Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Curious to the reasoning for predetermined node types across all servers.

Firstly I want to disclose that I love the node system. I love the idea of making the world dynamic, and having each server different. I'm super excited by this feature.

I'm a little bummed that each node is predetermined. Even more so since the layout will be the same across all servers.

It would be cool if each node were determined either by player interaction (limiting any overly populated node types) or weighted randoms (to maintain some balance).

Maybe the way nodes function makes that concept too difficult to pull off, or maybe it doesn't jive with their vision, or maybe it comes with some major balance issues.

Probably was just easier this way and they have so many other features to cover!

Comments

• Options
    WMC51WMC51 Member
    I would like to see them either random or bases on how most the XP was gained somehow.
  • Options
    Random would be nice but I'd be concerned about imbalance
  • Options
    SlumSlum Member
    to be honest, knowing this has made the game alot more realistic for me. Imagine having to premake a metropolis for every note and every type. even like it is right now, they still have to make over a hundered metropolis. even with the same assets needed for almost all of them, its still a shitton of work. But if it would be like you want it, they will have to do 5 times that.

So jeah, it might not be as cool, but its definitly better like its planned.
  • Options
    daxiongmao87daxiongmao87 Member
    edited July 2020
    Yeah I do think it's a choice determined by level of effort. I think also if they were to go about random nodes types, they'd have to do it "cheaply" by not catering each node type design for every location, as you suggested, but reusing a lot of assets to stitch together passable cities to accomplish all the variants.
  • Options
    Balrog21Balrog21 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    A great question for the design team
    Are the set nodes predetermined or are they on a node table?
  • Options
    WMC51WMC51 Member
    I didn't think about the different types of nodes needing different buildings and of each culture. I can see why the type is predetermined if it is.
  • Options
    I assume nodes will ha e predetermined names?
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I assume nodes will ha e predetermined names?
    If a node is developed enough to be run by a player government, that government can give it a name (from a list of names, no Dickville).

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    daxiongmao87daxiongmao87 Member
    edited July 2020
    Nice. What I love about dwarf fortress is that the naming has a modular affix naming system with a list of affixes. Having a list of approved names is awesome too though