BNS inspired combat

i've watched a lot of interviews and i haven't seen it getting mentioned so i will just ask here. I'm a Blade and Soul player and combat in there for me is just the best. I've played a lot of MMO's and imo no other MMO has this much skill based combat in the game. Have you guys ever thought about this type of combat? i've always wondered why no MMO ever copied the combat.

i've asked this in the discord and was told to maybe make a post about it on the forums so here i am.

Comments

• Drag13Drag13 Member
    I had to watch a few videos and read some articles to get better base knowledge about this subject, but I think this video hits the more relevant key points https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sIgCD1f5x0.

The area where I am most afraid this game will fall short is it's combat. It's important to also recognize that the game is still in pre-alpha stages, and the developers are still taking feedback for this topic.

After watching the combat footage from the older Apocalypse gameplay, and the more recent "Pre-Alpha 4K GM Gameplay" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkwaYLOuw2s, It's easy to see the changes made over the years. Just watching the more recent footage you see a heavy use of the tab target system. Personally this is not my favorite system, but it's to soon for me to judge. In the recent 4k video you can see that the characters are only level ten, which leaves plenty of room for skill acquisition. In multiple interviews Steven Sharif explained combat will require a minimum 25% tab target skills on the hotbar with the other 75% action combat skills (Or the reverse 75% tab skills and 25% action skills). This sounds very appealing to me with the current knowledge of combat and skills.

Onto your main comment "Have you guys ever thought about this type of combat(Blade & Soul)? i've always wondered why no MMO ever copied the combat." I'm sure they have thought about that type of combat :smile:! I assume the main issue is because of class variation in the game. Blade & Soul focuses on martial arts and chaining combos based on positioning, being knocked down, being knocked in the air, etc. Ashes of Creation's Archetypes vary between melee fighters, ranged fighters, spell casters, summoners, and supports. More complicating, the archetypes will be further altered by the secondary archetype chosen at level 25 (I think). As cool as it would be to have a B&S combat system, trying to include each archetype and their own variations of visceral combat chains and unique abilities while maintaining the class trinity would be... difficult.

As a final note, I don't think we shouldn't aim for the best combat we can while Intrepid is hard at work developing the game. When more topics about combat arise, and more is revealed about skills and augments, really try to give good input about how you would like combat in the game.

POST HARD MY FRIEND!

P.S.
    I hope this was helpful!
  • YasinBakhYasinBakh Member
    edited July 2020
    @Drag13 Woah i couldn't have asked for a better comment on this. first of all thank you!
    Drag13 wrote: »
    The area where I am most afraid this game will fall short is it's combat. It's important to also recognize that the game is still in pre-alpha stages, and the developers are still taking feedback for this topic.

i totally agree with you on this. When i hear the interviews and hear what they are planning to do. I dont have much worries or doubts about the things they have mentioned that might not turn out good after all. It's mostly combat that im worried about. All my friends who i've told about this game i all told them the same thing. "I just hope the combat will be great". my goal is also to reach the staff with this post since it's so important to me that the combat is enjoyable for me and other players that might rely on a company's decision about combat to be heavily interested in a game or not.

I'm very deeply invested in Blade and Soul especially the pvp and it's esports and know a lot of people in the community aswell. I think it's safe to say for me that even though the game is overall HORRIBLY managed (Blade and Soul) regarding netcode issues, all sorts of performance issues, balancing issues. i can name so many things, but most people still stay for it's combat including me.

Drag13 wrote: »
    Onto your main comment "Have you guys ever thought about this type of combat(Blade & Soul)? i've always wondered why no MMO ever copied the combat." I'm sure they have thought about that type of combat :smile:! I assume the main issue is because of class variation in the game. Blade & Soul focuses on martial arts and chaining combos based on positioning, being knocked down, being knocked in the air, etc. Ashes of Creation's Archetypes vary between melee fighters, ranged fighters, spell casters, summoners, and supports. More complicating, the archetypes will be further altered by the secondary archetype chosen at level 25 (I think). As cool as it would be to have a B&S combat system, trying to include each archetype and their own variations of visceral combat chains and unique abilities while maintaining the class trinity would be... difficult.

As a final note, I don't think we shouldn't aim for the best combat we can while Intrepid is hard at work developing the game. When more topics about combat arise, and more is revealed about skills and augments, really try to give good input about how you would like combat in the game.

Now with this part i do understand your point and i would agree if we were talking about early Blade and Soul days (2016). However i would have to say with the current game and some of it's classes having third specs (a newer spec they release every couple months or so for the remaining of the classes that don't have one yet. When for most classes they only have 2 specs being pretty similar to eachother but still different and the 3rd spec usually being something way different. explained this if you are not familiar with it).

From my point of view it is possiblel ofcourse difficult, but so worth it. Why i'm saying so? Blade and Soul currently has all these classes and specs; which are all so different from eachother a lot of them being the ones u mentioned. And still pulls of to have in my opinion the best combat system in an MMO. Blade masters that are obviously melee fighters which their third spec makes their skills consist of 50% being ranged. With all the classes and specs they released i don't think Blade & Soul is an original martial arts focussed MMO anymore. like my example stated just now. A traditional blade master being ofcourse melee and slashing opponents close to being half ranged for example. Or the new class that uses space and galaxy oriented attacks which came out in Korea recently. to come to an end. My point is after all these examples. With bns having 12 classes (in EU/NA) and all of them having 2 specs mostly and 5 of them having their third specs i think with how different the third specs are being made. it's safely to compare them to sub-archetypes in AOC (i'm sorry if i phrased it wrong i'm not that familiar with all the names yet hehe). So with that being said i think with all the great ideas they have for the game. Having a combat inspired by a game that; in my opinion and many other's opinions has one of the best, fun and skill based combat system in any MMO. Would be a great addition to it.

To be completely honest. All i wish for is to be able to play an MMO with such combat that is actually being managed by a company that cares. That is why i am so excited for this and hope i can bring in some ideas for it maybe to happen.

Thank you again for ur great reply i appreciate it!