BattleNet Friend System

HansrutgerHansrutger Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
Hey wonderful community (who always reads the post before commenting ^^)!

Was wondering if it is possible for Ashes of Creation to have a friend list system that is similar to BattleNet (since they did say they are going to have their own client anyways). The difference from a traditional system, that you have a friend list for each character, is that here you would have one list for each Intrepid account. Note that you should be able to hide what character you currently are online or the standard being able to put yourself offline. This would allow for more interactions for players.

I get that you will add people to discord and so on, but you will eventually find people in the open world that you want to further interact and add them to your friend list and have a way to contact them if they are needed or for them to do the same, rather than just waiting for them to be online on that specific character you added to the friend list.

I also get if this is not added at start of course other things should be prioritized. What do you guys think?
  1. Traditional Friend List (per character)
  2. Friend List per account
  3. Both
  4. Screw friends?

Comments

• WiplasherWiplasher Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty
    They shouldn't do that. That would completely would kill spying on other guilds.
  • NamilNamil Member
    edited July 2020
    wiplasher4 wrote: »
    They shouldn't do that. That would completely would kill spying on other guilds.
    Hansrutger wrote: »
    Note that you should be able to hide what character you currently are online or the standard being able to put yourself offline.

So like, how would this kill spying on guilds?

Edit: This is a good idea, brings players together more easily.
    Namil wrote: »
    Note that you should be able to hide what character you currently are online or the standard being able to put yourself offline.

So like, how would this kill spying on guilds?

Edit: This is a good idea, brings players together more easily.

Guilds would require you to always be showing what character you on for admission into the guild. Yes you could turn it off when you log off and go onto another account but I could see this leading to mistakes. Frankly I like his idea but not for this game.
  • NamilNamil Member
    edited July 2020
    Guilds would require you to always be showing what character you on for admission into the guild. Yes you could turn it off when you log off and go onto another account but I could see this leading to mistakes. Frankly I like his idea but not for this game.

Why would you not implement a good idea for the sake of people making mistakes? Players could always not add other player's to their account friend list and keep it strictly character friends list (Assuming it's similar to how Blizzard do it). And as you said, when you log off your character you can appear offline before logging into your alternate character.

I'm gonna say if someone is spying on a guild they will be more careful than to make a mistake like that.

Namil wrote: »

Why would you not implement a good idea for the sake of people making mistakes? Players could always not add other player's to their account friend list and keep it strictly character friends list (Assuming it's similar to how Blizzard do it). And as you said, when you log off your character you can appear offline before logging into your alternate character.

I'm gonna say if someone is spying on a guild they will be more careful than to make a mistake like that.

Maybe I am in a minority but games that require politics you want alts. You don't want people knowing your alts.

If they add it I won't complain. But in this day in age most of us will have our friends on discord.
  • NamilNamil Member
    I get that you will add people to discord and so on, but you will eventually find people in the open world that you want to further interact and add them to your friend list and have a way to contact them if they are needed or for them to do the same, rather than just waiting for them to be online on that specific character you added to the friend list.

@wiplasher4 Sometimes you just don't want to speak with people over VOIP man.
    @Namil yeah I know. You just DM them though. Maybe I really am in the minority but whenever I'm on my desktop one screen always has discord pulled up so I can respond to chat messages. Discord and Jabber are great for those reasons alone. You can be away and still get pinged by your game buddies.
  • bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Hit and miss for me.
    Sometimes I just want to mess around for a bit with an alt or try a new toon and don't want anyone even knowing the game is going never mind what toon I am on.
    Battlenet can be a pain sometimes.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.