Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Items creep in inventory (gathering tools)

Steven said that quest items will not share normal inventory space (thats very good), but what about other items? Like gathering tools, materials, etc. With such in depth crafting system, I guess there will be lots of various tools you will need to use.

Are these tools gonna clutter inventory space?

From what I undertood gathering will be somewhat similar to GW2, where you need specific quality gathering tool. And that tool has durability, so you can only use limited number of times. What it does, that then your inventory is cluttered with various quality of gathering tools. For example, let say you are mining and need to have picking axe. So for low quality ore, you have low quality axe, for medium ore, medium axe and so on (because using higher grade axe on lower quality axe would be a waste). And then, when some axe has low durability, you make an extra and clutter inventory even more.

If this is how its gonna work or its different somehow?

Comments

• Options
    There was at least talk about different backpacks with one of them beeing specificaly for gatherables.

For tools. It could also be similiar to FF14. In FF14 tools have two stats one that helps you with gathering the material and another with getting high quality material. You always wanted the best tool even for low level mats as
    a) repair costs were a joke
    b) Higher chance to gather would move your chance to gather up from say 80% to 100% (at 100% it capped out though)
    c) Higher chance for high quality mats

If course I do not know how mats and tools work in ashes (for example are there even different forms of quality on the mats??)
  • Options
    as I understood from Steven, its kind of similar to Guild Wars 2 gathering. Where specific quality gatherables, require specific quality tools. So higher quality gatherables require higher quality tools. And that would clutter inventory with lots of tools.

I think it would be cool, that you could have one tool for each gatherable (wood, herbs etc) and then you upgrade it. And it would not punish you if you would gather low quality stuff with high quality tool (maybe reduce durability less respectively or something). And if there is gonna be special intenvory for those tools, then its even better.
  • Options
    Gbolt wrote: »
    as I understood from Steven, its kind of similar to Guild Wars 2 gathering. Where specific quality gatherables, require specific quality tools. So higher quality gatherables require higher quality tools. And that would clutter inventory with lots of tools.

I think it would be cool, that you could have one tool for each gatherable (wood, herbs etc) and then you upgrade it. And it would not punish you if you would gather low quality stuff with high quality tool (maybe reduce durability less respectively or something). And if there is gonna be special intenvory for those tools, then its even better.

My guess is that you will be able to mine lower quality resource nodes with higher level tools as well.
  • Options
    phdmonster wrote: »
    Gbolt wrote: »

My guess is that you will be able to mine lower quality resource nodes with higher level tools as well.

Probably, but will it be worth it. I mean if higher level tool is more expensive to replace (as it has durability), it might be a waste to use on lower level stuff