someone pays real money for the product they should be able to use it.
  • Options
    krojak wrote: »
    Hi,

I'd like to see cosmetics locked behind a certain level, so that we're all not glowing beacons of awesome the very first minute we step into the world.

Does this make sense from a purely business perspective? Not in the short term.

I just feel like there's value in starting from nothing in an MMO, and that includes your appearance.

I will agree with you about the starting with nothing. I remember having grey/white gear and I'll never forget those first few purple drops when everything else I owned was trash. Maybe It wouldn't be such a big deal to put a req. lvl 10 to equip on glamors/transmogs. That being said, down the line since there won't always be a "newbie area" it won't matter so much.

VM5C
  • Options
    If someone pays real money for the product they should be able to use it.

Meh. In other MMO's you can buy a mount skin day one and not be able to use it until you unlock that mount at a higher level.

If you're told that you don't unlock skin cosmetics until level 20 in game for example, how is that any different from unlocking the ability to mount up at a specific level?
  • Options
    WiplasherWiplasher Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty
    So as one of those that backed the game originally I would have no issue with their being triggers.

However, I think I am the minority and people will want to wear there angle and demon or fire and ice racial skins right off the bat.
  • Options
    If you're told that you don't unlock skin cosmetics until level 20 in game for example, how is that any different from unlocking the ability to mount up at a specific level?

Mounting increases movement speed and transmog increases.... awesomeness?

VM5C
  • Options

Mounting increases movement speed and transmog increases.... awesomeness?

The original statement was about using something you purchased immediately, and I gave an example of a purchase in MMORPGs that you could conceivably not use immediately.
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Maybe you need to do a quest to unlock the dye/transmogs In the first few hours. that could work
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options

Meh. In other MMO's you can buy a mount skin day one and not be able to use it until you unlock that mount at a higher level.

Buying a skin for a mount comes with the understanding that you need a mount just like buying a furniture pack for a house requires a house to put it in. Buying a skin for armor and told you can't wear it until level 20 is just an arbitrary decision.

If I decided to have an alt that I don't use to level up but I want to wear a skin that I bought, I should be able to do that.
  • Options
    DeztoxDeztox Member
    edited July 2020
    phdmonster wrote: »
    From what i've read about skins: You will need to find items that are the same grade/tier as the skin you want to equip to be able to equip it.
    The same goes for mounts. If you have a flying mount skin you will be able to equip it on flying mounts and on gliding mounts that are of the same grade/tier.

So, for example, you won't be able to equip a skin that only applies to purple swords on to a level 1 white sword. You also won't be able to apply a dragon skin on a horse or some lowbie butterfly white tier mount.

This may change though, so we will see what comes out in the end. Personally i am fine with the above restrictions.

That makes good sense, at least if that is the case, I would have no issues with it at all.
  • Options
    DeztoxDeztox Member

Buying a skin for a mount comes with the understanding that you need a mount just like buying a furniture pack for a house requires a house to put it in. Buying a skin for armor and told you can't wear it until level 20 is just an arbitrary decision.

If I decided to have an alt that I don't use to level up but I want to wear a skin that I bought, I should be able to do that.

Your alt is probably not going to stay at level 1, is it?
  • Options

Your alt is probably not going to stay at level 1, is it?

I don't know. Maybe it will. There have been many games that I have used level 1 alts for various stuff.
  • Options
    CaerylCaeryl Member
    Yes players should be able to use their cosmetics at any time, given they have the relevant item that the cosmetic skin applies to.

See, in Ashes when you buy a cosmetic you didn’t buy a functional item. Buying a gliding mount skin does not give you a gliding mount, it simply allows you to alter the appearance of your gliding mount once you obtain it.

Level requirements work fine for gear just for the sake of game health (though a lvl1 in legendary gear would be interesting), but ownership requirements for cosmetics is the only true requirement we have a need for.
  • Options
    I don't see any problem with cosmetics being applicable at lvl 1.

Then again, I would be ok for them to be gated behind something simple, like level. I don't think they should be gated behind any kind of end-game content, pvp, group content, challenging questlines or achievements.
    As you reach level cap, all shop items should be available to you at this point. You shouldn't be gated if you're super-casual that mainly plays for professions or something.
  • Options
    grisugrisu Member
    Yes because the only reason you gave is that it takes away the accomplishment, which isn't the case. Paid skins are a little different so you will know when it's earned and when it's bought and "I" paid for the skin, I don't need progression for it, I bought it so I can use it.
    Another thing to consider is that the skins are probably still built the same way as any armour. Modular and they will expand the higher level you are. So the same skin on a level 1 armour might look a bit different from level 50. Source - wiki

Case closed.
    I can be a life fulfilling dream. - Zekece
    I can be a life devouring nightmare. - Grisu#1819