Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Missing Artisan tree?

I posted this in another thread but thought it deserved it's own discussion plus I have thought and refined it a bit.

I see a LOT of good things in the Trade Skills that has been mentioned thus far but there appears to be one glaring omission imho.......

Gathering:

- Hunting (will provide meat and hides)
- Gatherer (This could be gathering berries, roots, etc and even cotton. Whatever is not covered by Herbalist)

Processing:
- Butchery (Providing finished meats that could also be used for cooking)
- Tanning (For Leather Working)
- Weaving / Dying (For Tailor)

Crafting:
- Seamstress / Tailor (Creates robes, cloaks, gloves, and any other cloth based goods)
- Leather Worker (Leather goods like water skins, backpacks, pouches, shoes, boots, etc. along with base layers for armor like
studded, scale, partial plate, etc)

Are we really supposed to buy our Mage Robes, and sturdy boots from the local Armorer who should be focusing on your chain or plate armor?

I fully admit the idea for this came straight out of DAoC that had a lot of these very crafts and required components. I spent MANY long hours watching progress bars waiting for a "bong* or a "ping* :p
isFikWd2_o.jpg

Comments

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    PlagueMonk wrote: »
    Are we really supposed to buy our Mage Robes, and sturdy boots from the local Armorer who should be focusing on your chain or plate armor?
    There hasn't actually been an announcement at all on professions as of yet.

All the information on what classes will be in Ashes were pulled from livestreams when they were used as examples.

So, not only is it not complete, it is also not necessarily accurate as to what information actually is there.
  • Options
    tugowartugowar Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Is it just me or does processing sound boring af?

Virtue is the only good.
  • Options
    How fun they are depends on their methods of implementation. As long as it's not just doing it from a menu and that is it I think it has a lot of potential. I want mini games to be associated with them so I have a chance to have fun doing them.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • Options
    tugowar wrote: »

It does, but I would hope they have the same approach to this as to support classes in battle.
  • Options
    lunarskylunarsky Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One

Yeah, it does which is why I'm somewhat worried about it being implemented in its current state. A lot of people may avoid it which could cause issues with the economy and supply.

On top of that, part of me wants to see it just rolled into gathering or crafting depending on what it is. It seems weird that a weaponsmith, for example, can craft elaborate weapons but can't smelt ore or how a miner can make their own mining picks (which would require shaping the metal into an axe) but can't smelt ore either.

Weaving, Tanning, and Butchery make a bit more sense but the smelting bothers me for some reason.
    signature.png
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One

It sounds like fun to me. Time to make some mummies
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options

To me, it sounds both boring and profitable.
  • Options
    Im not great at MMO economies (I hope that changes soon), but I think processing we be the weak link when it comes to making the most money. Gathering can be dangerous because of other players, and crafting actually makes a completed item (and better crafters can give better bonuses). Processing 2 Iron ore into 1 iron bar from the safety of your node seems like it would deserve less pay. I don't know about processing, unless you can carry more processed goods (better inventory slot efficiency) it seems like it will be lackluster.
  • Options
    Drag13 wrote: »
    Processing 2 Iron ore into 1 iron bar from the safety of your node seems like it would deserve less pay.
    It does, unless there is only 1 person that can do that (at max level) for every dozen harvesters collecting that iron ore and dozen crafters that want to use that iron bars.
  • Options
    noaani wrote: »
    Processing 2 Iron ore into 1 iron bar from the safety of your node seems like it would deserve less pay.
    It does, unless there is only 1 person that can do that (at max level) for every dozen harvesters collecting that iron ore and dozen crafters that want to use that iron bars.

In your scenario I would agree, I would prefer to assume people would quickly fill that whole in the market, and EVENTUALLY remove that monopoly. Though considering how many nodes there are, it might be difficult the have a convenient processor at all times.... HMMMMMM.... MAKES ME THINK!??!?!?!?? I suck at economics. It does seem reasonable that there wont be every type of possible processor in the most convenient places at all times. I need to think about this more...
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    noaani wrote: »

In your scenario I would agree, I would prefer to assume people would quickly fill that whole in the market, and EVENTUALLY remove that monopoly. Though considering how many nodes there are, it might be difficult the have a convenient processor at all times.... HMMMMMM.... MAKES ME THINK!??!?!?!?? I suck at economics. It does seem reasonable that there wont be every type of possible processor in the most convenient places at all times. I need to think about this more...

It is also a case of people needing to move and re-establish themselves if there is a massive shift on the server - somethign that will happen often.

People may level up a processor to fill a need, but these people are unlikely to stick with it if they need to completely relocate and get re-established.
  • Options
    Yuyukoyay wrote: »
    How fun they are depends on their methods of implementation. As long as it's not just doing it from a menu and that is it I think it has a lot of potential. I want mini games to be associated with them so I have a chance to have fun doing them.

Thats my hope as well, nothing to crazy, cause I don't want it to get out of hand scoop wise, but if it's close to what FFXIV have in a way, then I would be on board. If they do have the time down the line, it would be cool if crafting was in someway a challenge, but that's just a fantasy thought
  • Options
    PlagueMonkPlagueMonk Member
    edited August 2020
    lunarsky wrote: »

Yeah, it does which is why I'm somewhat worried about it being implemented in its current state. A lot of people may avoid it which could cause issues with the economy and supply.

On top of that, part of me wants to see it just rolled into gathering or crafting depending on what it is. It seems weird that a weaponsmith, for example, can craft elaborate weapons but can't smelt ore or how a miner can make their own mining picks (which would require shaping the metal into an axe) but can't smelt ore either.

Weaving, Tanning, and Butchery make a bit more sense but the smelting bothers me for some reason.

I would tend to agree with you that processing may be the tradeskill most avoid. It doesn't have the excitement of finding and discovery (not to mention the danger factor) and it also doesn't have the satisfaction of creating and selling a finished product. It would be something some will do as a necessary evil to get to the end craft I fear.

It might be better to organize it into just 2 categories; Gathering/Processing and Crafting.

You would then roll the processing component into the appropriate gathering skill. All the mechanics would still be there however so things would still need processing.

So mining/smelting, hunting/tanning/butchery, lumberjack/milling, etc.

You could make the argument to have processing attached to the craft side (both make sense) but I feel the end crafter needs to be focused solely on the end products. Plus it gives the gathers something more to do when they return to town, instead of just dumping their raw product on the nearest merchant.

Some could even choose to specialize in the processing component. Maybe they don't want to search for things but are more than willing to buy the raw product and refine it. The gathering component would still be fully available to them however. (or vise versa so maybe you aren't interested in processing but like to gather)
    Nagash wrote: »

It sounds like fun to me. Time to make some mummies

Yes, if anyone should be a vocal advocate for a weaver/tailor it would be you Nagash. Can't have mummies without someone to make those bandages :)

isFikWd2_o.jpg
  • Options
    There are all types of people, and a lot of them like making money no matter the process. If there are no processors than the value of those goods will skyrocket just because of supply and demand, which will encourage people to participate in it. Who knows what the implementation is, but some people will like to queue up 30m of processing, go watch a TV show they were going to watch anyway, and 30m later, boom, their rich.
  • Options
    plusbrian wrote: »
    There are all types of people, and a lot of them like making money no matter the process. If there are no processors than the value of those goods will skyrocket just because of supply and demand, which will encourage people to participate in it. Who knows what the implementation is, but some people will like to queue up 30m of processing, go watch a TV show they were going to watch anyway, and 30m later, boom, their rich.

This, 1000%. If there's a role that needs to be filled, someone will fill it. With it not being as exciting, there may not be as many processors, which means it could be more lucrative. Personally, in a game that's going to be as stressful as I predict this one to be (coming from LotRO, at least), I'd appreciate a chance to queue up some processing, organize my inventory, update my spreadsheets, actually check in with my guild-mates because I suck at multitasking, etc.
  • Options
    It'll depend on how many people are willing to role alts with processing. I can see the initial attempt of people trying to overcharge for it and get bypassed altogether.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East