Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Rogue/Ranger - Sniper

If Ranger/Rogue is Scout it seems more in theme for Rogue/Ranger to be Sniper (stealth & range)

Comments

• Options
    WiplasherWiplasher Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty
    Sniper doesn't really fit with the naming theme. While assassin does perfectly and an assassin can be a sniper.
  • Options
    would seem a rogue/ranger would have more offensive stealth range abilities than a rogue/rogue

ranger/ranger - hawkeye
    ranger/rogue - scout
    rogue/ranger - sniper
    rogue/rogue - assassin

seems a more logical flow than
    ranger/ranger - hawkeye
    ranger/rogue - scout
    rogue/ranger - predator
    rogue/rogue - assassin

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    The problem there is that a sniper would suggest that the class is only ranged, whereas preditor would suggest that the class has both ranged and non-ranged abilities.

If Intrepid are intending the class to be completely ranged, then Sniper may well fit better.

However, since they called it Preditor, I would assume there is a mix of ranged and non-ranged attacks, which would make the name suit better.

This is the problem with thinking we have a better name for a class when we haven't seen the class yet.
  • Options
    Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2020
    And this is why I don't like the fact that Intrepid have given a name to every class combination. People get weird expectations into their heads that are no way representative of the finished product. It will only lead to disappointment later on down the line.

Forget the names, they won't be used in-game anyway because it's easier and faster to use a shorthand, for example:

ranger/ranger = ra/ra
    ranger/rogue = ra/r

cleric/tank = c/t
    bard/summoner = b/s

etc etc. I guarantee these shorthands will be used far more than the official names, not to mention they are easier to understand in the context of the game mechanics.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    delghinndelghinn Member
    edited July 2020
    noaani wrote: »
    The problem there is that a sniper would suggest that the class is only ranged, whereas preditor would suggest that the class has both ranged and non-ranged abilities.

If Intrepid are intending the class to be completely ranged, then Sniper may well fit better.

However, since they called it Preditor, I would assume there is a mix of ranged and non-ranged attacks, which would make the name suit better.

This is the problem with thinking we have a better name for a class when we haven't seen the class yet.

are rangers in aoc purely ranged? the archetype is based on Strider which was more melee than ranged. However typically most games will primary the ranged abilities, secondary the melee, and flavor in tracking and sometimes some survival / solo abilities.
  • Options
    LfmrLfmr Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    delghinn wrote: »
    noaani wrote: »

are rangers in aoc purely ranged? the archetype is based on Strider which was more melee than ranged. However typically most games will primary the ranged abilities, secondary the melee, and flavor in tracking and sometimes some survival / solo abilities.

I believe that Ranger has been described as a sort of dancer, where they need to weave in between various ranges, including melee range.