Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Questions about Summoner's pets

I didn't find any informations about how a Summoners gain their pets. Is it predetermined, or collectable?
As predetermined has a bigger chance i start with the other options. I understand the augment system.

Collectable: Let's say if i can travel around the world and make pacts with the creatures (after lvl25 and chosen second class, based on that type), and can summon them, would give a huge diversity for Summoners. I understand it would be a big project for the development team, as the potentioal combinations of choosen creatures with augment types would be a good deal.
Predetermined: You unlock pets after reaching a determined lvl or you gain them from quests or let's say the type and development of the Node and religion would unlock some. The augment system still will give a good diversity for this option too.

If it's a predetermined, i have an other question. I see the game try to give a big focus to sailing, and see battles, Under water dungeons etc... In a sea warfare, a cat or bear summon do almost nothing (standing on board of a ship), or just simply destroy the fantasy of it (making them move in water, like they can breath under it). My question is: Will there be Aquatic summoner options, or augments, making your summons aquatic?

Comments

• Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    We have very little info on the summoner right now sadly (not with the lack of trying mind you) so its hard to say
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    ZambarZambar Member
    What do you guys think about aquatic type summons. Is it necessary? What about the collectable/predetermined type of summons? I'm curious what you think based on what we know about the augment system so far.
  • Options
    nidriksnidriks Member, Warrior of Old, Kickstarter
    Well I believe they announced an underwater pet in Kickstarter, so I am sure underwater pets could be possible.

As was said, though, I believe there is very little information on summoners to date.
  • Options
    Zambar wrote: »
    I didn't find any informations about how a Summoners gain their pets. Is it predetermined, or collectable?
    As predetermined has a bigger chance i start with the other options. I understand the augment system.

Collectable: Let's say if i can travel around the world and make pacts with the creatures (after lvl25 and chosen second class, based on that type), and can summon them, would give a huge diversity for Summoners. I understand it would be a big project for the development team, as the potentioal combinations of choosen creatures with augment types would be a good deal.
    Predetermined: You unlock pets after reaching a determined lvl or you gain them from quests or let's say the type and development of the Node and religion would unlock some. The augment system still will give a good diversity for this option too.

If it's a predetermined, i have an other question. I see the game try to give a big focus to sailing, and see battles, Under water dungeons etc... In a sea warfare, a cat or bear summon do almost nothing (standing on board of a ship), or just simply destroy the fantasy of it (making them move in water, like they can breath under it). My question is: Will there be Aquatic summoner options, or augments, making your summons aquatic?

Watch Steven's most recent AMA. He talked about necromancer (summoner+cleric). That should give you an idea.
  • Options
    ZambarZambar Member
    I saw that, but i was curious about the opinion of others on the forum. nvm.
  • Options
    FrostduckFrostduck Member
    edited July 2020
    We have very few informations about summoners.

But from the intervews Steven gave, talks content creators had and games Steven loves and is inspired by its EXTREMELY unlikely that collecting/taming/binding summons will occur. And if it does, more like cosmetic. This is, however, only my own conclusion based on what we have, and what we have is almost nothing.

i honestly WISH it would be collectible, i hope it was like wow hunter or warlock but with bigger impact and as much effort, but balancing that crap would be insanely difficult and if it does occur, you would HAVE to get into a good guild to get it done, so it has many pros and cons.
  • Options
    I know they talked about Necromancer having trinity-based minions (ie. tank, healer/support, dps) but I want to have curses if possible and good dps minions! After all as far as the primary archetype goes summoner is dps. :)
    "Magic is not a tool, little one. It is a river that unites us in its current."

I heard a bird ♫
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Valento92 wrote: »
    I know they talked about Necromancer having trinity-based minions (ie. tank, healer/support, dps) but I want to have curses if possible and good dps minions! After all as far as the primary archetype goes summoner is dps. :)

I dont see a world in which summoner ONLY summons. I bet they will have summon healing/buffing abilities as well. It's simply a matter of slotting cleric Death school augument into these to turn them into dots and curses and i doubt Intrepid would overlook that. I mean its rly obvious.

Also keep in mind that not all summoning abilities, even core ones, will be pets. There have already been mentions of summoners 'summoning effects". That might also be what you want.
  • Options
    Frostduck wrote: »
    Also keep in mind that not all summoning abilities, even core ones, will be pets. There have already been mentions of summoners 'summoning effects". That might also be what you want.

Yeah man, can't wait to see how these summoned weapons will work! It's going to be awesome.

I heard a bird ♫
  • Options
    Valento92 wrote: »

Yeah man, can't wait to see how these summoned weapons will work! It's going to be awesome.

Yea it would be super hype to summon a hammer and watch it chase a mage smacking them on the head. But i bet we would get something like CC swarm of butterflies or some extradimensional chains and shit too. Its all so easy to come up with, they surely will throw us something with fun aesthetic.
  • Options
    I would bet summoners get their pets by putting skill points into their class tree for said summon.

It might be a bit more interesting to put some summon types under quests to unlock them, but if the summoner if highly dependent on the summon that wouldn't be fair in my opinion.

It would be the equivalent of lock other classes 'key' abilities behind quests and only after completing them they can put points into that skill and use it. I'm not sure that is a good idea.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    phdmonster wrote: »
    I would bet summoners get their pets by putting skill points into their class tree for said summon.

It might be a bit more interesting to put some summon types under quests to unlock them, but if the summoner if highly dependent on the summon that wouldn't be fair in my opinion.

It would be the equivalent of lock other classes 'key' abilities behind quests and only after completing them they can put points into that skill and use it. I'm not sure that is a good idea.

Wow did this in classic (removed it later) and it was one of the best design decisions devs ever made there. And yes. It was unfair. But my understanding is that will never in million years happen like it did in WoW. You are supposed to get all skills from leveling. I will still hope because it was such immersive amazing thing in WoW. But i will expect to get Aion summoner instead, just on massive steroids.
  • Options

Wow did this in classic and BC and it was one of the best design decisions devs ever made there. And yes. It was unfair. But my understanding is that will never in million years happen like it did in WoW. You are supposed to get all skills from leveling. I will still hope because it was such immersive amazing thing in WoW. But i will expect to get Aion summoner instead, just on massive steroids.

Sure, it was fun unlocking your pets as a warlock, BUT a warlock that didn't spec into demonology could fair just fine in PvP and PvE because the summon is not their primary source of anything. Summoners in ashes by the difinition given by Intrepid will live and breathe through their summons. It depends to what extent thay holds true, but unless it's like how WoW locks are dependent i don't see it working that well.
  • Options
    I'd love for summons to play a major role for the summoner, but then locking them behind quests isn't fun. Let's hope for the best.

I heard a bird ♫
  • Options

Wow did this in classic and BC and it was one of the best design decisions devs ever made there. And yes. It was unfair. But my understanding is that will never in million years happen like it did in WoW. You are supposed to get all skills from leveling. I will still hope because it was such immersive amazing thing in WoW. But i will expect to get Aion summoner instead, just on massive steroids.

Sure, it was fun unlocking your pets as a warlock, BUT a warlock that didn't spec into demonology could fair just fine in PvP and PvE because the summon is not their primary source of anything. Summoners in ashes by the difinition given by Intrepid will live and breathe through their summons. It depends to what extent thay holds true, but unless it's like how WoW locks are dependent i don't see it working that well.

Yea, it certainly has its own problems. But you can work around that as well. Mainly with the gear slot. If say standard summoner has Summon: Tank ability, you could do WoW warlock like questline for either special talisman slot just for summoners or for ring slot or w/e that turns whatever your main tank is into fuckall demonic infernal and shit. Just to keep that story flavour.
  • Options
    I would like to see all summoners have the ability to go out into the world and collect summons in regards to the cosmetics of the summon. Like a necromancer has initially a bone skeleton with no armor or weapons and you can go out and find one that does, or perhaps even just a bone spdier and collect summon. Still the same summon spell but you can decide which cosmetic to use. Also I like the idea of mini talent trees within each summon spell type. Imagine if you as a necromancer or any other summoner have the ability to summon a creature where you can dictate which class the summon can become (fighter, cleric, rogue, etc)