Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

For my fellow Crafting nerds... Tools!

LethalityLethality Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
First off: my heart skipped a beat when Steven invoked SWG crafting today :)

Anyhoo, I was a bit disappointed to hear on the stream that we won't be able to customize our tools for gathering, in the way an adventurer might customize their weapons?

Hopefully you guys are considering -- or we could make the case for -- at least some type of racial specialization for the design of tools... even if not functionally, visually. I'd love to see what a Niküa pickaxe might look like vs one from the Kaelar, for example!

If I'm dreaming, then I might also wish that the function of those pickaxes would have stats of their own (i.e. a Niküa pickaxe might be of a tougher but heavier build, meaning that it's harder to carry but lasts longer, for example. Though that Kaelar one is sharper, and brings with it a higher yield per swing ;)

Of course I understand that there is always a demand for art capacity... but I'd really love to see Artisan players be able to differentiate themselves through expression of their tools, outfitting, just as Adventure players might do through weapons and armor!

Ashes seems like it's going to not make crafters a second class citizen, as some other games do, so it would be nice to really feel it!

World Class Indoorsman

Comments

• Options
    Oh those are very interesting. I wish they revisit the tools once they have the time because I feel there's a lot to do!
    "Magic is not a tool, little one. It is a river that unites us in its current."

I heard a bird ♫
  • Options
    tankextankex Member
    If BiS raiding gear is cool BiS crafting/gathering gear should be cool aswell!
  • Options
    McShaveMcShave Member
    So I feel this would be hard to implement, because the gear and weapons only looks different when worn by characters of different races. Intrepid doesn't really have a system to craft specific race gear/ weapons/ tools. I would love to be able to craft race specific items that have unique stats on them, but from what it sounds like, it won't be in the game.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited May 2021
    I haven't seen anything that suggests that crafted tools can't be given racial appearances or even racial stats.
    The way to accomplish that is via the recipes that are given out by the crafting NPCs at a Node.
    Race will be meaningful in Ashes...in such a way that there will be reasons why player characters will prefer a specific race to be the highest population in a Metro.
    Racial crafting recipes will very likely be one of those incentives.