Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Melee-combat with focus on magic-damage?

I would love to make a character that, while primarily engaging in melee-combat, is focusing on magic-damage.
Question is: would that be possible as melee-classes and weapons are usually having physical-damage and not magical.
Abilities could do magical-damage with augments from magic-classes,
but I would need a Waraxe for example to do magic-damage instead of physical-damage.
Is that possible?
And also would it be viable?

Comments

• Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    It could be viable, but, you could cause a situation where you're a Hard Counter to a Light Armour wearing class in PvP and Light Armour is resistant to Magic Damage, so you might nerf your potential in PvP.

We don't know much about Hard Counters at present though, it is also not inconceivable for someone to have PvE based armour/weapons and PvP based armour/weapons.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2020
    We don't know but we can speculate.

A crafter might (big might) be is able to adjust a waraxe so that it does magic damage instead of physical.

This feels like kind of a stretch though. I'm pretty sure There will be close range magic builds but not sure if that will include a melee weapon that purely does magic damage. I'd think a mage/fighter might be able to augment spells to have some kind of melee component to them.

Can't say if it would be viable but I'd imagine it would be in situations where magic damage is strong. You need to make sure you have a build/stats that synergizes with magic damage.

EDIT: Ignore me and look at lunarsky's post
  • Options
    CaptnChuckCaptnChuck Member
    edited July 2020
    Neurath wrote: »
    We don't know much about Hard Counters at present though, it is also not inconceivable for someone to have PvE based armour/weapons and PvP based armour/weapons.

Nope, Steven said that there will be no such thing as PvP or PvE gear. However, some sets may have set-passives that are better in PvP or PvE.
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited July 2020
    CaptnChuck wrote: »
    Nope, Steven said that there will be no such thing as PvP or PvE gear. However, some sets may have set-passives that are better in PvP or PvE.

I'll be gentle, if you have a passive specced set of armour useful in PvE, then it is your PvE Armour. If you have passive specced set of armour useful in PvP, then its is your PvP Armour. I am well aware the general armour will be PvX, and, I appreciate PvX, however, in terms of crafted and upgraded gear, such gear would be created for a purpose.

Edit: Hell, I could spec/transmog a set of Armour to look like a Dress and stand and dance for hours on end - that would be my Dance Armour.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    s7lvers7lver Member
    Depending how the possibility of a magic melee weapon would play out, I would imagine it either being countered by Light Armour (if a full magic focus is possible) or as a more hybrid build being effective against most Armor Types but not also not very effective/countering (if the build would in the end use physical and magical damage).
    I'm pretty sure there will be close range magic builds but not sure if that will include a melee weapon that purely does magic damage. I'd think a mage/fighter might be able to augment spells to have some kind of melee component to them.

Either way I hope your right about the close range magic build! (Question: Would it better to have a physical Primary class or a magical Primary class?)
  • Options
    lunarskylunarsky Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I imagine it's possible with crafted gear, augments, and weapon enchants. Per the wiki

"Horizontal enchantments are more situational. For example: I'd like my sword to do force damage instead of holy damage because the monsters I tend to fight are incorporeal.[4]
    This doesn't make the item more powerful, but instead more applicable to different situations, and less so to others."

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Enchanting

So it seems like you can get weapons to do certain types of damage via enchants. It will be more or less effective depending on the type of enemy though. So I suppose if you stay ready and carry multiple types of weapons with you so you don't end up trying to kill fire elementals with a fire dmg axe then you'll be OK.
    signature.png
  • Options
    mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2020
    s7lver wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure there will be close range magic builds but not sure if that will include a melee weapon that purely does magic damage. I'd think a mage/fighter might be able to augment spells to have some kind of melee component to them.

Either way I hope your right about the close range magic build! (Question: Would it better to have a physical Primary class or a magical Primary class?)

I'm not sure but i'm leaning magic primary unless augments can completely change the damage type of skills. A magic primary will also have the stats that support magic damage.

That said, this is just my speculation. Can't really say anything solid until I've played with the system.

They have a QnA today at 11am PST. You might want to try to ask the devs there and see what kind of answer they can give.

EDIT: Lunarsky confirmed what i could not. Sounds like it should be possible.
  • Options
    s7lvers7lver Member
    edited July 2020
    With all the answer it really seems that such a melee-magic-build would be possible and viable. (Thx for all the fast responses! <3) But I guess I have to go research even more to fully know how to perfect such a build. Especially the hole enchanting and crafting thing is going to be interesting.
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    There are a few different approaches you could go for:

1. Mage/Fighter|Tank|Bard|Rogue - Go for a melee weapons like a stave, polearm, helbard, or anything similar. Get a crafter to custom build your equipment with high magic damage influencing stats and some endurance.
    2. Fighter/Mage - Same as above with the sides switched, if you want to have some more physical abilities early on so that you dont need to depend on mana so much. Go for augments that turns or add magic damage to your skills.

I myself aim for a melee bard build with high crowd controll and magic damage. Never forget, that crafters can influence the stats of their creations!
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    s7lvers7lver Member
    edited July 2020
    Thats one of my main decisions right now which approach I wanna take.

The classes I consider right now are:
    Battlemage? Mage/Fighter
    Spellstone? Mage/Tank
    Spellsword? Fighter/Mage
    Highsword? Fighter/Cleric
    (Bard in the mix might be interesting as well)

So basically 2 classes for each approach.
    Thing to figure out is what are the pros and cons for the diffrent approaches and in the end which do I like more considering these pros and cons.

I am also working on which weapon I should choose.

I also thought of becoming a bit of a crafter myself for the 1st approach, depending on how the Artisans system will work out in the end.
  • Options
    I think Spellsword(class/spec combo) is the way
  • Options
    LeiloniLeiloni Member
    edited July 2020
    Yes they've said for example that choosing mage as your secondary will mean you can choose from different elemental augments. They have some nice examples here -

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Mage#Mage_augments

So you could go Fighter/Mage or Rogue/Mage and have all your skills use elemental augments, and have fire/frost/lightning on all your attacks.
  • Options
    EZPKEZPK Member
    Not enough specifics have been released about augments and spells to say anything is in the game or viable, watch the dev updates and lookout for the things relating to the mage and its augments. Perhaps make a post to them suggesting certain ways you would like them to include such a build, what kind of skills you would like to see.

melee magic combo has been done before and been fun, wouldnt mind seeing it myself, maybe something like https://youtu.be/m3CU-1iwR1w?t=109
  • Options
    I think Spellsword(class/spec combo) is the way
    Leiloni wrote: »
    Yes they've said for example that choosing mage as your secondary will mean you can choose from different elemental augments.
    EZPK wrote: »
    Not enough specifics have been released about augments and spells to say anything is in the game or viable, watch the dev updates and lookout for the things relating to the mage and its augments.

Because there isn't very much one all the augments and the spells its pretty difficult to know how the augmented spells would play out.
    How melee would a Mage spell with Fighter augment or how magical would a Fighter spell with Mage augment be? If we had more information on that it would be easier to say with approach is better (it could also be that both approaches are viable but the builds would have major differences in fighting styles).
    I would guess:
    Fighter/Mage (example) would play more like a Warrior class that uses some magic to improve spells.
    Mage/Fighter (example) would play more like a Mage class wielding a melee weapon.
    In that regard I'd say that melee as primary would be more specialized and mage as primary more flexible in different situations.
    EZPK wrote: »
    melee magic combo has been done before and been fun, wouldnt mind seeing it myself, maybe something like https://youtu.be/m3CU-1iwR1w?t=109

Something between a Sorc and a Mystic/Striker (I played Mystic btw) from BDO with way more Weopon usage would probably be my goal. So enchanted weapons (as suggested by lunarsky) with spells that help/damage/cc in close-range, but are still focused on magic effects and damage (this would sound like melee primary I think)(as suggested by some).
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited August 2020
    You also need to decide on a weapontype. They will influence your weaponskills afterall.
    If they keep the attack animations, then i would recommend a staff, polearm or helbard.
    They have wide swinging animations that track a surprising amount of distance.

It would be really nice if they had something like the Ninja from BDO with magic damage.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSVP8YN4WsE
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    Damokles wrote: »
    You also need to decide on a weapontype. They will influence your weaponskills afterall.
    If they keep the attack animations, then i would recommend a staff, polearm or helbard.
    They have wide swinging animations that track a surprising amount of distance.

It would be really nice if they had something like the Ninja from BDO with magic damage.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSVP8YN4WsE

I agree with you. I will probably try to have multiple differently enchanted weapons at my disposal (goal) so I can adapt to different situations as lunarsky mentioned. And I think polearms/helebards or staves will definitly be apart of that.

Also the ninja with magic-damage would look awesome too.