Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Utility Skills -Something I think a lot of people have overlooked.

Balrog21Balrog21 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
As many of you have watched the AMA with Steven, I wanted to remind those who probably don't remember, way back when Intrepid went to PAX and the scenario they had for their demo showed another class utility skill. It was the cleric, if you didn't get to see this video, there was a pretty heavy damaging fog that hit the players before they went down to the under realm. The cleric had the utility skill that dispersed the fog and made it safe for the other players to venture down to the under realm safely.
After watching the 4k video they put out, the fog is still there and ticked for 50pts damage. I don't know if Steven was mega buffed hp wise to not pay attention to this damage but they all just walked through it, BUT it was there.
In another interview, it might have been the Asmond one, Steven again cites that there will be environmental hazards in dungeons, and I'm guessing that this will sort of adhere to the above scenario.
This comes back around to Steven's playing table top RPG's i.e. Pathfinder, or DnD which is said during the AMA. To me this is a great addition to the game, and if they do it right this will involve everyone in the party, in that each player will be able to contribute to the success of the dungeon or raid, and not just your regular follow the party down the hallway.
To be honest the possibilities are endless with these utility skills.
So far Steven has said a lot about the rogue, finding traps, secret doors, etc.
From the pax scenario Cleric having the disperse ability.
As of yet, we don't know any other classes utilities, but the cool possibilities are too good not to think about.
Imagine if your Wizard has a break arcane lock ability? Read Magic? Detect Magical auras that might be behind a wall that enacts the rogues utility skill to help get to the loot!
What are some of your thoughts or wishes for a specific utility skill for your favorite class?

Comments

• Options
    XraelXrael Member
    Balrog21 wrote: »
    As many of you have watched the AMA with Steven, I wanted to remind those who probably don't remember, way back when Intrepid went to PAX and the scenario they had for their demo showed another class utility skill. It was the cleric, if you didn't get to see this video, there was a pretty heavy damaging fog that hit the players before they went down to the under realm. The cleric had the utility skill that dispersed the fog and made it safe for the other players to venture down to the under realm safely.
    After watching the 4k video they put out, the fog is still there and ticked for 50pts damage. I don't know if Steven was mega buffed hp wise to not pay attention to this damage but they all just walked through it, BUT it was there.
    In another interview, it might have been the Asmond one, Steven again cites that there will be environmental hazards in dungeons, and I'm guessing that this will sort of adhere to the above scenario.
    This comes back around to Steven's playing table top RPG's i.e. Pathfinder, or DnD which is said during the AMA. To me this is a great addition to the game, and if they do it right this will involve everyone in the party, in that each player will be able to contribute to the success of the dungeon or raid, and not just your regular follow the party down the hallway.
    To be honest the possibilities are endless with these utility skills.
    So far Steven has said a lot about the rogue, finding traps, secret doors, etc.
    From the pax scenario Cleric having the disperse ability.
    As of yet, we don't know any other classes utilities, but the cool possibilities are too good not to think about.
    Imagine if your Wizard has a break arcane lock ability? Read Magic? Detect Magical auras that might be behind a wall that enacts the rogues utility skill to help get to the loot!
    What are some of your thoughts or wishes for a specific utility skill for your favorite class?

He also said that rangers would be able to track, while answering the first question in the AMA.

My favorite archetype is Fighter. But I find it difficult to imagine what a unique utility skill for a fighter would be.
  • Options
    @CaptainChuck Fighters are pretty good at hitting things? Maybe there'll be sections of dungeons buried in rubble for them to bash through, or heavy stuff for them to lift?
  • Options
    @Niraada exactly....can't wait to see what all they implement with this.
  • Options
    @Balrog21 I just hope I don't end up needing a fighter to pitch my Bard like a baseball across a jumping puzzle x.x
  • Options
    @Niraada lol, let's hope not!
  • Options
    @Niraada what does come to mind is the scene in the second conan movie when he had to hold the closing door so his friends could escape.
  • Options
    That could be doable. A heavy door that needs to be lifted and then braced for people to pass through.
  • Options
    @Niraada one for the tank could be in order to escape there is a long tunnel or something similar chasm there's a lever on the other side but the area is trapped with some sort of damage....arrows, Lance's, jet of fire?
    The tank will be the only one beefy enough to soak up the damage in order to reach the leaver and disable the trap enabling the party to escape or progress.
  • Options
    XraelXrael Member
    Niraada wrote: »
    That could be doable. A heavy door that needs to be lifted and then braced for people to pass through.

Wouldn't that be the role of a tank?
  • Options
    @CaptainChuck it could be both of their abilities.
  • Options
    BardticBardtic Member, Alpha One
    edited July 2020
    Niraada wrote: »

Wouldn't that be the role of a tank?

Nah, tanks are generally constitution/endurance stat based, not strength. Plus a tank does not need a utility ability. The utility ability of tanks became its class. You can't go into a dungeon without a tank, so they don't need any other utility.

Utility abilities should be added to classes that aren't inherently one of the three parts of the Triforce System. Yes I know its trinity, but cmon, triforce is so much better. Plus not all utility abilities need to be environment based, some, like a bard's utility are the buffs they bring to the table.

The point of utility abilities is to make all classes bring different bonus's to the group outside of their DPS role. If we start seeing multiple classes pop up as the main tank or healer in a group, then utility abilities can be used to add unique bonuses to bringing different types.
    XWeKqaZ.png
  • Options
    Aggro control is probably the strongest utility in the game.

Rogue might open a door, but without a tank, you never even reach the door for the rogue to open it.