Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

The $75 Paywall

as someone who just found out about the game and missed the Kickstart this is the first real off-putting thing for me.

I understand the limited beta access stuff etc. But with the skins never being back again not being able to get in on that really sucks. Especially with the game probably not being out for another two years.

It would be nice to have something for like $20 or $25 to at least get in on it. Even if it didn't include beta access etc. I'm already worried about spending $30 a month for me and the wife to play.

I know games have always had early entry reward tiers but damn.

Comments

• Options
    That's not a pay wall buddy. Those are cosmetics and have no impact in the game. Also why are you going on about buying cosmetics when you're already worried about the monthly fee?
  • Options
    75$ is the package that gives you access to the Betas, they are more than 1 year away at this time.

The cosmetics each month are meant to be have an exclusive element to them, which is why they do not return with a few exceptions. Some if not most of these cosmetics will have in-game variants that you can earn by playing.

I do agree that it would be nice if you can purchase cosmetics without the testing privileges, but that's what it is right now.
  • Options
    WMC51WMC51 Member
    That's not a pay wall buddy. Those are cosmetics and have no impact in the game. Also why are you going on about buying cosmetics when you're already worried about the monthly fee?

Cause the cosmetics are cheaper and I'm not paying for the game every month yet so easier to buy skins now.
  • Options
    Jesus, the entitlement is real...
    "I want the reward for supporting the games developement, but I dont want to actually give them the money. its so unfair, gimme now for cheap!"
  • Options
    Anduin KayvaanAnduin Kayvaan Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Alpha One
    edited July 2020
    As a person who has invested over $1500 into this game. I don't see the problem with $75
    ckja7ry05gj4.png
    Gray Sentinels Guild Recruitment https://tinyurl.com/Gray-Sentinels
  • Options
    WMC51WMC51 Member
    Raoul9753 wrote: »
    Jesus, the entitlement is real...
    "I want the reward for supporting the games developement, but I dont want to actually give them the money. its so unfair, gimme now for cheap!"

Never said that. Just lower entry fee and the chance to give them money. Never said we should be able to strait up start buying skins direct. So I guess being on a budget and still wanting to support the game is entitled
  • Options
    CrowleyCrowley Member
    edited July 2020
    WMC51 wrote: »
    Never said that. Just lower entry fee and the chance to give them money. Never said we should be able to strait up start buying skins direct. So I guess being on a budget and still wanting to support the game is entitled

I get your point, I'm sort of in the same boat. I don't have the funds to support atm, but you can't blame them for putting a high price on a Beta. Imo it weeds out the people that just want to try it out, and leaves you with beta players that are actively looking for bugs.
  • Options
    WMC51WMC51 Member
    Yeah I get the beta access and all that. Was just hoping for lets say a package of something like 1 month sub and $10 in embers not including accacces or the current skin but let's you be able to start buying skins.

It would just be nice to get in on the fun. I know thensay $50 to 100 I might spend the next year wouldn't even register on the radar.
  • Options
    Wow you shouldn't call preorder packages a "paywall" because they are not, they're optional, and since you're worried about the monthly fee it really is confusing.
    "Magic is not a tool, little one. It is a river that unites us in its current."

I heard a bird ♫
  • Options
    OrcLuckOrcLuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I doubt this is going to gather much traction. People funded the game, they funded early and bought things early with NO regard to what the finish product might actually turn into or be implemented. To reward that and incentivize getting things that resonate with you, they made the cosmetics limited time purchases.

Even better since Covid they realized that people were struggling and they've delayed some cosmetic releases to give people longer time to get together their play money.
  • Options
    KohlKohl Member
    phdmonster wrote: »
    75$ is the package that gives you access to the Betas, they are more than 1 year away at this time.

The cosmetics each month are meant to be have an exclusive element to them, which is why they do not return with a few exceptions. Some if not most of these cosmetics will have in-game variants that you can earn by playing.

I do agree that it would be nice if you can purchase cosmetics without the testing privileges, but that's what it is right now.

I imagine the persistent alpha to go this first quarter 2021? Or is that way too soon for it?
  • Options
    CaerylCaeryl Member
    No bud, these preorder packages are primarily for participation in Alpha and Beta stages. It’s not early access, get-ahead stuff. It’s so the team can actually find, fix, and adjust aspects of the game and its mechanics. Why would they reduce these sales to skins? If you desperately want a cosmetic, well you have to take part in the Alpha or Beta testing. That price tag is to weed out people who are only interested in the cosmetics, and so I’m sorry to say, it’s doing its job if you feel discouraged to buy the packs just for the cosmetics it lets you buy.
  • Options
    WMC51WMC51 Member
    It's pretty much the definition of a paywall although for optional features and not the game itself.

I would agree about the Kickstart backer perks however the $75 package is existing and on going.

If you're confused about a budget when spending $30 a month and vs being able to spend a little on cosmetics to help support a game you expect to be pretty food i don't know how to break it down more.
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Oh look a poor person
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    AardvarkAardvark Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Chic fila is hiring and they start at 15hr. Work 1 hr a week and you can afford this game with money left over
  • Options
    WMC51WMC51 Member
    I just need to sell one or two of the kids. They're expensive. I need to loose weight too so I could just skip lunch for 2 months.
  • Options
    WiplasherWiplasher Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty
    I just need to sell one or two of the kids. They're expensive. I need to loose weight too so I could just skip lunch for 2 months.

haha I feel that.

One thing I will say though. If $30 bucks a month might be a struggle. Don't worry about skins. Start putting $10 away a month for the game. Then when it is released you wont have to worry about the sub fee for you and the wife.
  • Options
    wiplasher4 wrote: »

haha I feel that.

One thing I will say though. If $30 bucks a month might be a struggle. Don't worry about skins. Start putting $10 away a month for the game. Then when it is released you wont have to worry about the sub fee for you and the wife.

If 30 a month might be a struggle seriously consider a 2nd job even something like cutting grass. If things are that tight you don’t want to waste time in game you could be working
  • Options
    WMC51WMC51 Member
    pft. Saving money isn't the American way.

I'm just OCD and will avoid wearing upgrades if it makes my character not match.

And I want to keep the excitement going while waiting for the game.
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One

I'm just OCD and will avoid wearing upgrades if it makes my character not match.

“You received the artifact Girdle of Invincibility, I read that there is only a one in a million chance of it dropping from end game content. You are so fortunate!”

“A purple belt clashes with my jerkin so I dismantled it for materials.”

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    WMC51WMC51 Member
    Atama wrote: »

“You received the artifact Girdle of Invincibility, I read that there is only a one in a million chance of it dropping from end game content. You are so fortunate!”

“A purple belt clashes with my jerkin so I dismantled it for materials.”

100%
  • Options
    Steven said he knows he would get more money if he lessened the price, but he likes the idea of these being exclusive only to those who put faith in the game enough to spend the large amount of money. As with any of these things theirs always a risk that something could go wrong in development even with the best intentions, so buy at your own risk. Don't feel pressured to buy, because its only cosmetics, the game has no box cost anyway, and there will be equally cool cosmetics in game.
  • Options
    Next months cosmetics need to be good. I looked through all the old ones and thought this months were the worst. Several of the other sets were really good
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Aardvark wrote: »
    Next months cosmetics need to be good. I looked through all the old ones and thought this months were the worst. Several of the other sets were really good

just wait till October
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    It's pretty much the definition of a paywall
    for optional features

Errrrr...

Right.
  • Options
    WMC51WMC51 Member
    I never said I wasn't pouting.
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Just dropped $375 on the game after watching various interviews. Would gladly drop more to get alpha-1 if possible, because I missed the kick-starter. I am fine with the paywall because my enthusiasm for this game is so high.

Having limited edition cosmetics that never come back is the only thing that makes cosmetics interesting to me. Personally I wish every game had the option to make it so that you could disable cosmetics, but I know I am in the minority with that argument. At least with these cosmetics being limited, they will be special. I will never get that damn tattoo OG FFXIV players have, but I like seeing it on them. I would be pissed if square put it in the cash shop.

Also nothing beats paying the extra few bucks to get some crap in a MMO launch, just to see that 90% of the server population is wearing the same shit. Hopefully in 2 more years there are enough other cosmetics in the pool for me to not look like everyone else and launch.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    I’m looking forward to looking like a pleb with my mismatched in-game loot at launch. :)
    sig-Samson-Final.gif
  • Options
    A paywall, by strict definition, is a system that prevents users from accessing service(s) without a paid subscription. What you are referring to as paywall, is better termed a fee. We should agree on words to eliminate confusion.

But semantics aside, the starter packages, or call then what you like (donations, pledges, funding kits) do not prevent you from accessing the game once it is complete. They prevent you from accessing the testing phases. If the entry level "package" is too much money for you, then it may ease your mind to remember that Steven has stated on many occasions that he doesn't want your money. Indeed, he has said he doesn't need it.

You may now go about your business free and clear of guilt from not contributing monetarily. No one is condemning others here for not contributing. There is no reason to feel guilt.

Steven has also said he is most interested in your feedback on these forums, Reddit, and Discord. That costs you no money. So, from that perspective, it's a far better deal! :) You get the game at monthly subscription cost and development happens successfully without the risk of losing your presumably hard earned dollars.
    "Don't be hasty."
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited August 2020
    You are not buying anything yet.
    You support if you want.
    The only time you will choose to buy is your first subscription when the game goes live.

What are you complaining about?

Btw, Id like to get in on the fun and go to Hawai, but those airplane tickets are kind of a paywall. Cant they be more like $50 or so? I'd like to get in on the fun.