Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

My own take on a new class in Aoc

oujnineoujnine Member
edited July 2020 in General Discussion
I believe that expantion should not just bring new content, but also should evolve the content already existed in the game.
So while fantazising about how expantion gooing to be in AoC, i had this idea that Nodes should evolve beyong the Metropolos stage, for exemple a world hub that exist only if there's five metropolis within a server and only one node can achieve it.
Once achieved, the server unlock a new class "The engineer". And yes, i took a lot of inspiration comming with some of the names from guild wars2, since it was my main mmo.
here's my own take on the different combinations, i had a lot of fun thinking about these names and the meaning for what each class represent.
Classeur1.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Why would an entire class be dependent on the progress of the server? :smiley:
  • Options
    phdmonster wrote: »
    Why would an entire class be dependent on the progress of the server? :smiley:

to clear things off, some skills had been confirmed not to be unlocked until you reach some reputation within some religions/faction within the metropolis node.
    so why not take things further make the class unlockable only if your server progress to a new technological era which the expantion is about.
    also this allow competetion between servers to see which one unlock it first, and bring guilds within the server to set aside their differences to set a common goal.
    that said, this is just a fantasy of mine, i doubt it will ever happen.
  • Options
    So, do you want special augments, a class (combination of 2 archetypes) or an archetype? Those 3 are different and some are a good idea, some are not.
  • Options
    WMC51WMC51 Member
    so when nodes are taken down younlose that benefit. How do you handle that of a benefit is a class?
  • Options
    NamilNamil Member
    What happens when that node is destroyed, do the Engineers get purged lol?
  • Options
    CaptnChuckCaptnChuck Member
    edited July 2020
    The skills that are unlocked by progressing in religions are skills that give you horizontal progression. They don't add vertical progression to your skill.

What this means by is that, it gives effects to your skills ONLY DURING node sieges, events etc.

As for having a class that's unlocked by server progression, I'm not sure what the point of it is. Also the game is based around 8 classes so introducing another class, especially this early on, will be problematic.
  • Options
    you only need to unlock the world hub stage once to unlock the class for the server.
    I understand this is bad game design, but i thought to myself this would be cool in a way or another.
  • Options
    I like the idea of having some very special unlockables for citizens of a node that acheives the hub stage - hypothetical scenario.

Those unlocked augments are different depending on the primary archetype as usual. That's what i would be fine with.
  • Options
    PlagueMonkPlagueMonk Member
    edited August 2020
    ACK! We are going to have 64 classes SIXTY FOUR at launch and you are ALREADY talking about adding 17 new ones? :D

I also don't like the idea of having to unlock such a lofty goal just to get them. An unlock like that would need to be something that could benefit the majority of players and a niche class like Engineer doesn't seem like a fitting reward, imho.

I don't mind a new class (well this actually creates 17 new classes) but it should be something we get down the line as an expansion.......later. Plus I don't recall AoC having gun tech. They had guns in WAR but I don't know if this fits with the overall theme of this game.
    isFikWd2_o.jpg
  • Options
    Actually its seventeen classes, check some of the names i come up with while processing the thoughts around the class :)
  • Options
    oujnine wrote: »
    Actually its seventeen classes, check some of the names i come up with while processing the thoughts around the class :)

Ah you're correct! I forgot to add Engineer to the other side of the equation. I will edit my post, thanks.
    isFikWd2_o.jpg