Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

In game cosmetics progression

KaielogyKaielogy Member
edited July 2020 in General Discussion
I would like the devs to clarify, will in game appearance have a progression to them? I feel too much cash shop cosmetics will ruin the feeling of 'wow, that guy had that gear and it looks awesome!' , or everyone just running around looking similar because of cash shop cosmetics because in game appearance look generic and legendary cosmetics are significantly harder to get.

Lastly, I feel in game legendary cosmetics should look better than cash shop because achievements through in game should be prioritized, like yeah cash shop items look cool but overall in game cosmetics overall should be a tier better.

Overall I just hope there will be plenty of options in game to look good instead of only aiming for the legendary ones and cash shop should be that alternative and more mid tier. Timed cash shops or having legendary cosmetics ratio 1 to 10 in game ones is acceptable too.

South East Asia/Oceania server discord: https://discord.gg/J4Epj77

Comments

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited July 2020
    Most looks in the game will be available both in the cash shop and in game, with color variation being the main differentiator.

There are actual in game cosmetics, rather than just needing to get top end equipment.
  • Options
    AlizeeAlizee Member
    edited August 2020
    Apparently the in-game cosmetics will look the coolest but will take a significant amount of time to obtain.

4622.gif
  • Options
    I don't think anyone said anything about "the coolest".

Basically, the way this was answered in the AMA, is that cool cosmetics will be obtainable in the game. BDO was mentioned as a counter-example, where you look like trash unless you donate.
    In Ashes, the devs want to support appearence-hunting as a valid goal in the game. Many cool items will be obtainable for rare questlines or clearing end-game content and pvp - as status symbols.
    So you shouldn't be concerned.

However the devs realize that MMO community is not kids, and most players have jobs and obligations that prevent them from dedicating time to the game and getting that cool gear. But so as to not exclude them, cosmetic gear will be available in the shop. It seemed to me that this gear will not be simply re-skins of raid items, but a separate collection of vanity equipment.
  • Options
    VolgaireVolgaire Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    There are supposed to be obtainable in-game cosmetics from things like achievements and the armors in-game are supposed to look good too, particularly the high-level items.
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Alizee wrote: »
    Apparently the in-game cosmetics will look the coolest but will take a significant amount of time to obtain.
    In pretty much every MMO I have hated the top end cosmetics. What someone else might think is the “coolest”, I might see as too flashy or too cheap or just not the style I envision for my character. I usually end up with something near the top end or toward the middle of progression.

Style is totally subjective. One person might see a tattered shroud and think it looks cool and edgy and perfect for their warlock. Another person might think it looks like an outfit for a hobo that digs through garbage cans and wants shiny gold and velvet outfits that look like royalty.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Atama wrote: »
    I usually end up with something near the top end or toward the middle of progression.
    I usually end up with something near the low end - something that looks practical.

I'm there to kill stuff, not look pretty.