Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

How to convince a friend that doesn't really like pvp to play this game ?

Hi everyone!

I am extremely excited about this game, just found out about it because of the interview with Summit1G and told my friends about it. One of them mentioned that he doesn't really like the idea of open pvp, as he had horrible memories of WoW and Stranglethorn Vale.

What possibilities would there be to make him have fun in this game, where the risk of losing your items is pretty high? How could I convince him that even though you might get ganked from time to time, the pros of this game outweigh the cons?

Thanks!

p.s any idea on when the alpha/beta starts ? :P

Comments

• Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Show them nodes 1 and 2 if that does not hype them up then nothing will
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    GboltGbolt Member
    You dont. I think people should go on their own will. If they are dragged by friends, they will probably gonna quit soon anyway. If person comes on his own, he mentally invest into game way more and will enjoy it more too.
    Unless you think he would like pvp centric game, that he only was ruined by bad open world in WoW. Though, in this game, dying has way fiercer consequences than in WoW (in wow u mostly have 0 consequences).
  • Options
    mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2020
    Hard to say.

Probably the best thing to do is to wait until the game comes out and there are content creators talking about this aspect of the game.

Pvp in wow is more of an afterthought and doesn't serve much purpose, especially outside of classic. In ashes, fighting over things in the world is supposed to be part of the game.

For me, it's hard to explain pvx games to people who only have experiences in games like WoW besides just saying it's a different game and they should try to experience it to see if they like it.

Alpha 1 starts this fall, no dates on any testing after that.
  • Options
    The best you could do is point out the aspects you think would appeal to him... while vowing to go through it all, thick or thin, together.

In-game losses make for a compelling experience(take it from a guy that had to explain to the clan how he lost the Majestic set they crafted for him over two weeks the very same night to a karma trap in low level area). As long as you approach everything as a team, you'll at least have a leg up on the people that go at it solo, in both power acquisition and losses restoration.
  • Options
    XraelXrael Member
    edited July 2020
    You cannot lose your items unless you're corrupted. Only highly corrupted players, i.e. players that continuously kill innocent people in the world, will have a chance to lose gear.

I'm not sure if WoW has something similar, but the corruption system in AoC prevents griefing. If someone repeatedly attacks players that don't fight back or low level players, they become corrupted. Corrupted players suffer 4 times the death penalty, will be attacked by NPC guards, they will appear on the map for bounty hunters, and they will also have a chance to drop their gear upon death.

Ask him if he likes social games. If he does, then he will enjoy this game.

Yes, this is a PvP centric game. But there is a ton of PvE content, in the form of open world and instanced dungeons and raids, monster coin events, and a ton of world bosses.

You can also play the game as a crafter, as you can craft gear, on par with legendary gear that drops from dungeons and raids, through the crafting system.

Besides, its only 15$ per month with no box cost. Its worth a try imo.

If you want more detailed info, check out Asmongold's interview with Steven on youtube. It is more detailed than Summit's.
  • Options
    Nagash wrote: »

What exactly should I show him? Are there some videos? I'm rather new to this mmo and only saw a few vids from lazy peon/summit1g.

Thanks all for the responses, didn't expect so many, so fast!

Let me elaborate a bit with the STV situation: He hated being camped non-stop. He basically couldn't play the game, because there was that 1 rogue staying on his corpse. His only solution would have been to call in some guild mates to help him get away. I understand camping by higher level people won't happen as often, but what happens when you die? Do you spawn at base? Is there corpse run? or how is it solved here?

Thanks again.
  • Options
    XraelXrael Member
    edited July 2020
    Vanayad wrote: »
    Nagash wrote: »

What exactly should I show him? Are there some videos? I'm rather new to this mmo and only saw a few vids from lazy peon/summit1g.

Thanks all for the responses, didn't expect so many, so fast!

Let me elaborate a bit with the STV situation: He hated being camped non-stop. He basically couldn't play the game, because there was that 1 rogue staying on his corpse. His only solution would have been to call in some guild mates to help him get away. I understand camping by higher level people won't happen as often, but what happens when you die? Do you spawn at base? Is there corpse run? or how is it solved here?

Thanks again.

Check out the interview with Asmongold and Steven. It was way more detailed than Summits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0LQSMT83L0&t=11s
    Also read my reply post lol.
  • Options
    TalentsTalents Member, Intrepid Pack
    I mean if they don't like PvP at all then this game might not be for them. After all, it is heavily PvP based even though there is plenty of PvE content.
    nI17Ea4.png
  • Options
    If you're set on convincing him to play, buy him a month long sub when the game launches, and ask him to give it a shot. If he likes it, great. If not, well $15.99 isn't nothing, but it's not like you spent $80 just to even try it out like some other titles.
  • Options
    Thanks again everyone!
  • Options
    You cannot lose your items unless you're corrupted. Only highly corrupted players, i.e. players that continuously kill innocent people in the world, will have a chance to lose gear.
    I'm guessing that you're making some distinction between gear and crafting materials, right? I seem to recall from the same source you provide that your base of operation can be raided after a successful siege and some of your materials would be up for grabs if you don't defend them.
  • Options
    XraelXrael Member
    edited July 2020
    OnibakaEX wrote: »
    I'm guessing that you're making some distinction between gear and crafting materials, right? I seem to recall from the same source you provide that your base of operation can be raided after a successful siege and some of your materials would be up for grabs if you don't defend them.

Crafters can craft the highest-tier gear, using the materials that drop from dungeon and raid bosses. The way this takes place is, Dungeon and Raid bosses have a small chance to drop completed gear, but they have a higher chance of dropping crafting materials that can be used to craft that type of gear.

If a node siege is successful, the citizens of that node will lose a portion of the crafting materials (includes the gear crafting material i mentioned above), and gatherables stored in that node.

You can read more about sieges here:

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Sieges#Siege_aftermath
  • Options
    WMC51WMC51 Member
    Tell them you aren't friends anymore if they don't play
  • Options
    darthadendarthaden Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I could be wrong,only time will tell but I dont think open world ganking will be as common as it is in many other pvp mmo's. One you have the corruption system to punish people who gank to often. Two it's actually in the best interest of the Node owners to have you grinding/questing in their node as it provides xp for the node. I'd imagine more often then not the guild in control of a node will be the alpha guild in that node. As long as you dont give people a reason to gank you (like steal a chest they're going after while they're stuck fighting a mob) I see open world ganking being pretty rare
  • Options
    DrokkDrokk Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The 'mandatory pvp' is what's holding me back from fully committing to this game. At 41 years old I just want to play a game, relax, chill out and not constantly be on edge worrying about being ganked and camped.

To be fair, my knowledge of this game is quite outdated, so please correct me if I'm wrong. I have a vague understanding how corruption works and is supposed to discourage griefing, but I feel like the trolls will just toe the line and find ways to kill non-combatants and instantly get rid of corruption. Maybe have a friend right here to kill you since death gets rid of a good degree of it.

I was also worried about the aoe impact. Basically two scenarios. The first being...even if I'm a non-combatant that someone can stand in my aoe, take damage, and then kill me without corruption. But apparently there's a box you can check so you don't do damage to flagged characters with aoe? Also, that non-combatants could kind of troll combatants by standing in their aoe to cause them to get corruption. But again, non-combatants don't take damage from aoe? Am I right on that?

But even besides things like that I wonder why they don't just scrap corruption and let players either flag for pvp or not flag for pvp. Why create an entire system that discourages players from doing an activity? I feel like a lot of casuals will be driven off by the prospect of being killed and losing materials and there is literally nothing you can do about it.

Maybe I'm being irrational. Maybe I don't understand the system. But at this point I want to just relax and have fun playing a game. The stress of constantly looking over my shoulder and worrying about being ganked and losing stuff isn't a fun prospect for me.
  • Options
    Balrog21Balrog21 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    There is sooo much stuff to do other than be worried about pvp...I would suggest you let him watch peons vid.
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Beat up your friend until they give in and agree to play.

You already said they won’t PVP so they won’t hit you back.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    BardticBardtic Member, Alpha One
    edited July 2020
    Take a look at my thread post: https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/45171/understanding-pvx#latest
    I think I made some very valid points on how even though there is PvP, the progression system and consequences for your actions will not make it like PvP in any other game. When players make their own alliances and enemies, they will police the people within their nodes and there are politics and consequences to just randomly attacking people. Its not just some free for all. It truly is a PvX game.
    XWeKqaZ.png
  • Options
    akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Very simple, when the game comes out, try it out.
  • Options
    StevenSharifStevenSharif Moderator, Member, Staff, Avatar of the Phoenix, Kickstarter
    You could always threaten to pvp them irl.
  • Options

that just sounds like bullying worded differently 🌝
    signature.png
  • Options
    Magic Man wrote: »

e37.png
    "Magic is not a tool, little one. It is a river that unites us in its current."

I heard a bird ♫
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Magic Man wrote: »

Corruption is real, man...

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    StevenSharifStevenSharif Moderator, Member, Staff, Avatar of the Phoenix, Kickstarter
    Lol! Was just a joke! No but seriously wut kinda mats they carrying?
  • Options
    Lol! Was just a joke! No but seriously wut kinda mats they carrying?

Hopefully lots of valuable resources 👅Unprocessed gold and some gear mats that will sell for a good price 💰
    signature.png
  • Options
    FofferFoffer Member
    If they really don´t like pvp you probably should not try to convince them imo
  • Options
    RavudhaRavudha Member
    edited July 2020
    What possibilities would there be to make him have fun in this game, where the risk of losing your items is pretty high?

First tell him we don't know if the risk is high; try it out and see. Best case: it's like driving - we know we can get into an accident every time we drive, but, because it's so rare, it ends up not bothering us most of the time.

• Options
    VolgaireVolgaire Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The best thing to do is wait for the game to release and convince to give it a shot really.
  • Options
    grisugrisu Member
    If he doesn't like it AND can't life with the risk of maybe getting ganked for his materials(that's all he can ever lose aside from exp debt) then that's that. End of story.
    Not everyone needs to like a type of game.
    I will say tho that there is more thought put into that dynamic in Ashes than in wow and I think it will play out more systematic. So A gatherer will have a decent chance of getting ganked while someone who just travels from a node to a hunting ground will have a significantly lower chance, but only time will tell whether that's true or not.
    I can be a life fulfilling dream. - Zekece
    I can be a life devouring nightmare. - Grisu#1819
  • Options
    MakosiMakosi Member
    Hi everyone!

I am extremely excited about this game, just found out about it because of the interview with Summit1G and told my friends about it. One of them mentioned that he doesn't really like the idea of open pvp, as he had horrible memories of WoW and Stranglethorn Vale.

What possibilities would there be to make him have fun in this game, where the risk of losing your items is pretty high? How could I convince him that even though you might get ganked from time to time, the pros of this game outweigh the cons?

Thanks!

p.s any idea on when the alpha/beta starts ? :P

If friends prevent you from gaming change your friends.