Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

COMBAT active blocking and rolling

PLZ Steven have active Blocking and Rolling limited to certain classes like blocking to Tanks with shields and rolling to rogues. ESO's popularity could benefit your success !!
S3gcPiA.jpg

Comments

• Cold 0ne FTBCold 0ne FTB Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I would definitively love to have this added but we need to remember that this game is a new game. It will be different and it will have to stand on its own. Also Steven already said no to active blocking. I believe he did say that certain classes will have active dodge rolls within certain skills.
    ZxbhjES.gif

That is not dead which can eternal lie. And with strange aeons even death may die.
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    valerian wrote: »
    PLZ Steven have active Blocking and Rolling limited to certain classes like blocking to Tanks with shields and rolling to rogues. ESO's popularity could benefit your success !!

They already had this in the BR
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • FathymFathym Member
    Nagash wrote: »

I think the key to what he is asking for is "limited to certain classes". I personally really like this idea. I am of the opinion that the 8 archetypes should feel as varied as possible to play so giving mechanics like this to each would add flavor and variety to game play. They still have to make sure each archetype feels fluid and fun though. They have to make sure not to gimp some archetypes for the sake of flavor.
    Healawin wrote: »

I think the key to what he is asking for is "limited to certain classes". I personally really like this idea. I am of the opinion that the 8 archetypes should feel as varied as possible to play so giving mechanics like this to each would add flavor and variety to game play. They still have to make sure each archetype feels fluid and fun though. They have to make sure not to gimp some archetypes for the sake of flavor.

The problem is every class can use any item so I don't see this happening in that regard but maybe a class could have buff for a weapon.
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One

The problem is every class can use any item so I don't see this happening in that regard but maybe a class could have buff for a weapon.
    I want to block with a book.

Hhak63P.png
  • FathymFathym Member
    edited July 2020

Ya thats what i was thinking. Like brawlers and tanks get enhanced blocking and maybe parry. Rogues and maybe hunters get extra dodge charges. Mages of course have blink abilities. That kind of stuff.

Atama wrote: »

I want to block with a book.

At the same time, I am horrified and interested in that idea
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Cold 0ne FTBCold 0ne FTB Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I think it adds a very interesting dynamic to combat and increases the skill threshold of combat.
    ZxbhjES.gif

That is not dead which can eternal lie. And with strange aeons even death may die.
  • I keep checking where Steven said 100% no active blocking, all they said is that it presented problems. Also, they already have action skills in the game besides tab target. It shouldn't be far fetched to have active blocking either.
    S3gcPiA.jpg
    edited August 2020
    I keep checking where Steven said 100% no active blocking, all they said is that it presented problems. Also, they already have action skills in the game besides tab target. It shouldn't be far fetched to have active blocking either.

I am 90% sure there was a skill to block in APOC
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I think that everyone should have a Lunge tbh.
    I keep checking where Steven said 100% no active blocking, all they said is that it presented problems. Also, they already have action skills in the game besides tab target. It shouldn't be far fetched to have active blocking either.

That was the active skill for the shield in APOC. Pretty meh tbh in comparison to the lifeleach from the helbard or the Staminadrain from the Spear in my opinion ;D
    a6XEiIf.gif
    Damokles wrote: »
    I think that everyone should have a Lunge tbh.

That was the active skill for the shield in APOC. Pretty meh tbh in comparison to the lifeleach from the helbard or the Staminadrain from the Spear in my opinion ;D

Oh I know it was terrible but the foundation was there
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    From the wiki:

"The developers have not yet decided on whether active blocking will be part of the MMO. They are currently leaning toward using more traditional buff-oriented universal damage mitigation but are also considering interaction between action-based blocking and the waterfall stat system.

In APOC when we had the active sheild stance- that was an active shield block action-based system; and when we collected design data on essentially the efficacy and essentially the accuracy of players who used that wasn't very high; and there is a concern at least on the front of implementing a action restricted type active shield block as opposed to what would traditionally be along the lines of activating a buff that grants a shield block rate adjustment and is universal on incoming damage- and interfaces with the stats- is really something that we're leaning towards in incorporating for the hybrid combat system.] – Steven Sharif

This is something we're still actively iterating on and actively going to be testing in our hybrid system but you know as we're as we're doing that we are taking into consideration. Obviously we want action based components to also interact in some way shape or form with the waterfall stat system as well; and you know that seems like it might be an oxymoron from an action to tab sense, but it doesn't have to be. There can be components of action- so say for instance you could have a dual component where you activate that shield stance and if you accurately intercept an incoming projectile or a skill that's been initiated from the forward arc, you get 80% damage mitigation or 80% application of the physical defense of the shield; and if it comes from an area outside of that forward arc then you get a lesser bonus; and that essentially what would happen is let's say you take into account the stat of the shield's physical defense value, you apply it as a mitigating factor to the incoming damage, but in addition you augment that system with the waterfall stat that is responsible for shield damage mitigation or shield rate; and maybe you know the default skill says 80% damage mitigation from forward arc but that gets augmented up to 87% because of your stat essentially; and if it's not in your forward arc then it gets you know 50% efficacy- maybe it's 40 something percent. So just to give you kind of insight into what goes into kind of determining these skills and how they interact on an action-based front. – Steven Sharif
    "
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • valerianvalerian Member
    edited August 2020
    Well, it's pretty close according to what he said. If you activate that shield you can intercept incoming damage. I can live with that as long as you have a shield equipped I guess.
    S3gcPiA.jpg