Load out / Gear swap question

OenwulfOenwulf Member
edited July 2020 in General Discussion
A few questions about the design philosophy regarding how you envision players preparing for both pvp and pve as it seems you are encouraging world pvp around open world bosses and events.

1. Are you planning to implement a pvp stat so players will collect multiple gear sets?
2. Will there be load out swapping like with a second augment spec and saved hotbar configuration? Will it be on the fly between combat or semi-permanent?
3. If a hardcore pvp’er joins a dungeon group, without changing their gear or load out, roughly how much of a power difference would you expect between them and a pve specced character of the same class with equivalent pve gear?

Comments

• WMC51WMC51 Member
    I really hate separate pvp / pve gear. Now wanting to use something with more crit over more sustained damage is fine as it's a preference but dedicated pvp and pve gear just separates the player base.
  • SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    The game is PvX. Beyond personal choice of what gear you want to degrade in a given circumstance, there should be no difference between PvE equipment and PvP equipment.

One would hope you'd need different types of armour for the Raids but I don't know enough about the Raids to confirm or deny if specific sets will be required...
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • I hope they don't allow you to hotswap gear and augments. Just my opinion, but the easier it is for me to change builds the less connected I feel to my character. He starts feeling less like a character and more like a tool for me to use to accomplish a goal. Diminishes the immersion.

• WMC51WMC51 Member
    edited July 2020
    Armor cannot be changed in combat. Weapons can with a cooldown.

Unless you were just talking about swapping sets in general with a saved loadout.
  • XraelXrael Member
    edited July 2020
    I hope they don't allow you to hotswap gear and augments. Just my opinion, but the easier it is for me to change builds the less connected I feel to my character. He starts feeling less like a character and more like a tool for me to use to accomplish a goal. Diminishes the immersion.

I feel like a certain level of freedom is required when it comes to being able to hotswap your gear and augments for your skills. I don't think that these two should be restricted at all, as players should be able to adapt their characters to any scenario. However, players shouldn't be able to change either of these in combat. That is the only restriction I would want.

You shouldn't always favor immersion in a game. Its important that you find the right balance between immersion and complete player freedom.
  • daxiongmao87daxiongmao87 Member
    edited July 2020
    I hope they don't allow you to hotswap gear and augments. Just my opinion, but the easier it is for me to change builds the less connected I feel to my character. He starts feeling less like a character and more like a tool for me to use to accomplish a goal. Diminishes the immersion.
    You shouldn't always favor immersion in a game. Its important that you find the right balance between immersion and complete player freedom.

I can agree to this. I just don't think hot swapping is a necessity. And I very much dislike spec/augment swapping. The easier you make it to switch up your specialization the less impact your choices make. You also diminish the identity of your character, which is important for a lot of people, and has been a problem for a lot of games.

Let's take diablo 3 for example. The game allowed you to swap out skills freely out of combat. This greatly diminished the impact made when deciding on how to specialize your character. Removing the importance of those decisions was a problem for a lot of players, specially those coming from diablo 2. Granted it was one of many problems, but it is an argument you hear all the time.

I very much understand gameplay vs realism, but I also understand too much convenience waters down gameplay as well.
  • mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One

I feel like a certain level of freedom is required when it comes to being able to hotswap your gear and augments for your skills. I don't think that these two should be restricted at all, as players should be able to adapt their characters to any scenario. However, players shouldn't be able to change either of these in combat. That is the only restriction I would want.

I don't think players should be expected to change there build for each encounter. I've never found that compelling and just feels like a bunch of work that undermines the whole purpose of being able to create a build in the first place. Not only that but it means the devs will most likely want to restrict options to reign this in.

If you want to be able to adapt to situations, you should create well-rounded builds that allow you to do so. Only having to consider what you need for one fight doesn't take a lot of thought.

I guess my question is, why do you enjoy it?
  • phdmonsterphdmonster Member
    edited July 2020
    Oenwulf wrote: »
    A few questions about the design philosophy regarding how you envision players preparing for both pvp and pve as it seems you are encouraging world pvp around open world bosses and events.

1. Are you planning to implement a pvp stat so players will collect multiple gear sets?
    2. Will there be load out swapping like with a second augment spec and saved hotbar configuration? Will it be on the fly between combat or semi-permanent?
    3. If a hardcore pvp’er joins a dungeon group, without changing their gear or load out, roughly how much of a power difference would you expect between them and a pve specced character of the same class with equivalent pve gear?

1. There will be no separation between PvP and PvE gear. The only way to get PvE or PvP specific bonuses addutionally to the gear's stats is to put some sort of gems on them (like sockets in WoW, but gives player damage mitigation or monster damage mitigation as an example)
    2. You will be able to swap weapon sets during combat with a cooldown. Augments can be swapped once you respec your skill and change the augment. It's not on the fly - that is a terrible design idea.
    3. No power difference all things being equal because there is no PvP and PvE gear unless you find some special sockets to put on your gear. There are no PvP or PvE class specs.

The thing you will be able to change is your gear. Some gear will be better suited for physical encounters, other will be more suited for magic encounters and so on and so forth.
  • I’m curious as to where they are going to land on the spectrum of choice permanence (or player identity). The more I am allowed to change my character at will the less identity my character has for me, but in a PvX game there is going to have to be a balance between allowing players to change their characters to suit the situation and just giving them all the tools they need all the time.
  • mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Oenwulf wrote: »
    ...but in a PvX game there is going to have to be a balance between allowing players to change their characters to suit the situation and just giving them all the tools they need all the time.

They will balance PvE around whatever they choose. If they allow people to easily change, then they will balance PvE with that in mind and tune mobs up because they expect players to have more optimal builds for each fight and vice versa.

It's more of a question of what should the players be expected to do as well as the other questions that come with that.