Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Question about bounty hunting/corruption

FrostduckFrostduck Member
edited July 2020 in General Discussion
I suck at pvp, im terrible at it, and i generally try to leave people alone. But since Ashes is going to be a fresh game, fresh start, i might be looking into murdering some people for fun. Which is why server sanctioned player hunting does catch my attention, and frankly so does corruption system.

So my question is this. Please be aware i ask this while fully aware that corruption mechanic is, effectively, a punishment and is supposed to be deterrant from griefing. Good? Good.

Will there be any BENEFITS for corrupted players that go beyond getting loot/satisfaction/farming spot? Because i think there should be. Hear me out.

I get that being corrupted is not supposed to be good, but there is no reason whatsoever not to make it fun.
Since bount hunter vs corrupted is supposed to be one of the quasi faction war, will there be any positives for winning, other than you get to keep the exp? I personally think that there can be good fun and prestige comming from besting corrupted players as well as bounty hunters. And when you say prestige, you think titles. I heard that titles give stats in this game, not sure if that's true, but it doesnt need to be anything big. Just a flex edgy boy titles for taking down x hunters before dying, or surviving that long in the wild, could be about as cool as alternatives for Bounty Hunters. Now tangible rewads like enchantments thats probably too much.

Is there any plan like that in motion? And if not, would it be too much to ask to reconsider? What do you guys think.

Comments

  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited July 2020
    Frostduck wrote: »
    Ibut there is no reason whatsoever not to make it fun.
    The problem with this is that being corrupted requires two players, and in this case, making it more fun for one makes it a lot less fun for the other.

    When you give players a reason to want corruption, you give them a reason to kill people that would rather do other things.
  • noaani wrote: »
    Frostduck wrote: »
    Ibut there is no reason whatsoever not to make it fun.
    The problem with this is that being corrupted requires two players, and in this case, making it more fun for one makes it a lot less fun for the other.

    But they are already corrupted, someone already was murdered. System is already in place. Having fun with it then is natural outcome. If the real intent was to hard punish people theyd be banned, not have entire node type mechanic devoted to a cat and mouse game. Might as well make it fun for them to play. Especially since not all corrupted people will be bad people or harassers.
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Frostduck wrote: »
    noaani wrote: »
    Frostduck wrote: »
    Ibut there is no reason whatsoever not to make it fun.
    The problem with this is that being corrupted requires two players, and in this case, making it more fun for one makes it a lot less fun for the other.

    But they are already corrupted, someone already was murdered. System is already in place. Having fun with it then is natural outcome. If the real intent was to hard punish people theyd be banned, not have entire node type mechanic devoted to a cat and mouse game. Might as well make it fun for them to play. Especially since not all corrupted people will be bad people or harassers.

    See the edit to that post that it seems I put up while you were typing your reply.
  • mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Yea, they have said they don't want to give people an incentive to just get corruption. You kind of said it, corruption itself is purely there as a punishment.

    If they added any incentive, they would be encouraging people to kill others for no other reason besides getting that benefit which is something that don't want to do.
  • noaani wrote: »
    Frostduck wrote: »
    noaani wrote: »
    Frostduck wrote: »
    Ibut there is no reason whatsoever not to make it fun.
    The problem with this is that being corrupted requires two players, and in this case, making it more fun for one makes it a lot less fun for the other.

    But they are already corrupted, someone already was murdered. System is already in place. Having fun with it then is natural outcome. If the real intent was to hard punish people theyd be banned, not have entire node type mechanic devoted to a cat and mouse game. Might as well make it fun for them to play. Especially since not all corrupted people will be bad people or harassers.

    See the edit to that post that it seems I put up while you were typing your reply.

    I see your point and i agree, but if the incentive is something like a flex title, it probably wont be an issue. I dont actually want to see them benefit from the system as much as bounty hunters do. I just think skill in game should be recognized, and hey if someone is mad enough to go for that for completionist reasons, they wont make trouble for average player. If they do, maybe theyll nuke two newbies and move on with enough corruption to be put on radar.
Sign In or Register to comment.