Wine compatibility

As the title might suggest, I am not in fact speaking of the delicious, scarlet, alcoholic beverage. No, what I am referring to is "wine is not an emulator" which is an emulation layer. I won't go into detail here, as there's probably no need for that. But the short version is. It makes windows games playable on Linux.

I'd have tested this myself, but alas. I was too late on the Apocalypse testing.

I accept there won't be a native Linux version of the game (Though I'd be beyond thrilled if there was) I think I read somewhere on the old forums long ago that Ashes plans on implementing their own form of anti-cheat.

This is of course great news. As EAC (easy anti-cheat) has been a bane for Linux gaming for a long time. Blizzard, for example also has their own. And they made sure that wine, whilst not officially supported. Isn't flagged. So that we can enjoy the games in peace.

With that in mind, I hope Ashes does a similar thing, and allow the game, and it's anti-cheat/bot software to run through wine.

Is anyone in the know on this?

Ariatras,
l8im8pj8upjq.gif

Comments

• Intrepid have said in the past - don't know the exact date of the stream, that they have not planned support for the game on other platforms other than Windows.

After launch? Who knows. Right now they are focused on the game itself and the most popular platform it can be played on.
  • ariatrasariatras Member, Founder
    ariatras wrote: »

I accept there won't be a native Linux version of the game (Though I'd be beyond thrilled if there was) I think I read somewhere on the old forums long ago that Ashes plans on implementing their own form of anti-cheat.

That is what I said here. I wanted to avoid answers like this. I know it's Windows only.

White listing wine is hardly going to take a lot of development time.

I'd also add, in games that don't support Mac. Wine is also used. And Macintosh marketshare is sizable enough.
    l8im8pj8upjq.gif

• tugowartugowar Member, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Whitelistng something probably isn’t hard, like you were saying, but it’s also not as simple as you’re thinking either. You’ve got emulation issues, you’ve got a security assessment, etc.

Virtue is the only good.
    tugowar wrote: »
    Whitelistng something probably isn’t hard, like you were saying, but it’s also not as simple as you’re thinking either. You’ve got emulation issues, you’ve got a security assessment, etc.

You are right, I wasn't too clear in my post, all these things required I put under the same umbrella. It's obviously not as easy as flicking a proverbial switch. So yea, you're right. I should have been a lot clearer. I still don't think it'll take "too much" development time if you make your anti-cheat with the possibility of people using wine, as you're making your own anti-cheat anyway.
    l8im8pj8upjq.gif

• NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Did anyone else come here thinking this would be about wine making?
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
    Nagash wrote: »

Wine making is a good topic. So being hopeful for such things isn't a sin :p
    l8im8pj8upjq.gif

• NeliryaNelirya Member, Founder, Kickstarter

Sure did! Was so confused until I read the OP post haha
    giphy.gif

Oh good, for a moment I thought I was odd
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Wandering MistWandering Mist Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One

Well, you are odd, just for other reasons.
    volunteer_moderator.gif

Well, you are odd, just for other reasons.

Ouch that hurt
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• phdmonsterphdmonster Member
    edited August 2020
    I don't know exactly what kind of answer you wanted or expected to get. They addressed the topic years ago. What more can we as supporters from the project tell you?

What more can the developers actually tell you? Like, if you don't like their answer that's fine, but that doesn't mean there is more to it.
  • Undead CanuckUndead Canuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    You can always try it on Linux and see if it works. If so, great! If not, you will have to wait or run it on a Windows machine.

And @Nagash You are not odd, you are one of a kind!
  • tugowartugowar Member, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    phdmonster wrote: »
    I don't know exactly what kind of answer you wanted or expected to get. They addressed the topic years ago. What more can we as supporters from the project tell you?

What more can the developers actually tell you? Like, if you don't like their answer that's fine, but that doesn't mean there is more to it.

This dude has a potential workaround that opens up market. Since we are all self-proclaimed judges of the worthiness of a thread, I hereby deem it worthy of Intrepid’s consideration.

Virtue is the only good.