Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Skins - can you skin/transmog anything?

I got wondering is how transmogs/skins gonna work. Is it gonna be that for example you can only transmogs heavy armor with heavy armor skin, or you can transmog heavy armor with light armor? Or your horse mount make wolf mount?..

If you can transmog anything, I think its stupid. I think it should be limited to the type of piece you are skinning at least, so you could not make yourself look like mage, when you are wearing heavy armor (I know there will be that icon, but its just a workaround to an invented problem). Or if you have horse type mount, you should only be able to apply some other horse skin, not a frog, wolf or whatever.

Does anyone know what are limitations to transmogs?

Comments

• Options
    I don't know but i think there shouldn't be any skins or transmorgs
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Cosmetics
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Skins

It looks like you make your self look like what ever the skin is. It don't say that it has any limitations based on what you are wearing. It also says that the skin is a full package deal. It looks like you can't just take the gloves and helm from one set. Then use the chest and legs from another. I would be happy to be wrong about that.

I don't think that we are getting a robust system like FFXIV or WOW. It looks more like it is going to be like Tera or ArcheAge. Once again, I am begging to be wrong about that.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    Don't think we know much about this yet, and the final "restrictions" etc. can be finalized late in the development process.

While I do play FFXIV and skin/glamour my character to look nothing like my class/job, that's mostly down to there not being enough variation in gear around, so I have to resort to other types of cosmetic items.

With AoC, I hope they make enough different gear to obtain, that you don't feel the need to skin your character in ridiculous ways. If you're wearing heavy armor, it's fine to use a heavy armor skin though, because that doesn't break the immersion.
  • Options
    arsnnarsnn Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    edited August 2020
    Vhaeyne wrote: »
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Cosmetics
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Skins

It looks like you make your self look like what ever the skin is. It don't say that it has any limitations based on what you are wearing. It also says that the skin is a full package deal. It looks like you can't just take the gloves and helm from one set. Then use the chest and legs from another. I would be happy to be wrong about that.

I don't think that we are getting a robust system like FFXIV or WOW. It looks more like it is going to be like Tera or ArcheAge. Once again, I am begging to be wrong about that.

I was looking for an answer on that as well.
    The people i asked on twitch and discord shared the consensus that there will be a mix and match transmog or at least cosmetic system. Someone even dropped a screenshot of a dev quote, but i didnt save it unfortunately.
    Though i can imagine things are not set in stone on such a system, i dont know about the heavy/medium/light armor stuff as well.

Personally id like to see an in depth cosmetic or transmog system, it would increase the visual customization a lot without having to pump out art assets like crazy.

• Options
    BotBot Member
    I'd like a system like Archeage where you can just image individual pieces with the same type like cloth with cloth, katana with katana, and shield with shield for example.
  • Options
    NelsonRebelNelsonRebel Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2020
    Minkku wrote: »
    I don't know but i think there shouldn't be any skins or transmorgs

Little late for that lol

I don't see anything wrong with it, people want symetrical and matching armor, skins, or to mix and match unique armor pieces to create their ideal character designs.

Really in combat, you almost never are going to have enough time to care about what type of armor someone's wearing. So whenever I hear the argument "I can't tell what they're wearing" well even if transmogs weren't a thing you still wouldn't be able to tell with lots of different armors looking similar to metallic pieces on different types.

What most people in most games look at are health bars to see if they can kill them quickly. Which in AoC is going to be better for because you get a threat bar, and a semi-heath bar without actually seeing the amount.

Those two are far more valuable than the aesthetics of what one wears. Simply due to how armor in games never looks like what you'd imagine the types to be in many cases.
  • Options
    NelsonRebelNelsonRebel Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    You got to remember that between making a game more realistic or making it better. You almost always make it better.

There are of course exceptions to where making a game more realistic does make it better, but limiting people's character designs for cosmetic personal decisions isn't one of them. That is more of a personal issue of you wanting it to be more realistic rather than a game with people having cool cosmetic appearances
  • Options
    I would love to play a good game with no skins/transmog/cosmetics, but unfortunately I came to the conclusion that you either have a good game but full of skins/cosmetics or you have a shit game. That might change in the future, but it very much looks like that is our reality today.
    🎶Galo é Galo o resto é bosta🎶