Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Caravans

I love the idea of caravans transporting goods and becoming rolling PvP zones. I like it so much that I would like to take the idea further.

In addition to being able to transport goods, a player’s personal caravan might have an upgrade that allows the caravan to serve as a merchant stall while inside a settlement. This could allow players to set up shop inside Expeditions (tier 1 nodes) and Encampments (tier 2 nodes), which is otherwise disallowed.

A different upgrade might install a ballista or other siege equipment on the caravan.

Passenger vehicles could transport NPCs instead of cargo.

A covered wagon could covertly transport guards including PCs. If the caravan is attacked, the guards could jump out and protect the caravan.

A prison wagon could transport NPC prisoners who try to escape en route, or maybe there could be a way to subdue and capture corrupted players instead of killing them. The husbandry profession may require the transport of wild animals in a prison wagon.

Chariots could allow players to travel faster than the individual animals pulling it.

A vardo (Gypsy wagon) or sheep wagon could serve as a portable home.

A chuckwagon could serve as a field kitchen allowing crafters to make food.

A portable forge could allow crafters to create metal works.

A pageant wagon could serve as a portable stage for role playing bards to put on performances and make a few coins.

These just scratch the surface of what is possible. What other kinds of caravans or upgrades would you want to see in Ashes of Creation?

Comments

• Options
    I love the idea of setting up a little wagon shop in places, that's so cute and thematic.
    "Come come, I bring good wares from the capital! At a reasonable price!"
  • Options
    JuvensJuvens Member
    I love these ideas! It would make a more living and breathing world.
  • Options
    I was wonder if there has been any talk about NPC guards being able to be hired to help transport your goods. I think it would help with the smaller groups of player trying to move goods. This would prevent the little guys from getting pick on when they want to do trade.
  • Options
    JubilumJubilum Member, Pioneer, Kickstarter
    Chaps2100 wrote: »
    I was wonder if there has been any talk about NPC guards being able to be hired to help transport your goods. I think it would help with the smaller groups of player trying to move goods. This would prevent the little guys from getting pick on when they want to do trade.

This is already a thing.
  • Options
    JubilumJubilum Member, Pioneer, Kickstarter
    I agree and support the implementation of all the OP ideas.
  • Options
    I really like these ideas, quite a bit. I think these would be awesome in a future update. Though, I'm more on the side of hoping ideas like these are more impactful on the world around us. Just a few examples.

If a traveling smithy caravan comes through the area, perhaps the spawn rate of certain metals are increased. An Alchemy caravan could make unusual herbs spawn for a short time, etc.

If prisoners aren't captured from the prison bust, maybe the area is plagued with bandits for a few days. Maybe quests will pop up that reference both the event and ask you to eliminate the threat. "Bobs prison wagon caravan was ransacked and brigands were set free.. etc etc."

What if caravans were impactful on events that take place in the world like sieges? Increase the likelihood of success/failure, and give people a choice. If civilians of a node under siege are fleeing via caravan, do you attack them in cold blood and gain corruption? Or let them go?
  • Options
    Bearheart wrote: »
    I really like these ideas, quite a bit. I think these would be awesome in a future update. Though, I'm more on the side of hoping ideas like these are more impactful on the world around us. Just a few examples.

If a traveling smithy caravan comes through the area, perhaps the spawn rate of certain metals are increased. An Alchemy caravan could make unusual herbs spawn for a short time, etc.

If prisoners aren't captured from the prison bust, maybe the area is plagued with bandits for a few days. Maybe quests will pop up that reference both the event and ask you to eliminate the threat. "Bobs prison wagon caravan was ransacked and brigands were set free.. etc etc."

What if caravans were impactful on events that take place in the world like sieges? Increase the likelihood of success/failure, and give people a choice. If civilians of a node under siege are fleeing via caravan, do you attack them in cold blood and gain corruption? Or let them go?

that would be good