Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Non combatant attacks corrupted ( Flaw in the System)

Comments

• Song_WardenSong_Warden Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited July 2020
    The solution isn't to make yourself weak in the first place. Who in their right mind goes 'Well I want to one shot a Level 1 and feel awesome!' oh shit, 'Now I can be ganked by people ten levels lower than me, I feel like shit.'

The system is in place to give meaningful PvP, and some lower level will get a rush out of killing a Corrupted Player (We used to make Twinks on the PvP Servers and gank higher levels). You are complaining about a system design to punish but you can refrain from entering the system in the first place.

There are few logical reasons to PK or Gank in the first place, everyone has a different reason, but to PK and then complain of the punishment is insane. You aren't being led down a blind path, you are fully aware of the current system and as such, should play in the systems and give feedback from the current iterations, not ask for lighter Corruption because you personally want to PK a Ninja Looter while Jim-Bob just wants to mass gank PvE players.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • King FoolKing Fool Member
    edited July 2020
    noaani wrote: »
    King Fool wrote: »
    A death penalty should be avoidable in a general sense
    It is.

Yes it's decided by the RNG of running into greens. And that's my problem.

No it isn't.

There are two other ways that have been talked about of getting rid of corruption.

Questing was cancelled so it's grinding right? What if a green shows up while you grind and he attacks you, or even on the way to grind corruption away? And now ur fkd with this current part of the system. Because every green will attack you, even if he's 20lvl lower than you... Aaand you aren't allowed to fight back
  • KhanaKhana Member
    Neurath wrote: »
    All I've played is PvP Servers and RP-PvP Servers. It isn't true it would be a giant brawl and I'll tell you why, because, the game has no PvP Experience and no PvP Armour to get. PvP Servers are quite functional places, you don't fuck with the Biggest Guilds, you don't fuck with the Biggest Alliances and you certainly only get Res Camped if you are a Ninja Looter or some doosh bag.

From my experience in Aion, there is no need for a reward to attack other people. Sure, the game is faction based and you get "abyss points"' from kills, but at some point, you have so many of those abyss points that you don't even know what to do with them yet people still go out there to kill everyone they come across without any specific reason, just because they can and want to. Now it is balanced by the fact that since there is 2 factions you can only kill the opposite faction, I have a hard time to imagine how a server, with the possibility to kill anyone and everyone without any penalty ever, can function.
    So I might be biased on this point.
  • EpicJuneEpicJune Member
    edited July 2020
    If it comes to big beef, I'd just Guild War my foes and kill them wherever I see them with no flags. I wouldn't even risk Corruption, because, Corruption means you will be getting Beef from Bounty Hunters, higher levelled Greens and anyone who just fancies a real Gank against an incapacitated foe.

You are taking the stance that you will be Red, but, to become Red you have to kill a Green. If you only kill Purples you will never become Red...I don't understand your static position. There are better ways to level scores (Caravan Raids, Naval Raids, Guild Wars) and such avenues are more appealing to me anyway.

I'm not one to kill lower levels, I prefer a challenge in a fight. Furthermore, due to Hard Counters, some players will only attack what they are a Hard Counter to.

I think that's the point some are missing. players don't become red for no reason, there was a reason you became corrupted. There was a choice they made as a player to become corrupted, and now they're facing the risks of that. As I said before, they can't ask for a fair fight when the tables are turned, when they were never looking for a fair fight, to begin with.

To those bringing up ninja looters or harassing players, the best solution for is getting them blacklisted, make it so people know who they are and avoid them, make it so they're exiled and can;t take part in any group content. That's how it works in very community-driven mmos and has done in the past and till today.
  • Neurath wrote: »
    The solution isn't to make yourself weak in the first place. Who in their right mind goes 'Well I want to one shot a Level 1 and feel awesome!' oh shit, 'Now I can be ganked by people ten levels lower than me, I feel like shit.'

The system is in place to give meaningful PvP, and some lower level will get a rush out of killing a Corrupted Player (We used to make Twinks on the PvP Servers and gank higher levels). You are complaining about a system design to punish but you can refrain from entering the system in the first place.

There are few logical reasons to PK or Gank in the first place, everyone has a different reason, but to PK and then complain of the punishment is insane. You aren't being led down a blind path, you are fully aware of the current system and as such, should play in the systems and give feedback from the current iterations, not ask for lighter Corruption because you personally want to PK a Ninja Looter while Jim-Bob just wants to mass gank PvE players.

We aren't saying we shouldn't be punished you could even do 10x times death penalty IDC. But allowing 98% of server pop to attack you and you aren't allowed to fight back is dumb
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited July 2020
    It is.

No it isn't.

There are two other ways that have been talked about of getting rid of corruption.

Questing was cancelled so it's grinding right? What if a green shows up while you grind and he attacks you, or even on the way to grind corruption away? And now ur fkd with this current part of the system. Because every green will attack you, even if he's 20lvl lower than you... Aaand you aren't allowed to fight back

You should have killed the player that caused you to gain corruption further away from others.

Again, if you chose to kill a player in a high traffic area, that's your call.

More decisions to make!

And again, you are allowed to fight back, that just means more corruption, which means more experience gain needed.

Even more decisions still!
    edited July 2020
    It is.

No it isn't.

You should have killed the player that caused you to gain corruption further away from others.

More decisions to make!

And again, you are allowed to fight back, that just means more corruption, which means more experience gain needed.

It's literally any green, not the guy who was killed by you. It's 98% of server population at any time.
  • KhanaKhana Member
    edited July 2020
    EpicJune wrote: »
    To those bringing up ninja looters or harassing players, the best solution for is getting them blacklisted, make it so people know who they are and avoid them, make it so they're exiled and can;t take part in any group content. That's how it works in very community-driven mmos
    If you can't even stand up for yourself and you have to "rely" on the community to exile that guy for him to face any consequence at all, that's where the system is f*cked up.
    If someone messes with you, the system shouldn't be so punitive that you don't even dare to touch him. It should be prohibitive just enough for you to not kill people without a good reason.
  • Song_WardenSong_Warden Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    We aren't saying we shouldn't be punished you could even do 10x times death penalty IDC. But allowing 98% of server pop to attack you and you aren't allowed to fight back is dumb

You can fight back, what I don't understand is, if you are willing to go corrupted, what would be the problem in getting more corruption? It means you are just a weak PvPer because you're happy to have a Death Penalty but you don't want to have massed enemies.

I mean if you don't want massed enemies, don't be a massed murderer?
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • KhanaKhana Member
    edited July 2020
    You can fight back, what I don't understand is, if you are willing to go corrupted, what would be the problem in getting more corruption?

Again this flawed logic. If you're willing to pay 15$ a month for an mmo subscription, what would be the problem paying 15$ an hour?

No one said anything about having massed enemies, and having massed enemies can happen from just 1 kill, not necessarily from a mass murder, but then again that's not the point, gank me 70vs1 that's fine by me but let me fight back, the problem is the part where you are not allowed to fight back or else you'll screw your character completely.
    edited July 2020

You can fight back, what I don't understand is, if you are willing to go corrupted, what would be the problem in getting more corruption? It means you are just a weak PvPer because you're happy to have a Death Penalty but you don't want to have massed enemies.

You don't have to be a mass murderer you need to kill 1 person for that. To prevent mass murderer there are other corruption based things like loosing gear with % more corruption/ more statdampening.
    Edit: and I see logic behind these. But not in allowing every green to attack you and not being allowed to fight back if the green wants to kill you and not the way around
  • Btw that also destroys the whole concept of bounty hunters.
    edited July 2020
    It is.

No it isn't.

More decisions to make!
    It is.

No it isn't.

More decisions to make!

It's literally any green, not the guy who was killed by you. It's 98% of server population at any time.

The map will be big.

The oft touted situation people bring up where corruption is first earned is the troll player trying to bait you in to attacking them. If the target of this players behavior is able to just walk away and that is the end of it, then this troll is fairly ineffective.

What this troll will likely do, is follow that target of their trolling. Should that target see this is happening, it isn't a stretch to think that player would be able to lure this troll a bit deeper in to the wilderness (which Ashes actually will have, as opposed to almost all other MMO's), and kill them there.

This leaves you in a position where you are likely able to work off that corruption without too much hassle.

Now, people here are trying to say that Ashes is not a game for people that want to PvE unmolested. This is absolutely a true statement.

However, it is also true that this is not a game for people that want to attack others without consequence.

In the same way some players have to either accept that PvP as a part of the game or go somewhere else, players have to accept those consequences as a part of the game or go somewhere else.
  • noaani wrote: »
    It is.

No it isn't.

More decisions to make!
    It is.

No it isn't.

More decisions to make!

The map will be big.

The oft touted situation people bring up where corruption is first earned is the troll player trying to bait you in to attacking them. If the target of this players behavior is able to just walk away and that is the end of it, then this troll is fairly ineffective.

What this troll will likely do, is follow that target of their trolling. Should that target see this is happening, it isn't a stretch to think that player would be able to lure this troll a bit deeper in to the wilderness (which Ashes actually will have, as opposed to almost all other MMO's), and kill them there.

This leaves you in a position where you are likely able to work off that corruption without too much hassle.

Now, people here are trying to say that Ashes is not a game for peopel that want to PvE unmolested. This is absolutely a true statement.

However, it is also true that this is not a game for people that want to attak others without consequence.

In the same way some players have to either accept that PvP as a part of the game or go somewhere else, players have to accept those consequences as a part of the game or go somewhere else.

How the hell do you even remotely think we want to attack ppl without consequences??? I literally said give me 10x death penalty IDC. That is not even remotely the point.
    How the hell do you even remotely think we want to attack ppl without consequences??? I literally said give me 10x death penalty IDC. That is not even remotely the point.
    The point I am making is - if you want to avoid a situation where you are corrupted and a green is able to attack you, there is an entire tree of decisions you have made to get you in to a position where that was even possible, and every fork on that tree has branches that would make it so you would not be in that situation.

Basically, if that happens to you, it's your own damn fault.
  • KhanaKhana Member
    Now, people here are trying to say that Ashes is not a game for peopel that want to PvE unmolested. This is absolutely a true statement.

However, it is also true that this is not a game for people that want to attak others without consequence.

Except if the consequences are too severe and unavoidable there won't be any PK at all, effectively granting what pve heroes wanted in the first place, doing "PvE unmolested".
    It's like saying, you can slap that guy if you have a problem with him, but if you do so, you will be beheaded. Well, no one will do it, the choice doesn't really exist no matter how much you say it does.
    edited July 2020
    The point I am making is - if you want to avoid a situation where you are corrupted and a green is able to attack you, there is an entire tree of decisions you have made to get you in to a position where that was even possible, and every fork on that tree has branches that would make it so you would not be in that situation.

There is not an entire tree, it's 1 pk
    edited July 2020

And even if, it doesn't in the furthest way possible reason why after green attacks red shouldn't be allowed to DEFEND
    Khana wrote: »

Except if the consequences are too severe and unavoidable there won't be any PK at all, effectively granting what pve heroes wanted in the first place, doing "PvE unmolested".
    This comes back to me now asking you these three questions;

How much corruption will you gain for killing an equal level player?
    How much stat loss does that amount of corruption equate to?
    How much corruption do you need before you start to lose items when killed?

You can't complain about balance of the system unless you can answer these three questions.

It's if you attack the player, it's where you attack the player, it's if you walk away.

If you do attack the player, it is if you carry on killing them when they don't fight back. it's how quickly you go about working off that corruption.

Since some of those questions have more than two possible answers, each of which can lead to other questions, there is a whole tree of decisions in there.
    Khana wrote: »

This comes back to me now asking you these three questions;

You can't complain about balance of the system unless you can answer these three questions.

It does not come back to that point. It's just you have no arguments to argue the system in your defense so you try to argue numbers

It's if you attack the player, it's where you attack the player, it's if you walk away.

If you do attack the player, it is if you carry on killing them when they don't fight back. it's how quickly you go about working off that corruption.

Since some of those questions have more than two possible answers, each of which can lead to other questions, there is a whole tree of decisions in there.

So it's 2 decisions. And still doesn't remotely cover the the point of this conversation
    edited July 2020

And even if, it doesn't in the furthest way possible reason why after green attacks red shouldn't be allowed to DEFEND

Again, you are allowed to attack other greens while corrupted, you are allowed to fight back if they attack you. These are just more decisions that you have to make that are a consequence of previous decisions you ahve made.

Edit; if you mean you can't defend without risk of further penalty, then you are correct, and need to word your points of view better.

Again, you are allowed to attack other greens while corrupted, you are allowed to fight back if they attack you. These are just more decisions that you have to make that are a consequence of previous decisions you ahve made.

So let me translate what you said into other words:

You can fight back and gain more corruption which in turn makes it more likely for more green to show up and in turn fight back for even more corruption to the point where you can start a new account.
    OR get death penalty instantly because why should there be remotely any reason in making a corruption system.

And that is what you want to signup for. Because let's be real, that's the real open world PvP we get.
  • KhanaKhana Member

Irrelevant to the point, we're talking about 1 kill, I don't think you get any significant stat penalties for killing one player unless you kill low lvls in that case you deserve every stat penalties that can applies, those kind of people are disgusting.

Irrelevant to the point, any number of corruption point makes you corrupted, resulting in greens being able to screw you over while you can't do anything about it, and giving you increased death penalty (< this penalty would be fine, if i could fight back people who attack me while i'm grinding off my corruption).

That's a valid question, because even a very small chance to drop gear is a huge concern, but that still doesn't solve the problem of corrupted players not even being able to defend themselves without worsening their corruption.
  • @Khana
    Thanks for the support mate
    edited July 2020

You can fight back and gain more corruption which in turn makes it more likely for more green to show up and in turn fight back for even more corruption to the point where you can start a new account.
    OR get death penalty instantly because why should there be remotely any reason in making a corruption system.

And that is what you want to signup for.

Correct up to that point

Again, you are only in that position because you made a series of decisions that lead to it.

As to
    Because let's be real, that's the real open world PvP we get.
    you are very mistaken.

Caravan PvP and guild/node wars are all open PvP, and will be much more prevelent than corruption based PvP.

One thing I've noticed, people that look at corruption PvP as the only open PvP tend to not want anything other than the ability to attack others at will. They don't want to actually have to fight over anything, they just want to piss off other players.

If you really want to fight over something that is actually worthwhile, hunt down a caravan.

Edit to add; there are also likely to be corruption free areas around the larger world bosses. There will likely be more world PvP involved in just them than there will be in the corruption system.
    edited July 2020

And that is what you want to signup for.

Correct up to that point

Again, you are only in that position because you made a series of decisions that lead to it.

As to
    Because let's be real, that's the real open world PvP we get.
    you are very mistaken.

Caravan PvP and guild/node wars are all open PvP, and will be much more prevelent than corruption based PvP.

One thing I've noticed, people that look at corruption PvP as the only open PvP tend to not want anything other than the ability to attack others at will. They don't want to actually have to fight over anything, they just want to piss off other players.

If you really want to fight over something that is actually worthwhile, hunt down a caravan.

Edit to add; there are also likely to be corruption free areas around the larger world bosses. There will likely be more world PvP involved in just them than there will be in the corruption system.

"Open world pvp" is not dependand on a "pvp zone" just like saying go to the arena
    "Open world pvp" is not dependand on a "pvp zone"
    Sure it does.
    "Open world pvp" is not dependand on a "pvp zone"
    Sure it does.

LOL that's not open world pvp... That's zoned pvp or how ppl usually call it a pvp zone.