Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Post Activity (Raid/Dungeon/Siege) Stats through API

Hey all,

TL;DR
Suggestion for post activity API stream/portal that's available to us for a limited time after an activity.

Prelude
I know something of the sort has been mentioned before and I understand Steven is strictly against Add-ons. But will/can there be a way to access post activity data externally? Like who did the most damage, healing, took most damage, etc. Is it possible to have this data available (perhaps for a limited time) through APIs where individuals can access and download them externally for guild/party/gear-tuning metrics?

The way this could work
Perhaps after some activity the team data could be massaged (for security reasons - so that server logs are not obviously) and made available for consummation through some portal for a limited time (mainly so the backend data stores are not overloaded and incur additional costs to the devs) - perhaps for like 30mins. Within this time, those who are interested in the data could consume and use it in their Dashboards, Excel sheets, archives - what have you.

What do you all think?
Have there been any previous discussion on this?
Would this be useful for anyone? (Or perhaps no one)
What other games have an external activity metrics API?

Comments

• Options
    WMC51WMC51 Member
    Personally hate min / meta gaming so keep it all locked away.
  • Options
    So far what we know is no data at all. No API, therefore no addons. No Combat trackers, nothing.
    Steven is against those.

Some people like @noaani suggested having a combat tracker as a Guild perk, where you can only parse people from your guild, or something like that.

I don't care personally thaaaat much about combat trackers, but if you open the door for one, you can't shut it down for the others.
  • Options
    GumdropsGumdrops Member, Explorer, Kickstarter
    Limited time only would not prohibit that someone from the group or guild will upload it to public websites or dashboards.
    Reminder to stay on topic
  • Options
    a single MVP system per group of 8 would be nice, not just dps maybe good healers and tank also get to be named
    Sign up using my referral link! https://ashesofcreation.com/r/UIT3DTKQYRXWQJXR

South East Asia/Oceania server discord: https://discord.gg/J4Epj77

• Options
    Undead CanuckUndead Canuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Ashes_of_Creation

Addons/mods

Addons will not be allowed, in general.[374]

The developers don't want addons/mods to be necessary to experience the game.[375]
    The developers believe that parsers (DPS meters) can have negative effects.[376][374]
    There will be leader boards.[377]
    The design of the game API is still under consideration.[378]
    There will be integrations available for streaming services such as Twitch and a few other services, but it's not something that will be exposed through an API just yet.[379]

We will have a lot of customization present in the both from a UI perspective as well as different data points that will be naturally in the game, but we don't want to open up the mod game just yet. That might be a decision we change in the future but, it's not planned for release.[379] – Steven Sharif

The idea is to make a one-stop-shop from the company when it comes to in-game systems... We don't really want to have addons in my opinion.[375] – Steven Sharif
  • Options
    Kaielogy wrote: »
    a single MVP system per group of 8 would be nice, not just dps maybe good healers and tank also get to be named

This sounds like a reasonable alternative
  • Options
    Gumdrops wrote: »
    Limited time only would not prohibit that someone from the group or guild will upload it to public websites or dashboards.

Yeah, my idea was to just have the data available externally - so we don't have the drawbacks of add-ons but can still benefit from seeing some performance data. The limited time stuff was just to lessen the load on the devs - I would imagine it doesn't matter who sees how much deeps/heals you do in the game so it could just be public (?). If not there could be an authentication system.

At any rate, it seems everyone is against an external API lol - not too sure as to why though
  • Options
    Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One

I personally dislike systems like this because they encourage selfish behaviour and stat padding instead of working as a team. You see similar things in games like CoD and LoL all the time. "We lost the match but it's ok because I got the most kills, yay me!"
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options

I personally dislike systems like this because they encourage selfish behaviour and stat padding instead of working as a team. You see similar things in games like CoD and LoL all the time. "We lost the match but it's ok because I got the most kills, yay me!"

Fair argument.
    Are you familiar with Wildstar? At the end of a Dungeon they used to have like Medals/Achievements (sometimes random based on highlights, like "Took most damage" and "Ran the most/covered the longest distance" - etc). Something like that would probably not lead to stat padding as there's little stat but, still a fun addition.