Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Assassination - PvE meets PvP

I am sorry if this topic was discussed already, but I couldn't find anything through the search function or at the wiki.

What do you guys think about that:
When a group of players starts pulling a boss in a dungeon some randomly picked players get an assassination invitation right in that moment.
These players can accept or decline the invitation but if they accept they get teleportet to that boss and need to fight for them and help the boss to survive for a period of time by attacking/killing the raid group. It is important though that these assassins don't get a penalty for that, but a little reward if they succeed.

I got that idea from another game, where this system also was applied on caravans for example. This could be usefull to make PvE content more rich in variety, while giving PvP players more chances to fight without a punishment.

Please tell me what do you think about it or show me where I can read an earlier discussion about that.

Comments

• Cold 0ne FTBCold 0ne FTB Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Baku wrote: »
    I am sorry if this topic was discussed already, but I couldn't find anything through the search function or at the wiki.

What do you guys think about that:
    When a group of players starts pulling a boss in a dungeon some randomly picked players get an assassination invitation right in that moment.
    These players can accept or decline the invitation but if they accept they get teleportet to that boss and need to fight for them and help the boss to survive for a period of time by attacking/killing the raid group. It is important though that these assassins don't get a penalty for that, but a little reward if they succeed.

I got that idea from another game, where this system also was applied on caravans for example. This could be usefull to make PvE content more rich in variety, while giving PvP players more chances to fight without a punishment.

Please tell me what do you think about it or show me where I can read an earlier discussion about that.

Not sure if I like this idea. For instance what if its a healer that gets picked. Can the healer heal the boss? Further could you imagine being in a 40 man raid that has the perfect comp and there is a few vital roles for that comp. Lets say you loss one of those roles. In End Game raiding in other games, just losing a vital person in the party is enough to wipe, having to fight this person now would make it far far worse.

Now add on the fact that the reward this person gets has to be comparable to a drop that this boss drops as their would be no point in fighting with a boss and winning if your group could make more from just killing the boss.
    ZxbhjES.gif

That is not dead which can eternal lie. And with strange aeons even death may die.
  • BakuBaku Member
    edited July 2020
    Not sure if I like this idea. For instance what if its a healer that gets picked. Can the healer heal the boss? Further could you imagine being in a 40 man raid that has the perfect comp and there is a few vital roles for that comp. Lets say you loss one of those roles. In End Game raiding in other games, just losing a vital person in the party is enough to wipe, having to fight this person now would make it far far worse.

Well that definitely will need some fine tuning. Maybe by changing the stats of the assassins or giving them special assassin skills.
    But that would be the difficult part of it. The group would need to protect their "vital roles" if they want to stand those assassins.
    Also the bosses should be adapted to that system so that they are still hard but not impossible when they spawn their killers.
    Now add on the fact that the reward this person gets has to be comparable to a drop that this boss drops as their would be no point in fighting with a boss and winning if your group could make more from just killing the boss.

The reason behind this system is not the reward the assassins get (well maybe a little bit - depends on the reward... but it shouldn't be a high reward). The reason behind this system is the PvP action without punishment and giving boring PvE boss fights that are always the same more variety and suprisingly new situations and fights.
    Well that definitely will need some fine tuning. Maybe by changing the stats of the assassins or giving them special assassin skills.
    But that would be the difficult part of it. The group would need to protect their "vital roles" if they want to stand those assassins.
    Also the bosses should be adapted to that system so that they are still hard but not impossible when they spawn their killers.

I guess fights could be balanced so that fights didn't have a one person vital role.
    The reason behind this system is not the reward the assassins get (well maybe a little bit - depends on the reward... but it shouldn't be a high reward). The reason behind this system is the PvP action without punishment and giving boring PvE boss fights that are always the same more variety and suprisingly new situations and fights.

I think you are missing my point. Raids, especially the harder ones need to have a larger focus on the PVEr mindset. If your party misses out on a Legendary drop because somebody won at this assassination level you wouldn't be being rewarded you would be losing. The devs would need to balance it around this. Further let's say you made it so the reward of this player succeeded was as good or better than if the party succeeded. Maybe they got a drop from the boss if they win. Parties could just "take a knee" and wipe. You could rinse and repeat this and instead of having to wait for the boss to respawn you could grind it.

This mechanic would be nice for those few people that lack loyalty to the group but outside of that it opens up a can of worms.

If you are worried about PVE being boring you will be happy to know that boss mechanics vary depending on how well the party preforms at earlier fights, and the level of near by nodes.

ZxbhjES.gif

That is not dead which can eternal lie. And with strange aeons even death may die.
  • BakuBaku Member
    I think you are missing my point. Raids, especially the harder ones need to have a larger focus on the PVEr mindset. If your party misses out on a Legendary drop because somebody won at this assassination level you wouldn't be being rewarded you would be losing. The devs would need to balance it around this. Further let's say you made it so the reward of this player succeeded was as good or better than if the party succeeded. Maybe they got a drop from the boss if they win. Parties could just "take a knee" and wipe. You could rinse and repeat this and instead of having to wait for the boss to respawn you could grind it.

Sorry, but I just don't get what you mean.
    The assassins wouldn't get a legendary drop or nearly as good stuff as the boss drops. Their mission is to fight and have fun.
    Also the raid who wants to kill the boss wouldn't lose any drops. If they fail to kill the boss within the time limit they need to restart and trigger new assassins.

Or would do you mean? Sorry again ^-^

Sorry, but I just don't get what you mean.
    The assassins wouldn't get a legendary drop or nearly as good stuff as the boss drops. Their mission is to fight and have fun.
    Also the raid who wants to kill the boss wouldn't lose any drops. If they fail to kill the boss within the time limit they need to restart and trigger new assassins.

Or would do you mean? Sorry again ^-^

Okay let me try again. Let's say your guild or you and your friends want a few items from a dungeon. These items only drop from when the bosses in this dungeon die. Why would anybody willingly sabotage their groups chances of getting said drops? If the assassin wins, your group doesn't get the drops and has to restart the fight. Further if there are other groups around, those groups my seize the opportunity and steal these bosses.

Whenever the question of balance enters a topic, you need to look past personal enjoyment or fun, you have to focus on the extremes. What happens if somebody who is absolutely min/maxed to the max deals with this? If it creates an exploit, they end up completely ignoring it or if it becomes too powerful it needs to be reworked.
    ZxbhjES.gif

• BakuBaku Member
    Okay I guess I know now.
    If the assassin is a balcksmith for example and the boss would drop ressources for refining then noone would get it and the blackmith that was the assassin can't work with this ressources.

Well that is a good point. But maybe in the raid are other players that need this recources and the noone else except them would get it anyways.

All that would defenitely need to be balanced and fine tuned, but I liked this idea. It can be a double-edged-sword though
  • Juk KOJuk KO Member
    edited August 2020
    I think this idea is seemingly pointless because you can already do what you speak of. You can already go to a open world raid and assassinate players while they raid. Bop someone whos 1hp on the head and they going to die and youll get corrupted.

Im curious how open world raids will play out. Can anyone get credit for the kill? Like if 2 opposing groups go to the raids and during the raid the other group appears what happens? How is credit given? How is loot dropped?

Having some ASSASSINATE EVENT sounds interesting but it sounds like more of a problem. Why should 1 ASSASSIN fuck with potentially 40 just to kill someone whos raiding? Like if you wanna be a rogue go fuck with caravan pvp. Battlegrounds will have open world pvp probably of some sort. Like CTF or TDM. Theres plenty of opportunity to be an assassin (and you already can mess with raiders as an assassin).
    Juk KO wrote: »
    I think this idea is seemingly pointless because you can already do what you speak of. You can already go to a open world raid and assassinate players while they raid. Bop someone whos 1hp on the head and they going to die and youll get corrupted.

Im curious how open world raids will play out. Can anyone get credit for the kill? Like if 2 opposing groups go to the raids and during the raid the other group appears what happens? How is credit given? How is loot dropped?

You are right. I just don't see this idea working from the way OP worded it. Why would anybody work against their own group/guild and risk losing legendary items?
    ZxbhjES.gif

• BakuBaku Member

Well okay maybe it really doesn't fit well to the system of Ashes, even though it was nice in that other game where Dungeons were instanced.
  • Baku wrote: »

Well okay maybe it really doesn't fit well to the system of Ashes, even though it was nice in that other game where Dungeons were instanced.

Sounds like an entire new genre of game. A dungeon crawler where its like 4v1 and you have to finish. Almost like Evolve or Predator.
  • BakuBaku Member
    Well yea it coud be a system for a whole new genre with new boss mechanics, as you say
  • JubilumJubilum Member, Pioneer, Kickstarter
    Probably not going to be much of a dungeon fighter. But it appears that you are going to need 2 full raid groups to kill a boss. One to kill it and another to watch their back to keep people away from them who want to stop them from killing it. Then they could switch places.