The Biggest Take Away AOC Can Take From ESO

Cold 0ne FTBCold 0ne FTB Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
For those of you not familiar with the state of ESO atm the game has reached a point in which combat in pvp zones puts too much load on the servers. This has led to rampant issues of lag, latency, health Desyncs and people DCing during combat. These issues have gotten so bad that the Devs have decided to initiate a series of testing on live servers in order to determine if there is a way to alter combat so that they can better optimize the server load. This server load is the result of a few things: an over-bloated percentage modifier leveling system, the group size cap being set to 24 players, a general increase magic and stamina resource recovery which in turn has lead to greater frequency of AOE ability usage, the layering of multiple instances of the same the HOT (from different casters) on one target and the game's use of smart healing. These systems are all fundamental components of the ESO combat and were developed either early in the games life or before it was released.

When I see talk of 250 v 250 or 500 v 500 battles my mind is brought back to the game that I currently play and love. It is really easy to get swept up in the creation of grand systems, to balance combat for massive battles, and to provide such a large scope as this game promises but what matters most of all is the functionality and feel of a game. I think that I can speak for most of the community in saying that if the Devs provided half of the features they have promised with the intent of producing the rest over the course of several DLCs, we would be more than happy with this game and would continue to throw our money and time at you. Please ensure that the fundamentals work or else the project you have worked so hard on may be doomed. Learn from ESO; you can have the best combat around, a really cool world with amazing lore, probably the single greatest housing system I have ever seen in a game and still fall short because of a few poor design choices you made when you first started to develop combat.
ZxbhjES.gif

That is not dead which can eternal lie. And with strange aeons even death may die.

Comments

• CaerylCaeryl Member
    ESO was built on the Hero engine (at the very least jerryrigged from the Hero engine code), and it’s anti bot software is so poorly implemented it caused an immediate negative affect on the game when it was implemented. ESO also uses Akani, which is notoriously awful for connection and ping, especially for the EU players. ESO is not reliable when run with Steam, problems on ESO’s end but they always act as though it’s some issue with Steam.

TL;DR: ESO was developed on a bad engine and the technical expertise of their current development team is woefully ill-equipped to deal with the problems that house has when it’s built on a gravel foundation and wired with uninsulated cords.
  • Cold 0ne FTBCold 0ne FTB Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Caeryl wrote: »
    ESO was built on the Hero engine (at the very least jerryrigged from the Hero engine code), and it’s anti bot software is so poorly implemented it caused an immediate negative affect on the game when it was implemented. ESO also uses Akani, which is notoriously awful for connection and ping, especially for the EU players. ESO is not reliable when run with Steam, problems on ESO’s end but they always act as though it’s some issue with Steam.

TL;DR: ESO was developed on a bad engine and the technical expertise of their current development team is woefully ill-equipped to deal with the problems that house has when it’s built on a gravel foundation and wired with uninsulated cords.

You aren't wrong but other projects in the past have left me jaded. As somebody whose latest MMO experience is dealing with this, I have learned to value performance more than features.
    ZxbhjES.gif

That is not dead which can eternal lie. And with strange aeons even death may die.
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Big PvP will be tested soon. We are going to have siege and horde battles which will be large scale. They will see if their servers and engine can handle it then.

When APOC had its first implementation (the Battle Royale) they discovered server issues and that caused delays. But that allowed them to fix them. They will probably have setbacks in the next series of tests, but again they’ll have a chance to fix them now very early in Alpha and not years later after release when you are losing customers and looking like a failure.

Hhak63P.png
  • Wandering MistWandering Mist Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    If it were only in large open world PvP zones I would understand but I was in a delve earlier today and encountered horrendous performance too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lp_IhMPdQSI
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • XraelXrael Member
    edited July 2020
    For those of you not familiar with the state of ESO atm the game has reached a point in which combat in pvp zones puts too much load on the servers. This has led to rampant issues of lag, latency, health Desyncs and people DCing during combat. These issues have gotten so bad that the Devs have decided to initiate a series of testing on live servers in order to determine if there is a way to alter combat so that they can better optimize the server load. This server load is the result of a few things: an over-bloated percentage modifier leveling system, the group size cap being set to 24 players, a general increase magic and stamina resource recovery which in turn has lead to greater frequency of AOE ability usage, the layering of multiple instances of the same the HOT (from different casters) on one target and the game's use of smart healing. These systems are all fundamental components of the ESO combat and were developed either early in the games life or before it was released.

When I see talk of 250 v 250 or 500 v 500 battles my mind is brought back to the game that I currently play and love. It is really easy to get swept up in the creation of grand systems, to balance combat for massive battles, and to provide such a large scope as this game promises but what matters most of all is the functionality and feel of a game. I think that I can speak for most of the community in saying that if the Devs provided half of the features they have promised with the intent of producing the rest over the course of several DLCs, we would be more than happy with this game and would continue to throw our money and time at you. Please ensure that the fundamentals work or else the project you have worked so hard on may be doomed. Learn from ESO; you can have the best combat around, a really cool world with amazing lore, probably the single greatest housing system I have ever seen in a game and still fall short because of a few poor design choices you made when you first started to develop combat.

The combat in ESO is pretty bad. Its all about who can animation cancel the best. Thats why a lot of people hate ESO. If you like ESO combat, that's cool. But know that you're in the minority.
  • Cold 0ne FTBCold 0ne FTB Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

The combat in ESO is pretty bad. Its all about who can animation cancel the best. Thats why a lot of people hate ESO. If you like ESO combat, that's cool. But know that you're in the minority.

Seeing as it is the third largest MMO at this point in time you would be wrong in that statement. The combat in the game is fast pace and hard to learn. I can see why people might not like but I am not in a minority.
    ZxbhjES.gif

• AsuraAsura Member
    leave the system architecture to the computer scientists